Chapter 2

Words Left Unspoken

“Soojung-ah? What are you doing there” Sunggyu said incredulous. No matter how many years have passed since she was given the name Baby Soul he still called her by her real name.  

 

“I was tired from practicing so I was taking a nap. What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be practicing in Infinites practice room?” she said faking a yawn. She was completely awake now.

 

“Yes, but they’re cleaning our floors. How long have you been there?”  Sunggyu said starting to feel self-conscious.


“Not long. Man this is so embarrassing,” admitted Baby Soul

 

Sunggyu started to laugh and was suddenly struck by the hilarity of the whole situation. 

 

“What?  She exclaimed. “Why are you laughing?” asked Baby Soul embarrassed, but she started to laugh as well watching Sunggyu

 

The tense atmosphere dissipated and they both sat down on the benches.

 

“What were you practicing for so long that you fell asleep here?” asked Sunggyu

 

“It was actually an infinite song, but I just can’t get this move right” answered Baby Soul

 

“Oh really?? Which one is it? I could help you,” offered Sunggyu

 

“No way. Really? You really don’t have to. We were going to do BTD but I seem to be the only one that just cant get the timing right” said Baby Soul. She really needed the help, but she couldn’t get herself to ask him.

 

“Is it the main dance part? If so it’s hopeless. I learnt it really quick, but I dont about you. Not everyone can be as good as me you know” goaded Sunggyu.

 

 He loved to make fun of Baby Soul cuz she was always so tense and straight laced. Whenever she got irritated you could see a little of her real self, and her facial reactions were always so amusing.

 

“I’m sure if you could do it, I can too” answered Baby Soul annoyed. She unconsciously puckered her lips and set to work on the move determined to prove him wrong.

 

And fell straight on her stomach.

 

She didn’t know what was more embarrassing. Failing the move in front of the songs originator or hearing Sunggyu cracking up afterwords for almost a minute. Both she supposed.

 

Baby Soul covered her face in embarrassment while she was still lying down face down on the ground. She just couldn’t face him anymore.

 

Watching the super mature Baby Soul falling straight on her stomach Sunggyu couldn’t help but laugh and her refusal to get up afterword was just too cute.

 

“Its okay. Get up. Get up. I’ll help you” said Sunggyu, traces of laughter still in his voice.

 

Baby Soul just couldn’t. She was too embarrassed. She slowly got up and stood with a crooked back, her eyes downcast

 

Sunggyu thumped her on the back “Ya! Have some confidence. I’ll give you a private exclusive lesson. Here’s a trick I used to do when I first started.” Sunggyu showed her the trick and gestured Baby Soul to follow. Although it was slightly easier Baby Soul still had a hard time.

 

“Ah I see. Your legs are at the wrong angle and you’re getting up too slow. Here do it again but faster this time,” suggested Sunggyu. Baby Soul got on the floor to try again. She got into the position and then felt a pair of hands on her ankles and legs.

 

“Ya, straighten it out completely.” Said Sunggyu straightening her legs and mentioned her to try again. When she started to get up she heard him say “Now!” and she quickly catapulted up and landed perfectly in position.

 

“Ahhh!! I did it!” Exclaimed Baby Soul and gave Sunggyu a huge smile, dimples deeply embedded in her cheeks.

 

Sunggyu felt proud as if he had himself just landed the position. “Great job Soojung-ah!” and caught himself smiling just as big. Whenever Baby Soul smiled her whole face transformed and she looked as if the heavy load on her shoulders were not there.

 

Baby Soul was excited to finally have aced the move. She tried it 3 more times and landed perfectly. She sat on the ground still marveling at what just a change in angle and timing can do. Sunggyu grabbed them both waters and sat on the ground opposite Baby Soul.

 

“You have to remember though that just landing the position is the first step. The hardest part is making sure everyone does it at the same time and at the same angle.“  said Sunggyu handing Baby Soul the glass of water.

 

“Thank you. How long did it take you guys?” asked Baby Soul quenching her thirst.

 

“You don’t wanna know. I just hope you guys learn it faster. What else are you going to do?” asked Sunggyu.

 

“We’re thinking of also having a solo performance for one of the main vocalists” answered Baby Soul.

 

“Why don’t you do it? I never really hear you sing these days. People should know the great Baby Soul,” said Sunggyu smling at Baby Soul.

 

“I’ve had my solo’s before debut to show some of my singing. The other kids should have their chances too” smiled Baby Soul.

 

Baby Soul was younger than Sunggyu by 3 years but he was always impressed by her maturity. They’ve been friends for a long time and he sometimes felt like she was an old soul stuck in a young body. Yet at the same time she looked so small and fragile, making the people around her want to protect her.

 

Music was dimly playing in the background and neither of them spoke for a while. The comfortable silence soon became heavy with words left unspoken.

 

“I should go now. I have a prerecording soon. Thank you for your help today Sunggyu Sunbaenim” said Baby Soul bowing to Sunggyu,, again the sunbae and dongsaeng.

 

“Ahh yeah. No problem. Bye” said Sunggyu awkwardly.

 

Baby Soul left and Sunggyu tried to practice what he had left off, but thoughts rushed through his mind and he couldn’t concentrate. “Ugh not again” he said to himself. He turned the music up and forced himself to practice his moves.