Chapter 13

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

The final examination day had arrived. Everyone was gathered at the old auditorium that was also used for the students to meet their trainer at the start of the Annual Divers’ Training. Jongdae and Minseok lead their two students into the room where Donghoon and Yoonmi were waiting with their new trainers.

 

“Youngmin!” Donghoon called.

 

“Donghoon! I missed you bro!” Youngmin called and they both hugged each other tightly.

 

“Don't they see each other every night? They share the same room.” Jongdae directed the question toward no one in particular. Nobody answered him as usual. Scratching his nape to rid himself of his nagging awkwardness before he turned to Yoonmi who seemed quite happy.

 

“You seem quite cheerful despite having the final examination right around the corner.” Jongdae told her.

 

“I'm going to see my brother again after this, so even if I fail the examination, he will be there to comfort me.” She answered then turned to speak energetically to her female diver trainer. Jongdae felt left out of their conversation, so he turned to Sehun and Minseok.

 

Oddly, Sehun was staring blankly at the empty stage, looking as if he was contemplating whether the final examination was worth doing or that it was better to leave and forget the month of training.

 

On the other hand, Minseok seemed like death was approaching at any moment. Beads of sweat were rolling down his face and he was fiddling with his fingers.

 

Ever since Jongin’s visit announcing that the princess will be back for the ending ceremony of the Annual Divers’ Training, Minseok had been actively trying to convince Jongdae to join him in his escape. The younger could not understand why the other desperately wanted Jongdae with him on his quest to change people’s opinion of outlanders.

 

“Excuse me. I, Senior Diver Kim Sunggyu, will represent the divers’ section’s chief once again for the final examination. I'll ask all trainers to leave this room as the instructions for the students will start shortly.”

 

“Baby Face! If this is the last time I’ll see you, I want to tell you that I enjoyed mocking you.” Youngmin said to Minseok with a bow, “You will be missed.” He added before marching away, towards a seat in the room with Donghoon.

 

Minseok nearly forgot to say goodbye to Youngmin back before returning to his deep thoughts as if nothing had happened.

 

“I will be going.” Sehun announced and left for a seat in the room.

 

“Good luck!” Jongdae called out and the student responded by turning his head, nodding, before continuing his way.

 

Seeing Minseok still spaced out with beads of sweat rolling down his temple, Jongdae dragged him out of the old auditorium.

 

“What's going on?” The younger asked.

 

“Do you really want to stay? Even if you have the possibility of getting caught and dragged away to suffer whatever they do to you?” Minseok asked, almost desperate.

 

The other let out a long sighed.

 

“No matter how much you ask or beg, I will not leave. You know how much I love diving and I'm not about to give it up, because I am afraid.”

 

The older looked like he had really given up, as his shoulders slump down with a faint sad smile appearing on his face. Jongdae couldn’t understand what his friend was thinking at all and it made him uneasy. However, he didn't have time to ponder as a certain princess tightly wrapped her arms around his torso.

 

“Jongdaedae~!” Princess Yoonju chimed.

 

“Oh hi.” the younger diver absentmindedly said, looking around for Minseok who had mysteriously disappeared in the meantime.

 

“Jongdaedae!” The princess called again to get his attention.

 

“Yeah yeah…” He mumbled, still looking around for his friend as he tried prying the girl’s arms off without putting in any effort.

 

“Kim Jongdae!” She raised her voice, tightening her embrace while looking up at his face. This time, she got his attention.

 

“What is it?” He asked, surprised at her outburst.

 

“Why are you distracted?” She asked calmly.

 

“I was looking for my diving partner. He suddenly disappeared.” Jongdae said, looking around one last time as he tried to gently pry the princess’ arms off him. However, the girl only held on tighter and buried her face in his chest.

 

“Don't look for him when I'm here.” She mumbled into his chest.

 

“But it's a little worrying when somebody suddenly disappears when I get distracted.” He said with his arms in the air, not knowing if patting her back was alright.

 

“Princess Yoonju!” her bodyguard, Seokjin, called.

 

Before he even arrived next to the two, the girl had suddenly let go of Jongdae with a frown.

 

“Your diving partner, his name was Kim Minseok, right?” She asked and the diver responded with a nod.

 

The Princess swivelled around, her back facing the diver and walked off. Her bodyguard that had just arrived next to Jongdae quickly ran off to catch the girl and followed close behind her.

 

The young diver was a little shaken at the sudden change of attitude of the princess. Normally, she'd stick to him until her bodyguard dragged her away, so it was a first when she let go of him and leave. Not to mention the bodyguard is pretty clumsy and he keeps losing track of the princess.

 

Pushing the thoughts of the princess

Please log in to read the full chapter