Chapter 04

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

A week later, Jongdae and Minseok unloaded the equipment from the boat and headed towards their cabin. Passing the main living room on the way, some of the other divers came over and dragged them both, much to Jongdae’s protest, to the television.

 

“Quiet Jongdae. This is important,” one of the senior divers scolded and Jongdae had no choice but to sit there with a frown and a slight pout.

 

Someone turned the television on and Jongdae almost groaned when he was greeted with the same boring newswoman with her loud, boring and monotonous voice.

 

While everyone was distracted by the news, Jongdae took the chance to quietly run away, when a hand pressed him back down into his seat hardly. He looked up to see the same senior diver that had scolded him earlier glaring at him. It was hard resisting the urge to whine and complain, but he managed. With the glare and the TV , he felt compelled to watch the news, to his dismay.

 

“...now live footage of the celebration is currently being played,” the woman boringly announced.“Park Chanyeol, how is it over there?” she ask so carelessly in a monotonous voice that it almost sounded like she loathed her job and would rather colour her nails in the comfort of her own home. Or maybe she's just as boring Jongdae had thought.

 

“It is great! It couldn't have been better!” the man answered, a huge smile plastered on his face. He was way too bright and enthusiastic for Jongdae’s taste.

 

“And our first interview candidate is this beautiful young girl named…” he pointed a microphone towards a girl.

 

“Kim Yeri…” Jongdae stopped listening from there. He didn't understand how watching the news was so important. Nobody's going to learn how to dive by listening to a monotonous female voice and interviews made by over enthusiastic guy.

 

He glanced at the senior diver from the corner of his eye and smiled when he noticed that the latter was paying his full attention on the newswoman. He took this chance to relax and close his eyes. Might as well rest until all this boring stuff is over.

 

Next thing he knew he jolted awake from his nap when he felt a jab in his ribs. Jongdae glared at Minseok with his squinting eyes as he rubbed the sore part.

 

“Jongdae,” the same senior diver called, “can you tell me what is this about?” He gesture to everyone in the room, he frowned when he realized everyone was looking at him.

 

“I was taking a nap.” Jongdae scratched his chest.

 

“Well, since you're well rested,” the senior diver took step forward, “you should go to the capital with your partner.”

 

There was a heavy silence as Jongdae let the information sink in.

 

“What?” he said. Minseok sighed and Jongdae turned to him. “What?” he repeated.

 

“Your partner was awake. I'll let him explain everything to you then.”

 

The senior diver left after dispersing the divers that watched the situation. Jongdae could have swore he heard some of them groan in annoyance. Next thing he knew, he was dragged by Minseok to their room.

 

Confused, Jongdae blinked at his partner. Minseok raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“What? I was sleepy.” the younger said.

 

“Jongdae, that's not what's important right now,” his partner sighed, “Right now, he just choose you to go to the capital to guide the diver graduates and travel with them to our section for the annual training or something he mentioned. And the military chief will be coming with us along with the princess.”

 

Jongdae froze for a moment before his fists clenched tightly, muttering “Why does Kim Jongin need to be involved?” under his breath.

 

“Annual Divers’ Training as in graduates spend a month here gain experience with us?”

 

There was a visible gulp coming from Minseok.

 

“What do we do? I'm going to get discovered if the princess hangs around me for too long.” The older said as he sat down, his elbows on his knees and his hands holding his head.

 

“If we really are the ones that will guide the graduates, when do we have to leave?”

 

Lifting his head from his hands, he answered: “Tomorrow.”

 

“Alright,” Jongdae took a deep breath before continuing, “Do you know how to hide the fact you have locked powers?”

 

Minseok shook his head as an answer and said: “Honestly, I have no clue. I assume I can see things like everyone else and that there’s no weird aura that surrounds someone with powers. Only if we knew how the princess find outlanders, maybe we could find a solution.”

 

“So you are saying you have no knowledge on outlanders yet you are one of them?”

 

“It’s not like we can go to the library and look for a book that explains everything about outlanders. Last time I did that at the Bronze district library, the librarian gave me this disapproving look, said they were locked up and kicked me out. I was smart enough to wear a mask ‘cause the next thing I knew, security was right on my tail and I had to run until I reached the woods to shake them off.”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter