B.I.

All Work, No Play

“Today is a big day.”  He looked himself in the mirror.  The stare looking back at him was almost convincing, but who was he kidding?  He laughed at how serious he got.  Drying his face and hair with a towel, Hanbin walked out of the bathroom and into his plain white room. “Today is a big day”, he reminded himself before getting ready.

 

—-

 

It was five in the morning and Chanwoo had to drag Nahyun’s out of bed, literally. It was a weird sight, but what was weird anymore for twins?  It was Monday again and Nahyun just wanted to wrap her self in her thin blanket. Well, not her blanket, but Chanwoo’s.  Sometimes she would climb into his bed and steal all his blankets, just like when they were little. 

“You can keep the blanket if you get ready.  You are stinky.”  Chanwoo pushed a drowsy Nahyun towards the bathroom.  She grumbled and disappeared down the hall.  

 

——-

The office was alive and buzzing, even at 7 in the morning.  Word had gotten around that the VP position had been filled and everyone was rounded up for the announcement.  Donghyuk was in the middle of describing his and Junhoe’s crazy night out when CEO Kang entered.  Suddenly, the room got quiet, except for loud Donghyuk who hadn’t seen the CEO enter.

 

“We ended up in the stripclu…” Donghyuk stopped, saw how quiet it got and automatically sat down.  CEO Kang nodded to him and cleared his throat.  

As an older man, CEO Kang was strict and reserved.  Though dry, he was a great business man with an empire of top stars.  Known for its multifaceted idols and actors, Ikon entertainment was among the top companies.  Even now, as he stood up with his plain black and white suit, CEO Kang commanded attention.  “As many of you have heard, VP Jang was too risky to keep had to be let go.  After a lot of thought, I have decided to fill the VP position.”

Whispers made it its way around the room.  CEO Kang cleared his throat once more and the room went silent.  “This new executive is…different.   It will be a change for most of you, but I believe for the better.  Not only with this executive help me with decisions, but will have direct participation in production, music videos and choreography.”

 

A couple of gasps resounded, especially from Nahyun.  She was not used to anyone touching her choreography.  She had a reputation for creating routines with minimal help.   She didn’t need any help, especially not from an old, balding man.  

“This is new, but be patient and open-minded.  The parameters of his duty will be specified to each department later.  Now if you would, please welcome Ikon entertainment’s new VP, Kim Hanbin.”

Everyone turned their heads to the door.  A silhouette showed a moderately tall person with nothing, but a phone in hand.  The door peeped open and out walked a man, a young man.  Whispers once again did their rounds.  No one was expecting a VP like this.  It was almost insulting.  The man was dressed in long Khaki colored jeans, an untucked light blue dress shirt, a loose white tie, all topped off with a silver watch.  First impression was that he was young, younger than everyone imagined.  

 

“He looks like a college kid” Junhyeong commented.  “So do you” Bobby snickered.

His hair was combed to one side and he had a small smile on his face.    Bowing, he introduced himself as “I’m Hanbin, but I’d prefer, B.I. No VP, no Mr., just B.I.”

He continued, “As your new VP, I hope to work well and hard with all of you.”  B.I. scanned the room in order to assert an unsaid dominance.  

At this point, Nahyun was judging him up and down.  He reminded her a lot of those douchey entitled jerks from her high school.  She looked down towards his feet and noticed shiny white Nike’s with a black and gold check mark.  “At least he’s got good taste in shoes”, she shrugged.  

 

B.I. seemed to catch Nahyun’s shrug and let his eyes linger a little longer than he should have.  Clearing his throat, he said, “Thank you for having me.”

 

——

 

By lunch, the young and desirable VP was still a hot issue, especially amongst the cordi-noonas. The trainees gossiped so much that coaches from all departments had to scold them.  

It was almost amusing to Nahyun, the way everyone was making such a big deal over B.I. 

“What’s so good about him anyways?  He thinks he can just walk in here and be the boss of us all.” Junhoe complained.  Junhoe was never great with change.  Jinhwan gave him the look and Junhoe asked, “What?!?  I’m just saying what everyone wants to say.  You’d think that Jinhwan would be the best candidate for the job, but no, it has to be a new person who will change everything!  Everything!”

 

“Change can be good” an airy voice joined the conversation.  B.I. sat down on an open seat that was meant for Donghyuk.  Everyone was speechless, except for B.I.  

“Let’s get this straight.   I’m not here to replace any of you.  I’m here to improve the services.  If you want to be negative, I won’t stop you.  All I ask for is a chance.”   B.I. made eye contact with everyone before nodding and departing.  

Junhyeong raised his eyebrows.  He wasn’t sure whether to be offended or amused.

 

Nahyun chuckled and stood up.  “Well, I guess I have some improving to do.   See you guys later.  Dinner at our place tonight, okay?”  The boys nodded and stood up to returned to their jobs.

Nahyun made her way to the studio and as she was about to open the door, she saw CEO Kang sitting in front of the mirror.  “Shoot” she groaned, knowing he wanted to see the girl group dance.  She always had trouble choreographing feminine dances for this girl group, not because she couldn’t, but because this particular girl group was more cute than they were y.  But, y is in style and she doesn’t really have a say in the theme.  

“Kill me now” she murmured and opened the door.  But, there was more than just CEO Kang waiting.  Next to him sat B.I., awaiting her arrival.

 

“Perfect timing, Nahyun.  I presume the dance is complete.  Shine Idol wants a video so that they can study good shots for certain moves.” CEO Kang said.  

“It’s done.  Would you rather see it on me or on the girls?” Nahyun asked while plugging her computer into the sound system.  

“The girls, preferably.”  CEO Kang said which was cue for his assistant to get them.  CEO Kang’s phone started to ring and he left to answer it.  This left just Nahyun and B.I. in the room together.  B.I. was on his phone so Nahyun stretched in the corner silently.  It was a little awkward, but Nahyun didn’t pay attention to it.  After five minutes, everyone came back in.

The girl group grouped around Nahyun.  “Do your best guys!  Remember, don’t overdo it.  Tease a little and no peace signs.”  The nervous group nodded and assumed their positions.  Body Party started playing and the group  was actually doing better.  They finished and quickly scrambled into a line.  Nahyun looked at CEO Kang to see if he liked it or not.  He had a pensive look on his face, almost as if he if had to poop.  

 

“Crap, he doesn’t like it” she thought to herself.  After a few silent seconds, CEO Kang nodded to B.I., who nodded back.

“It wasn’t appealing.  With the utmost respect, I didn’t feel anything.  This choreography is too much for them, it basically overwhelms them.  It felt like they were young teens trying to be women.” B.I. criticized.  The girl group was shocked.  Sure, CEO Kang was a strict man, but he always gave positive feedback after negative feedback.  

“I don’t know whether this is their problem or your problem, Nahyun.  Why don’t you try it so I can see whose problem it is?”  He politely smiled at Nahyun which she read as complete bull.  

She peered over at CEO Kang who nodded in approval.  “Fine, ughhhhh” she groaned in her head.  

Nahyun set the song from the beginning.   She posed and waited for the beat. 

 

 

After performing the full dance, she stood up and bowed.  

Looking at B.I. for approval this time, she saw how he took a deep breathe.  He had one hand brushing his chin and the other crossed over his waist.  

“Is it my problem?” She asked, a little attitude in her voice.  

B.I. cleared his throat and shook his head, “Their problem.  Now if you would excuse me.”  B.I. got up quickly, quite uncomfortably at that too and swiftly walked out of the door.  

 

He thought that no one would see, but the girl group definitely saw how “excited” he was. 

 

Junghee, one of the girl group members, gave Nahyun a thumbs up to which Nahyun grinned and walked away.