Colors and Promises

A Picture of Us

Baekhyun comes home from another long meeting with the theater company that's producing his script to find Suho crying over a large pot of kimchi soup. The elder is making way more food than either of them can eat alone and Baekhyun is sure their single neighbor, Do Kyungsoo, will be happy for the next dish in a string of Suho's leftovers. Kyungsoo is a chef and cooks quite well on his own so he doesn't need their extras, but he's told Baekhyun more than once that being active in a kitchen helps the soul. Recently Suho's been an emotional wreck so Baekhyun figures his boyfriend can use all the soul support he can get.

"When I come home and you're in tears like this I assume you're pregnant or something," Baekhyun teased Suho as he comes up behind his lover and hugs him from the back, pressing gentle kisses into Suho's nape while speaking.

"I'm a man." Suho's indignant but he isn't sniffling anymore so Baekhyun just smiles. "I can't be pregnant."

"True," Baekhyun concedes easily before he pulls away and kisses Suho's forehead softly. "But you are going to be a dad soon and I know that's what's bothering you, isn't it, love?"

Suho's eyes flutter shut as Baekhyun's loving gestures continue in the form of a rhythmic rub at Suho's back and a shower of kisses across his frowning brow. "Adoption is a big deal, babe," Suho reminds Baekhyun, eyes still shut. He sighs and stirs his soup blindly. "I've wanted kids forever and now it's finally happening and I'm just so happy but also nervous too because we're going to have a kid, Baek, and what if I'm not ready and what if I ruin him and what if I'm not a good dad and what if—"

Baekhyun stops Suho there with a whispered shush and a lingering press of his lips to Suho's quivering ones.

"Stop," he commands against Suho's mouth. Baekhyun stops Suho's hands which have frantically begun stirring the soup and he repeats himself after a silent moment. "Stop."

"I can't help it," Suho admits sheepishly and Baekhyun just nods because his lack of tears doesn't mean he is without the same worries as his lover.

"Me neither," he tells Suho as he kisses the elder again. "But being stressed isn't good for you, isn't good for us, and it's good for our baby, okay?"

Suho nods once and Baekhyun adds something else before leaving the conversation alone and moving to set the table. "You'll be a great dad. Love makes up for a lot of mistakes, Su, remember that."

The rice cooker beeps and the soup is done, so they eat their meal in loving silence, content because they understand one another so well that words are unnecessary in these sorts of moments. There are indeed lots of leftovers but neither is bothered because soon there will be three of them to eat it all, together.