Only One

Heart Songs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: I highly recommend reading this with the song playing in the background

 

Tiffany - Only One

 

I cannot write with lights on. I reach out to turn my desk light off although I want it to burn the steep darkness while I wait for you.

 

Why does it break my heart
Your frozen eyes
They seem to be crying
I want to go up to you and hug you

 

You are out for your evening drive along the bald part of the river bank because there are no trees after five and a half hours in the recording studio preparing so hard for your solo album, I suppose. Just kidding. How would I know. I texted but you did not reply. You are probably still working on a song. I liked “U R”. I think your sole voice does the song justice. I would buy twenty two copies of the demo version if that’s all you have to offer. And I think the lyrics are for me even when I know you did not participate in writing one word. Late night drives used to be our thing. Then you started doing it with other people. Then you got caught doing it with other people. Then we stopped doing it all at once. Because I did not feel like it was our thing anymore, when the whole world wants a seat on the back of your expensive coupe. Because too often times you are tired and you just won’t leave the house and you won’t change out of your comfy PJs. Because you are engulfed in insecurities and wary of securities. Hunky tall strange guys that remind you of my exes. Because you would think of yourself as the ant that would burn under the scorching beam of the magnifying glass. Because you are dried out from the tears that you have cried those nights you flew between Japan and home. Because you do not know anyone outside and outside everyone knows you. I was scared. I was scared that you felt lonely. I don’t want you to feel lonely. Not when you have me.

 

You can lean on me
When no one’s by your side
I’ll wait for you, always
Oh, you’re the only one for me

 

People say I’m competitive. If I run, I run fast. If I run fast, no one can catch up. Yet given you stood there at the pit stop, waving your blue wrinkled turban trying to make me stop so that we could go home, I’d stop. You can move me. I want to feel moved. I will follow wherever you are. I will walk your way, just as long as you’ll have me. Feel free to turn around and look at me. I’m pretty sure I would be looking at you. We will cross eyes and I will ask you to take my hand so we can walk onward, faster. I would still want to go ahead and sprint with my renowned perfectly proportionate legs because sometimes I have too, but I will pull you along. I will slow down and halt my breaths so you can breathe. I will give you the push you need, the shoulder you want. I will carry you on days you want to stop.

 

Even if you act alright
I can feel how exhausted you are
How long have you struggled alone
You don’t have to say anything
It’s only a painful past
I love you, always
Oh, your secrets too

 

You don’t want anyone near you. You’ve hurt so many. That’s what you said. You need someone. So many have had you misunderstood. That’s what I hear. I am here for you. You have always made me feel loved. That’s what I know. I want to be with you. I will care for you. That’s what I feel. Shhhhh. Hus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter