Fourteen: Kyuhyun

This Was No Accident (it was a therapeutic chain of events)

“Well?” Kyuhyun asked, smoothing down his clothing a little self consciously. “Tell me the truth. How do I look?”

To Kyuhyun, Changmin’s clothing had always looked terribly complex, full of folds and creases, tucks and ties, and all kinds of intricate wraps. Changmin’s clothing, when he had to dress to impress, was like a maze, and Kyuhyun felt lost in it right now.

Maybe he just felt lost in general. He still wasn’t sure if he’d lost his mind completely, volunteering to take Changmin’s place and essentially put himself right in the lion’s den. He only knew that there was nothing more important to the Captain than the elusive Eye he’d been chasing down the better part of his life, and Kyuhyun couldn’t let it slip through his fingers so easily.

Part of Kyuhyun had half expected Choi Siwon to see through their plan, or refuse the swap.

But here he was, wrapped up in Changmin’s silks, his makeup done by Ryeowook who was a man of even more talents than Kyuhyun had expected, waiting for approval from the Captain and Zhou Mi.

“You certainly fit he part,” the Captain whistled out.

Zhou Mi said evenly, if not a little airily, “You’re the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen in my life, Guixian.”

If Kyuhyun was honest with himself, he only really cared what Zhou Mi thought of how he looked.

Before showing the two of them his new look Kyuhyun had caught sight of himself in the nearby mirror. The pinching of Changmin’s clothing on him really did wonders to make it look like he had curves, pulling in at a his waist and then flaring out around his hips. And the gold and red of the silk fell against his skin like a gentle river, creating the tiniest of ripples whenever he moved, which was especially pleasing to see. It was easy to see how the single outfit cost more than Kyuhyun usually made in a year.

Additionally, right before Changmin had gone back to sleep, his body currently being ravaged by a second wave of fever that Jaejoong was still fighting to bring down, he’d instructed Ryeowook how to do his makeup. It was the most Kyuhyun had ever worn in his life, and far more than Changmin had put on him over the past few days in a jokingly way. Instead of faint, neutral colors, Kyuhyun’s face felt heavy with the dark liner around his eyes, the blush on his cheeks and the foundation that smoothed out the tiniest of imperfections of his skin.

“The most important part,” the Captain said, circling Kyuhyun, “is that all of this makes you look younger than you are. Looks that way from where I’m standing.”

It was probably because the eyeliner made his eyes look bigger, and the clothing hid his growing frame easily enough. He could pass for sixteen now, and judging by how fast Siwon had accepted him as a replacement, that certainly interested him.

“He does,” Zhou Mi said, and Kyuhyun could still see all the rumblings of anger that had been prevalent in Zhou Mi earlier when he’d looked like he was going to punch a hole in the ship over the switch.

Kyuhyun had never seen him so mad. It had honestly been a little scary, hearing Zhou Mi raise his voice to a yell at the Captain, kick over a nearby crate and accuse them of putting their own selfish needs before Kyuhyun’s welfare.

Kyuhyun certainly didn’t feel like anyone was taking advantage of him, and it wasn’t as if the Captain had been the one to suggest the switch.

“Are you ready for this?” the Captain asked, putting his hands on Kyuyhun’s shoulders and holding him at the distance. “Are you sure you want to do this? Mi and I will do everything in our power to protect you down on the planet, but it’s impossible to know what might happen.”

Kyuhyun squared his shoulders. “I can do this.”

Zhou Mi swore, “All you have to do is pretend to be interested in whatever Choi is saying. Just stay in the ballroom. Don’t go anywhere we can’t follow. And believe the Captain when he says we won’t let anything happen to you.”

Taking a deep breath, Kyuhyun said, “This is going to work out, Mi. Don’t look so worried.”

The Captain ducked out of the room, headed for the bridge and Zhou Mi said, “How can I not be, Guixian? You are always beautiful to me, but you are exceptionally so right now.”

His fingers came up to brush along Kyuhyun’s jaw, and knees feeling a bit weak in the proverbial sense, Kyuhyun was still as in love with Zhou Mi now as the day they met. There was something really lovely anyway about the way Zhou Mi had swept in, pulling the man off of Kyuhyun during the street brawl they’d met during. How could it not have been love at first sight, when Zhou Mi had offered a hand down to him, asked him in his deep, handsome voice if he was okay, and then offered to help even the odds.

“I find it impossible not to watch you light up a room,” Zhou Mi continued, “and now Choi will get that privilege. He is a predator, a monster and a killer. And by now you must have heard about Changmin’s fears concerning him. You’re asking me to put you in a room with him. You’re asking me to draw his attention to you.”

Kyuhyun crossed his arms, the extra material at his sleeves making it a little difficult, but not impossible. “I know we’re trying to make me look like I’m sixteen, but I’m not actually that.”

“I’d worry if you were thirty.”

“My point is,” Kyuhyun stressed out, “I’m not a child. We’re not putting a child in this situation. I’m an adult, Mi. I can handle anything Choi throws at me, especially if I have you down there to watch my back.”

Zhou Mi leaned his forehead down against Kyuhyun’s. “I’m not ready to watch him touch you. Not with the intent he will have.”

Kyuhyun leaned forward, pressing his lips against Zhou Mi’s. It had to be a quick kiss, the kind that they rarely shared, because there wasn’t time for more. And if Kyuhyun dared for more, his clothing would surely be rumpled and his makeup destroyed before they were in proper orbit above New Haven.

“I love you,” Zhou Mi said, one of his big hands at Kyuhyun’s waist. “Very much.”

The Captain’s voice echoed back to them, “We’re on final approach! ETA five minutes.”

“I love you too,” Kyuhyun said back, sneaking in another kiss. “Now stop making me look debauched.”

Zhou Mi gave him an unexpected leer. “Changmin’s clothing doesn’t just make you look beautiful.”

“Yeah?” Kyuhyun hooked an arm around the back of Zhou Mi’s neck, leaning up against the taller man. “What else?”

Zhou Mi was, without much variation, exceptionally gentle. And he’d always been that way with Kyuhyun, almost afraid to touch him too roughly or even too suddenly. But all of that was gone now, Zhou Mi’s powerful arms gathering Kyuhyu up without warning, hitching them together in a provocative way.

“If I had my way,” Zhou Mi promised him, “I’d lay you down on our bed right now and peel every single layer from your body. This clothing, it makes you perfect for the taking Kyuhyun, and I’m but a simple man with frighteningly short willpower when it comes to you.”

Ignoring everything else, Kyuhyun kissed him deeper, feeling the heat in his belly grow into more than just need. “You always say the best things,” Kyuhyun teased, pressing kisses all along Zhou Mi’s jaw.

In an almost scary show of strength, Kyuhyun felt himself being pushed back against the nearby wall, Zhou Mi’s hands at his waist and lifting him up a second later. And they were kissing and kissing and kissing until oxygen was a serious matter, but then Kyuhyun was only gasping for air for a second before they were locked together again, his hands pulling at Zhou Mi’s shirt instinctively.

Behind them, a voice cleared, and Ryeowook said, “If I have to do your makeup again, Kyuhyun, I’m going to be very upset.”

Zhou Mi let out a sigh and lowered Kyuhyun’s feet down to the floor. “Later,” his lips promised against Kyuhyun’s skin.

Kyuhyun needed a few extra seconds to get his feet under him. But he was soon fixing his clothing, touching up his hair and relaying to Ryeowook, “Thank you for your timing, which continues to be amazing.”

Ryeowook gave a short chuckle. “You’re welcome. Now stop making out like you’re both teenagers.”

Rolling his eyes, Kyuhyun kissed the corner of Zhou Mi’s mouth and said, “Excuse me dear. I have a former friend to drag towards the airlock.”

Zhou Mi laughed loudly and at the very least, Kyuhyun was glad he’d lightened the mood just a bit.

Ten minutes later Kyuhyun, Zhou Mi and Yunho took the ship’s shuttle down the New Haven. Kyuhyun had been on plenty of Core planets before, even Persephone which was considered to the be the jewel of the Alliance. But nothing really prepared him for New Haven, which was lush and green with forests for miles to see, and grand homes built like fortresses, sprinkled in between. The sky was a clear, perfectly blue, and when he stepped outside of the shuttle at the checkpoint, the oxygen was so pure it was almost hard to breathe.

Security, as expected, was tight, but already playing his role, Kyuhyun leveled a bored and almost irate look at the head of security manning the checkpoint and said, “I think you’ll find that Choi Siwon is expecting me. And he isn’t the sort of man to be kept waiting.”

Hours earlier Changmin had said to him, “Kyu, confidence is everything. People will believe almost anything, if you can first sell it to yourself. Be confident. Don’t say anything you don’t want them to believe.”

The head of security retorted lazily, “Mister Choi is expecting a great deal of people.”

“Is he now?” Kyuhyun asked. To his left he could see his information being processed. “I’ll be sure to let him know how hospitable you’ve been when I see him later tonight.”

Tension was knotted deep into Kyuhyun’s back as he waited to be processed. Yoochun had claimed to be a forget by nature, and a good one at that. But he’d been cutting it close to the deadline with producing the necessary paperwork to get them planet side. And now was when they played the waiting game.

The man running their data went sheer white and his eyes jerked up to Kyuhyun with a mixture of awe and respect.

Behind him, Kyuhyun swore he could feel Yunho and Zhou Mi relax just slightly.

“Apologizes,” the man stammered out, ing a data screen at the captain of the security force

The same screen that was most certainly relaying that Kyuhyun was a Companion and Siwon’s personal guest. “We had no idea you would be coming in so soon! You’re at least an hour ahead of the projected time table!”

The captain of the force paled as well, realizing his mistake and called immediately for an team. “Companion!”

Kyuhyun would have given anything to burst out laughing in that moment, watching men scrambling around to take his luggage--the precious trunks that were supposed to contain clothing and necessary items, but in fact had their weapons and supplies.

This was power, Kyuhyun realized. He’d never had a thirst for it before, and he still didn’t, but it was something he could instantly recognize as desirable. Having people fall over themselves to help him, revering him, and doing it all because of a simple title …

In that moment Kyuhyun respected Changmin even more. It was clear how easily it was for someone to become addicted to the power that came with being a Companion. To the best of Kyuhyun’s knowledge, the Companion’s Guild was a deeply spiritual and philosophical organization, but even that didn’t seem a match for the feeling of euphoria linked to having so much power. Not that Changmin ever showed it for a second. Changmin was humble and kind and all the things that power didn’t usually lend itself to.

“This way,” the captain of the security force directed, gesturing for Kyuhyun to follow him. “If you’ll follow me we’ll take you directly to your transport. It’s about a ninety second trip to the estate, but if you need anything, please let me know. I’d be very, very honored to get it for you.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. “Oh, no, I wouldn’t want to draw you away from the other guests that are expected shortly. He’s expecting a lot of them, isn’t that what you said?”

The man looked quite nauseas and Kyuhyun forced himself not to press the issue, no matter how much fun it was to terrorize the man.

Kyuhyun had to take slow, even steps as he boarded the ground transport from the docking bay his shuttle had landed at. Changmin’s feet were about a size bigger than his own, and while he’d been able to pad the delicate flats he was currently wearing, he looked a bit odd walking if he didn’t take his time. Plus, Changmin had always walked slow, no matter if he was planet side or on the ship. It seemed to be a Companion thing, and Kyuhyun was very aware that blowing their cover over anything, could mean their deaths.

“But none as important as you!” the man told Kyuhyun quickly. “Master Choi has made it explicitly clear to everyone tonight that you are to be a great priority for us, be it keeping you safe or comfortable.”

“Hopefully both,” Zhou Mi cut in.

Kyuhyun said quickly, “I take it Mister Choi is aware of my two escorts?”

The man nodded, closing the door to the transport behind the three of them, and taking a step back for the launch. “We’ve been appraised that you’ve brought two of your own security, in light of some unmentionable troubles that Companions have been experiencing as of late. They won’t be a problem, Companion.”

“Good,” Kyuhyun said, seating himself.

The head of the checkpoint security took another step back and said, “Please remain seated for the duration of the ride. You’ll be met quickly at the estate and shown to your room so you can rest. Master Choi is extremely excited to make your acquaintance.”

Then they were off, shooting through a whirlwind of green towards something that would either make them or completely destroy them.

The sound of the transport’s engine was enough to mask their words from the driver, and as Kyuhyun let out a deep breath at the first hurdle passed, he heard Yunho mumble at him, “Relax. You’re doing fine.”

“You’re doing great,” Zhou Mi corrected.

Kyuhyun only wished he felt half as confident as they felt in him.

Ninety seconds later they were met by a short, mousey looking woman who was the first not to trip over themselves at the notion that Kyuhyun was a Companion. She took Kyuhyun directly into the huge estate, through a winding labyrinth of hallways and stairwells, and delivered him to a magnificently decorated guest suite.

“I expect you’ll want to freshen up,” the woman said, already heading to the door without so much as a look back. “Mister Siwon will meet you in an hour for tea.”

Kyuhyun startled, and he knew he wasn’t the only one. “Tea?” Gods, had he stuttered?

She gave him a pointed look, and said in a way that reflected how much she knew of Choi Siwon’s business, “Mister Siwon was expecting Companion Shim, with whom he is acquainted with.”

“Of course,” Kyuhyun said as quickly and casually as he could manage. “I agreed to come in his stead when he was temporarily indisposed so quickly. One could even call it, should the desire exist, a favor for a friend.”

The woman’s head dipped. “Perhaps. But the matter stands, Mister Siwon prefers to know his Companions well beforehand. Therefore he’s arranged, in despite of his incredibly busy schedule, to have tea with you in order to make your acquaintance. I take it this is amenable to you.”

Kyuhyun strolled the room, and despite his nerves clawing at him in a panic, he responded, “Please pass on that I am very much looking forward to meeting him, and that I enjoy milk with my tea.”

That was a Companion thing to say, right? Changmin particularly enjoyed spicy teas, but Kyuhyun was a coffee drinker, if the kind they had on the ship could even be counted as real coffee.

The second the woman, who was most likely Siwon’s assistant of some kind, was gone, Kyuhyun launched himself face first on the bed and let out a quiet, strangled sound.

“Are you okay?” Zhou Mi asked, at his side in a second, pulling him up from attempting to suffocate himself.

“Tea?” Kyuhyun questioned, looking from Zhou Mi to Yunho. “I have to have tea with him?”

Yunho gave a heavy sigh. “In which no doubt he’ll try to pry out of you something about Changmin, or test your credibility as a Companion. Minnie said this guy can smell a rat a system away, and I think we’re about to test that theory.”

“I don’t even like tea,” Kyuhyun wailed, falling back on the bed, his legs tangling up in the blankets.

Zhou Mi laid next to him, crowding in so close that for a half second Kyuhyun could believe that they were back in their bunk, and it was just the two of them.

“Stick as close to the truth as possible,” Zhou Mi coached him. “When you lie, thread as much truth in as you can manage. The best lies are the ones based in truth, and it’ll help you remember what you say, if he tries to go back and trip you up.”

The room was pleasantly cool, especially in light of the warm planet New Haven was, but all the nervousness crashing through Kyuhyun was making him feel extremely over heated. He pulled harshly on the high collar of his outfit, popping seams loudly as he stated, “No one said anything about me having to prove I’m a Companion. Not with some kind of inquisition.”

Across the room Yunho was kneeling by the trunk they’d brought with them. It had been delivered to the room just before them, and the relieved look on the Captain’s face said everything was still hidden safely inside.

“We don’t actually know he suspects anything,” Yunho said, sounding like he was trying to offer comfort. “It’s possible, but not definitive. Do what Mi says, Kyu. Stick to the truth where you can. Maybe Choi really does just want to talk with you. Maybe he wants to feel you out. Maybe he just really wants some tea. It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to prove anything. Your paperwork looks legitimate, Changmin vouched for you, and you know an awful lot about the Compaion’s Guild anyway.”

Kyuhyun took a deep breath. “What if he tries something?’

The hard look and promise of death on Zhou Mi’s face was intercepted by Yunho saying, “I have no doubt he’ll be expecting something of you before all of this is said and done, but for all intents and purposes, Choi Siwon does not seem the type to touch desert before the actual meal is finished.”

Zhou Mi rounded on Yunho angrily. “And what if he does? What if Kyuhyun is put in a dangerous situation?”

Yunho froze in front of the trunk, then with a beat more of thought, he straightened up and said decisively, “We’ll be there. We won’t let him go anywhere without us. And if Choi tries anything with Kyuhyun, we’ll end this.”

“Just like that?” Zhou Mi inquired, eyes narrowed.

“Just like that,” Yunho echoed, actually looking like he meant it, which was some peace of mind for Kyuhyun. “If Kyu is in danger, we’ll pull the plug. I swear it.”

Feeling a little stronger, Kyuhyun struggled off the high bed and through his overly layered clothing to stand. “Alright,” he declared, heading for the attached bathroom. “I guess I better get ready then.”

Tea, almost fifty-five minutes later exactly, was taken in a brightly lit greenhouse. It was an enclosed room, just off to the side of the estate, with glass walls and glass windows, boasting a magnitude of wild flowers, growing herbs, plants and even butterflies. Kyuhyun had to work extra hard as he fought not to let it show on his face how impressed he was. It was humid in the greenhouse, but not horribly so, and it was a strong contrast from the coldness of space Kyuhyun was used to.

“Well,” Siwon said, strolling up to Kyuhyun who’d been seated at a petite, charming table at the center of the greenhouse, a cup of tea already placed in front of him, “your picture does not do you justice.”

Kyuhyun nearly fumbled his cup and saucer as he got his first look of Choi Siwon.

“Neither does yours,” Kyuhyun replied, and it wasn’t a lie.

Choi Siwon was … well, Changmin had warned Kyuhyun that Siwon was exceptionally good looking, and also that he was charismatic and charming. He’d said that no matter what Siwon appeared to be, he was much more, and extremely dangerous. That wasn’t something Kyuhyun was going to forget.

However, in terms of pure aesthetics, Siwon was quite possibly the most handsome man Kyuhyun had ever seen. He was tall, dark and handsome, in the most classic way, with strong features, a bright smile and not even the barest hint that he was likely to blame for the death of a Companion not more than two years ago.

Siwon sat directly across from Kyuhyun, reaching immediately for the pot of steaming hot water, and prepared himself a cup of tea without saying a single additional word. Kyuhyun passed the time by focusing on Siwon’s long fingers as they stirred in sugar, and the knowledge that only a couple dozen feet away, both Zhou Mi and Yunho were keeping watch. They were just far enough away to give the illusion of privacy, but were within reach if necessary.

“I have to admit,” Siwon said, savoring the smell of his tea. “I was very much looking forward to seeing Changmin again. We’re old friends.”

Kyuhyun wanted to snort into his tea. That seemed unlikely. But instead he said, “Changmin contacted me as a possible replacement because he values your company. He imparted with me the absolutely need for me to preserve his reputation. He might have a soft spot for you.”

Siwon chuckled, fingers on the table. “That’s risky, for a Companion to state.”

Kyuhyun forced himself to swallow down a mouthful of biter tea. “Haven’t you heard? His retirement is on the horizon. I imagine he can say whatever he’d like at the moment.”

“I thought you took milk with your tea,” Siwon stated, giving him an indeterminable stare.

“Milk?” Kyuhyun looked down at the dark liquid in his cup and it was as if his brain had stopped working with how long it took him to remember that he’d told the woman earlier that he took milk with his tea. Forcing a soft laugh, Kyuhyun said, “Of course. You’ll have to forgive me. Nerves can’t be bred completely out of someone, no matter how the Guild tries.”

“Nerves?” Siwon asked, sipping his own tea. “What would you have to be nervous about?”

With fingers that he prayed wouldn’t start shaking, Kyuhyun reached for the pot of milk. “Before this,” he said trying to think of the details of the background Yoochun had created for him, “I’d taken very few clients. I am young, after all. Likewise, I doubt I would be human if I weren’t a touch nervous about meeting someone new, no matter the assurances Changmin gave me of your character.”

Milk in the tea actually helped. Kyuhyun didn’t think it tasted fabulous, but it helped. And so did the sugar he added afterwards. It as easier to choke down the next time he took a sip, trying to avoid the way Siwon was staring at him.

“You’re young,” the man said eventually. “Your file said sixteen? I wasn’t aware the Guild allowed Companions to complete their training at such a young age.”

Something was prickling across Kyuhyun’s skin, and he most certainly did not like the direction the conversation was going.

“I was exceptionally young when I was taken in by the Guild House on Helios. And yes, it is uncommon for a Companion to debut so early, but not unheard of.”

Siwon reached out across the table, his fingers brushing over Kyuhyun’s as he said, “Then you must be exceptional, exceeding your beauty.”

The pressure on Kyuhyun’s fingers was enough to make him want to wrench his hand away, but instead fully aware that everything could be resting upon this moment, he pushed the digits more fully into Siwon’s grasp and said, “I suppose that will be for you to discover.”

It must have been the right thing to say. It had to be, despite the way Siwon let go of his hand. Because there was a pleased look on the man’s face.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Siwon said eventually. “Now, about tonight.”

“Your birthday gala,” Kyuhyun said knowingly.

“It’s more posturing than anything else,” Siwon waved off, reaching for a nearby cake snack and offering half to Kyuhyun. “Simple minded fools with far too much influence will be in attendance, no doubt to ply me with their unwanted praise in an attempt to foster business deals. But you, Companion Kyuhyun, you won’t have to deal with any of that. Instead it is my greatest hope that you’ll grace us all with a performance. Am I correct in stating you specialty, just as Changmin’s, is your voice?”

Kyuhyun’s heart was beating so hard he was certain Siwon could see it through his chest, and also as he lied, “It would be my pleasure to sing for you what ever you might prefer to hear.”

The teacake that Siwon had offered him tasted like ash in Kyuhyun’s mouth.

“Something heartfelt,” Siwon decided. “I want to feel it in my soul, when you sing. I can’t imagine there’s any other reason for singing. Do you agree?”

At the very least, for Kyuhyun this was a subject that he felt much safer discussing.

“I agree,” Kyuhyun said, trying his tea once more. It seemed to be getting better, he more he acclimated to it. “I’ve always felt that way. Music’s purpose is to lighten the heart, and make you feel something in your soul. It should be a beautiful experience for the audience, and emotionally overwhelming for the performer. If it isn’t, then I feel as if the purpose is lost.”

“And you feel it in your soul, I can tell. You’re the real thing.”

“The real thing?”

Siwon reached for his hand again, this time more suddenly, and Kyuhyun startled. Behind them Kyuhyun heard the shuffle of feet and it must have been Zhou Mi or Yunho or both of them ready to spring into action.

“I hardly think you need protection while you’re here,” Siwon said, not letting go of Kyuhyun’s hand, but his eyes cutting narrowly to a dangerous look. “I hope you don’t think you’re in danger here. There’s certainly nothing that could have given you that impression.”

Kyuhyun forced a laugh and an eye roll. “Of course not. But there has been a rise in crime particularly aimed at Companions as of late, and these are Changmin’s men, anyway. I brought them with me to satisfy him. I certainly don’t think you’d allow any danger to befall a guest in your home.”

“No,” Siwon agreed curtly.

Kyuhyun requested dismissively, “Then ignore them. I do my best to. I can’t dismiss them without insulting Changmin, but they’re not exactly a bother, either. Gods know they don’t speak much, which is a blessing.”

Slowly, and in what must have been a deliberate move, Siwon raised the back of Kyuhyun’s hand and pressed a kiss to the skin.

It was, without doubt, the creepiest thing Kyuhyun had endured. But it was probably nothing compared to the Zhou Mi was likely having. If the made it back to the ship in once piece, gods willing, Kyuhyun foresaw a lot of groveling that would have to be done by several people, to improve Zhou Mi’s disposition.

“Now,” Siwon said, setting the napkin from his lap to the side so he could stand, “It would be a pleasure to bask here in your company for the rest of the night. However, there is a gala planned to begin in a few short hours, and I believe both of us have preparations to make.”

Kyuhyun stood on his own shaky legs. “I very much look forward to later tonight.”

It was remarkable what adrenaline and fear could do, in Kyuhyun’s opinion. Because until the moment Siwon was gone, and their tea was lukewarm at best on the table, Kyuhyun was able to hold himself together. He was able to maintain the façade, and not for a second looking an iota of how scared he actually was of the person Siwon was.

Then he didn’t have to, because Siwon was gone, no one was looking, and Zhou Mi was holding him up with a tight hug.

“You’re okay,” he heard Zhou Mi whisper in his ear, and there was another warm, familiar hand on his back that had to be Yunho’s.

Kyuhyun let himself cling tightly to Zhou Mi for just a moment more, then he got his feet back under him, took a few steadying breaths, and said quietly, “That is the scariest man I’ve ever met in my life.”

Yunho, who ran a comforting hand across the back of Kyuhyun’s head, said, “You did well, Kyu. He was testing you. But I think we’ve dodged a bullet.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, relaying to them, “It’s something in his eyes. You guys weren’t close enough, but I’m telling you there’s something in his eyes that isn’t right.”

“But you’re okay now,” Zhou Mi said quickly, palming the side of Kyuhyun’s face. “Look at me. You know we wouldn’t have let him hurt you, right?”

Kyuhyun could barely register the words, and pushed on, “It’s so unsettling, you know? He looks so handsome. And he seems nice. But there’s this edge to him … this unspoken bite. I look at him and I … I know he killed that other Companion. I know he’ll kill me, if I give him a reason. And I know he’ll do it all without having to think twice. That man is terrifying.”

“Come on,” Yunho said, giving Kyuhyun a small tug. “Let’s go back to your room. You can rest for a while and then we’ll get you ready for tonight. Changmin made sure we’d be able to get you dressed in what he picked out.”

“You can’t be serious,” Zhou Mi said, pulling Kyuhyun away from Yunho as if he were the enemy. “We can’t force him to go through with this anymore. Look at him!”

“We’re not forcing,” Yunho snapped back.

Kyuhyun rubbed his fingers across his forehead where a headache was building. “I said I was scared of the guy, not that I was backing out of the plan. I mean, I guess part of me wants to, but I can see the bigger picture. And I’m stronger than all of you give me credit for. I can still do this. Just stop fighting. We have to work together.”

“Guixian,” Zhou Mi said kindly, “no one will think less of you if you don’t want to do this anymore.”

With a sigh, Yunho added, “You can back out now, if you want. The party hasn’t even started.”

“No,” Kyuhyun declared, “I’m good. I swear.” And he sort of was. For the most part, at least.

They made the trek back to his room in pure silence, and once they were tucked safely away, Kyuhyun made a beeline for the bathroom and the spacious tub in the center of the room. Living on a ship meant awkward moments of body odor and personal hygiene that was a fight to keep up some days. Kyuhyun and the others did their best, but there were no huge tubs to take baths in, or that much water for a bath either. With hours before the gala, this was something Kyuhyun had been planning to do from the first moment he’d seen it.

And a few minutes later, sinking down into the steaming hot water, Kyuhyun was sure he knew what the afterlife would entail. He dumped in a few bath salts that immediately made the room smell like jasmine and lavender and thought just for one second that if everything went to hell in the coming hours, at least he could die happy.

A solid knock sounded at the door and then Zhou Mi peaked his head in.

“If you’re going to ask me one more time if I’m okay, I might throw some of my bathwater on you.” Kyuhyun hoped he sounded serious.

“I won’t ask,” Zhou Mi said, entering the bathroom and then shutting the door solidly behind him. He made his way to the tub and knelt down next to it. “But I am worried. Choi really shook you up. Don’t deny that.”

Kyuhyun pulled his knees to his chest, water rippling around him. “I mean it when I say that is the scariest man I’ve ever seen in my life. But I also believe that you’ll have eyes on me tonight. You won’t let him take me off anywhere secluded, and if it comes down to it, I can defend myself. I’m not helpless.”

“I never thought you were,” Zhou Mi said, leaning over the rim of the tub to steal a kiss. “But we made vows to each other. We made a commitment. I protect you and you protect me. We watch out for each other. Correct?’

Kyuhyun nodded, then leaned his chin onto the edge. “I just want you to know that I’m going to do this. You don’t want to be distracted from what you have to do, wondering if I’m going to blow our cover or get into trouble. Later tonight Yunho will be with me. He’ll be in the ballroom the whole time, and you need to be cracking the security system. You do your part and I’ll do mine and we’ll get away with it.”

Zhou Mi’s fingers dragged across the top of the water. “Okay.”

“Good.” Kyuhyun gave him a sly look. “You want to get in here with me?”

“Do I ever,” Zhou Mi laughed. “But we’ll really be late for the party then.”

Kyuhyun gave him a playful slashed and for the next twenty minutes, Kyuhyun got to enjoy his bath in peace.

The clothing that Changmin had decided for him to wear was infinitely more complex than what Kyuhyun had worn to arrive in. The gold trim was a standard, the mark of the House on Helios, but instead of red that made him look like a phoenix, Kyuhyun had Zhou Mi and Yunho carefully help him dress in a pristine white. Zhou Mi said he looked like an angel and Yunho seemed to agree. Kyuhyun just felt the pre jitters that came with knowing he was soon going to have roughly three hundred eyes on him.

A quick look in the mirror showed his recently reapplied makeup was perfect, making his brown eyes look even more bold, and the blush giving some color to his skin.

He looked perfect. He looked ready. He just need to feel that way now.

Yunho told him one final time, “When we get there Zhou Mi will complain of a stomach ache. You give him the go ahead to retire to the bathroom, where no one will bother him, and that’s when he’ll make his move. The second you excuse him, you’ll have to keep Choi distracted and entertained for the entire rest of the time. Still think you can handle it?”

“I can,” Kyuhyun promised. “I won’t let you guys down.”

The ballroom was magnificent. With vaulted ceilings, chandeliers and a twenty piece orchestra, it was something out of a movie. Kyuhyun couldn’t help spinning a bit around, wondering if he’d ever see anything so beautiful again in his life, or be somewhere as opulent. He even couldn’t wait to get onto the dance floor. Surprisingly Onew, who’d come from a fairly well off family, had given him a crash course in the dancing he’d be expected to do, and Kyuhyun was excited to put his knowledge to the test.

Kyuhyun cut through the crowd like butter, feeling powerful as they parted for him, some whispering about who he was, others mere staring. He tried not to pay them much attention. Siwon. He was looking for Siwon. Once he found the man, and gained his attention, he wouldn’t let anything take it away. He’d be glued to Siwon’s side the entire night, even if it meant he had to flirt, or let Siwon paw at him.

Finally, after two circuits of the room, and fifteen minutes, Kyuhyun spotted the tall figure of Siwon. His back was to Kyuhyun and he looked to be speaking with an older, distinguished looking man who shared enough facial features to likely be his father.

Kyuhyun was nearly to him, Zhou Mi and Yunho dropping back to take their positions, when Siwon turned. His eyes lit up at the sight of Kyuhyun, then they raked over him, no amount of lust concealed.

“You’re a vision,” Siwon said, gliding over to Kyuhyun’s side. He pressed an almost provocative hand down Kyuhyun’s back and said, “You’re an angel.” He said it so differently than Zhou Mi had, and now the comparison left a bad taste in his mouth.

A second more, however, and Kyuhyun froze.

It wasn’t possible … there was no way he was seeing what he thought he was seeing.

As Siwon continued on about someone he wanted Kyuhyun to meet, the only thing Kyuhyun could do was stare back towards Zhou Mi and the Captain. He couldn’t call out to them. He couldn’t verbally tell them they had a huge problem, but maybe if they saw his face …

“Here we are,” Siwon said, arm out to guide Kyuhyun along.

The Eye. All Kyuhyun could see was the eye.

And it wasn’t where it was supposed to be. In fact it was in the worst place it could have ever possibly ended up.

It was attached to a chain, hanging obnoxiously from Siwon’s neck, and there was absolutely no way they were going to steal that off his body.

Kyuhyun had no clue what he was supposed to do next.