20014 / 1999

Crush

 

2014

"Hi sunshine!"

"Hi Debbie…" the young boy said and took a seat by the counter, he placed his heavy bag by his side and pulled his books from it along with half eaten pen.

The waitress looked at him with a smile as she placed a glass of coke in front of him "Tyler, sweetie, the burger is already on the grill, please don’t eat your pen"

The boy raised his gaze from the books and noticed the pen in his mouth, he chuckled and took it out "oops"

"Big exam?"

"Big one, huge…and I know absolutely nothing" he said rolling his eyes.

Debbie laughed "don’t be such a drama queen"

"I'm serious! If I won't make the exam…then I would have to take another course through my semester break"

"Oh…!" she became serious immediately and tapped his cheeks with her jewelryed hand "don’t mess up"

A little bell in the diner's kitchen rang and Debbie went to take the orders, she placed a plate in front of Tyler before she made her way to the other tables, Tyler smiled and let go of his books, he took big bite from his burger and chewed slowly.

After he ate his lunch, Tyler moved from the counter to take a seat in one of the privet booths where he could study without any interruptions, Debbie filled his mug with hot coffee once in a while and brought him some sweets when he asked.

The place was pretty loud but it was ok, it was better then being alone at home and try to focus on such a boring task, the diner was better.

When it became dark and it was time to go home Tyler closed his books and collected his things into his bag, he made his way to the counter to pay for his meals, pulling his wallet from his pocket he gave Debbie the money and waited for his change.

Quiet tone rang in his bag and he hurried to pull his phone "yoboseyo?" he said with a smile, his Korean accent was melodic as he said his lover's name happily, Debbie gave him the change and he leaned to kiss her cheek before he waved goodbye and got out of the diner.

"Taeminnie…"

"I thought you'll call me earlier" the boy said as he walked out on the cold street, he zipped his jacket up to his chin and crossed the road, making his way home.

"I've been in a meeting with Appa"

"Oh…"

"How was your day, my love?"

"Pretty boring, I have this HUGE exam that I'm studying for…"

Minho chuckled into the line, his deep voice tickled his ear and sent shivers to his body, he missed him so much "stop exaggerating"

"I'm not" Taemin said with a sweet whine "if I won't make it I would have to take another course through my semester break and that's means…no Korea till the next break"

Minho's chuckles drifted "you're coming, right?"

"I don’t know" the boy teased "I guess I'll have to work really hard"

"So do! I miss you"

"Me too, so much…"

Silent held the line for a moment before Minho spoke again "just two weeks from now and I could hold you in my arms again"

"Two weeks" Taemin repeated with a longing smile.

"I love you, take care"

"I love you too baby, I'll call tomorrow"

1999

 

Minho looked at the little boy who sat on the bench, he was crying for 15 minutes now since lunch break has started, in his hand he was holding a little carton of milk, it spilled to the floor drop by drop slowly because he wasn’t holding it right, he was too busy crying.

"Minho!" his friend called and caught his attention "are you playing soccer with us, or not?"

The 8 years old boy shook his head "maybe later…" he said and glanced at the little boy again, his friend shrugged and told the other kids that he won't join them this time before he left.

Minho walked toward the little boy and took a seat by his side, his tears had dried immediately and he looked embarrassed for being caught crying.

"Anyonghaseo" Minho said with a smile.

The little boy raised his teary dewy eyes at him "anyonghaseo" he mumbled quietly.

"I'm Choi Minho, what is your name?"

"Lee Taemin"

"Hi Taemin. Why are you crying?"

The little boy sniffed and wiped his eyes "I want to go home, I want my Umma"

"Why? Are you sick?"

He shook his head.

"So what happened?"

"I don’t like being here…"

Minho frowned "here, at school?"

He nodded.

"Why?"

"I don’t like first grade"

"But it's just the first day of school how can you tell already if you don’t like it?"

"Because I don’t know anybody and I don’t have any friends" Taemin said and tears sprang in his eyes once again.

Minho smiled "that's not true!"

Confused, Taemin blinked repeatedly "it's not?"

"No! You know me, I've just told you my name"  

"You did...."

"And you told me yours"

"I did…"

"So, that's mean we know each other and we can even be friends"

"We do?"

"Nae! You see, it's not such a bad day after all"

"It's not" Taemin said smiling, it was the most beautiful smile Minho ever saw, he had big puffy lips and few missing teeth making him look angelic.

"So don’t cry now, ok?"

"Ok" Taemin said and got up from the bench, his foot stepped in a puddle of milk and he looked down, his lips made a little 'O' shape "I spilled my milk"

Minho took off his bag from his shoulder and placed it on the ground, he opened it and pulled banana milk carton "here, you can have mine"

Taemin smiled again and hugged him tightly "Komawoyo"

Blushing, Minho looked down at him, the boy let go of him and opened the carton carefully before he sipped from it, the milk created small yellow mustache on his upper lip and he it quickly.

The school bell rang and Taemin pouted, he was too busy crying instead of enjoying his lunch break.

"Come, I'll walk you to class" Minho suggested and Taemin took his bag from the bench before he followed him.

"How old are you?" Taemin asked sheepishly as they made their way through the corridors.

"Eight"

"So you're my hyung…I'm six"         

Minho stopped in front of the first grade's door and smiled at the younger.

"Can we walk home together?" Taemin asked.

"Sure, I'll come to your class"

Taemin's toothless smile shown once again as he waved his new hyung goodbye and walked into the class.

 

 

Minho walked Taemin home as he promised, apparently the boy was new around and he barely knew the neighborhood, he moved only a week ago.

He lived across the street from his house by the little park where he played soccer everyday with his friends, he invited Taemin to play with them if he wants but the younger shook his head saying he hates playing with a ball, Minho laughed and called him 'weirdo' but it was ok, the boy laughed too.

"So, if you don’t like soccer, what do you do for fun?"

Taemin glanced at him and wrinkled his nose "in my old neighborhood I used to go to dancing class, but we moved…so I don’t know if I can still go there"

"You're dancing?"

"Nae, I like dancing"

Well, Taemin was definitely a weirdo to him, boys don’t dance, only girls…at least in his class and among his friends.

"…when I'll grow up I want to be just like Michael Jackson!" 

"Who is Michael Jackson?"

"It's that singer Umma likes, he's really cool"

Minho shrugged and Taemin stopped.

"This is my house…" he said and pointed on the big house in front of him.

"I live there" Minho said and pointed on the house across the street.

"Can we walk to school tomorrow?"

"Sure"

Taemin exposed his toothless smile and waved goodbye "bye hyung, see you tomorrow morning!"