//1

Chasing Butterfly

Mingyu was running late. 

He was so excited about entering his first year of university that he spent the night before tossing and turning about in bed with anticipation. And now, he was regretting it. He ran as fast as his long legs could carry him.

"MINGYU-HYUNG! WAIT!" A voice panted.

Mingyu slowed down into a slight jog waiting for his friend, Seungkwan to catch up to him. In between pants, Seungkwan muttered under his breath, "Why do you have such huge strides?" Mingyu chuckled, barely giving the latter any time to rest before pulling Seungkwan as he started running again. "Good lord. I hate tall people."


They barely made it in time for the initiation ceremony and were currently seated in a huge auditorium. Seungkwan, being extremely outgoing, had already made friends. As Mingyu shook his head with a small smile, he closed his eyes tuning out the inneccesant chatter. He couldn't believe he was here. He had worked so hard to get accepted into Kyunghee University. Hard work does pay off. He thought to himself.

"Good morning freshmen of Kyunghee University. I am the Dean of the school and I will be addressing you today." 

The hall was quiet and all eyes were focused on the small man on stage. Formalites and expectations were exchanged, and soon enough, they were dismissed from the ceremony. Mingyu stood up and stretched. 

"Hyung, what are you going to do now? Are you going home?" Seungkwan asked.

"Nope," Mingyu replied before continuing, "I think I might just explore the school. Afterall, it's quite surreal. How are we here, Seungkwan?" He let out a smile that could rival sunshine.

Seungkwan mirrored the smile, "I know, hyung. I know. Well then, I'll see you at home!" He waved and bounded out of the gates.


Mingyu decided to tour the school blocks. He was in the College of Music, doing what he loved best. The white, pristine walls made the place look bigger than it was. There were small booths lined in each hallway that allowed students to practice music. They were fully soundproofed with only a small window to see if the room was occupied. At the end of each hallway, there were a couple of classrooms. Mingyu stood at the door, as his body reeled with anticipation that he would be in this very classroom soon.

Thinking he could tour the blocks again, he switched to looking for good spots to have lunch. Mingyu stepped outside and breathed in the fresh air. Spring was here. It'd be good to eat outside. He walked past the school field as he saw a couple of seniors playing an informal game of soccer. Not a good place to eat here, it'd be too noisy. He continued his mini adventure and finally ended up behind the school building. There were a couple of wooden benches. Cherryblossom trees provided some shade for these seats. Perfect. Mingyu grinned. He proceeded to take a seat enjoying some peace. He looked around. That was when he spotted her.

She was seated on a similar bench to Mingyu's. Her eyes were closed as she basked in the sunlight. She swung her legs to and fro, as she smiled happily, like she couldn't care about anything less. As if it was planned, a small gust of wind ruffled the trees and some cherry blossom petals floated down and lightly kissed her face. Feeling ticklish. she let out a small laughter.

Mingyu was mesmerised. He felt his heart beating at insanely fast rates. Blood rushed to his ears and he wondered if she could hear his loud thumping. Mingyu plucked some courage, determined to get to know her. As he stood up to approach her, she bounded from her seat and headed in the oppposite direction. Stunned by her abrupt movement, Mingyu was rooted to the ground. He stared at her disappearing back as his mouth gaped open. His curiousity was peaked. If he was 100% determined to get to know her before, he was now 170% sure.