Memory 45

You Said Remember Me

“I don’t think this is important but I’ll answer anyway because you’re my friend. I was curious, since you’ve asked me to send her home and I knew you wanted me to bring her back, so I decided to stop by and check up on her. That’s the truth,” Eunhyuk explained then said, “but I don’t understand why this has to bother you so much when we are as close as brothers, and you honestly understand that I would never bother looking at a girl you like as a potential.”

Eunhyuk’s eyes didn’t leave his friend’s.

“But,” Eunhyuk began, “if in the future things do turn out differently, and I do actually end up with feelings for her don’t feel disappointed because you might just be jinxing yourself right now.” Eunhyuk smiled at his friend warmly. “But I think your troubled feelings are making you moody so I won’t say anything. Come on, I’ll take you back to the hospital.”

Donghae was silent then suddenly said, “Nevermind. I’ll go back myself. I’ve just realized something, so you head back safely ok?”

Eunhyuk was about to say something to Donghae but he’d already turned around toward the road to get a taxi. Wondering what Hae was up to Eunhyuk watched him get into the cab then got into his car. Well since he was in Seoul he might as well check up on Hee Sun. He still needed confirmation to make sure that she was doing alright.

He parked his car in front of the dorm a few minutes later and tried calling her but she didn’t pick up. After leaving her a text and a voicemail he decided to go back home.

/////

Victoria nodded toward the police officer who’d been circling the block as she made her way into her home. After throwing down her bag she let Melodix out for a bit and was just preparing for a nice relaxing bath before sleeping, however the ringing of the doorbell stopped her. Turning the water faucet off she headed toward the oval window to see who was there but could only make out the skinny figure outside. Immediately recognizing him Victoria debated whether she should open the door or not. Feeling the guilt pressure her when she wanted to just ignore him and pretend she was asleep immediately pressed her. Giving up, Victoria unlocked the door and looked at Donghae.

“What do you want?” Victoria questioned. “Aren’t you supposed to be back at the hospital?”

“I got released today,” he smiled.

“Is that so? Then congrats,” Victoria nodded and began to close the door but Donghae quickly put his hand against it stopping her. Victoria looked at him curious.

“Can I come in?”

Victoria laughed at him mockingly, “Wow, I think this is actually the first time you’ve asked to come in.” Victoria paused, “No.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want you to.”

“I just want to talk. I won’t take long.”

“You just standing here is already wasting my time. Just go back to your summer house Lee Donghae,” Victoria ordered pushing his hand away from the door.

“It’s just…” Donghae began. “That question.”

Victoria waited.

“You know…about why I came to Seoul.”

Hee Sun’s words immediately flew back to Victoria. Why was the conversation she’d had with that little girl still so clear in her memory?

“Oppa deserves much better than that even if he came to Seoul for you,” Hee Sun said.

The words ran in circles in her mind and irritated her.

“I don’t want to know why you came to Seoul,” Victoria immediately spat the words out suddenly feeling nervous if he did confirm Hee Sun’s statement. “Just go back to the summer house or whatever. No, it’d be even better if you went back to Incheon and didn’t come back to Seoul. I don’t want to see you around so just go back to your normal life over there.”

“I…” he started.

“I said I don’t want to hear it,” Victoria cut in more aggressively. “Just leave.” She began to close the door but Donghae pushed it back.

“Just listen to me will you?” he asked.

Victoria stared back at him. “No.”

“Why.”

“I don’t want to.”

“You really aren’t even curious about why?” Donghae asked.

“Just go away!” Victoria felt herself shrink back when he suddenly leaned forward and kissed her. Literally taking a step back to break free she stared at him with wide eyes both shock and surprise spinning through her.

“I had a lot of time to think in the hospital,” Donghae slowly started, “I don’t pity you but sympathize with you. I feel very similar to you in many ways…the only reason I can think of is that I like you.”

It took forever for Victoria to regain herself again, “Don’t spout nonsense.”

“This isn’t nonsense.”

“Get out.” Victoria coldly demanded. “Don’t let me see your face either.” With that she walked forward and closed the door in his face locking it.

What was up with him? Suddenly saying this or that. Victoria heaved a sigh to let some of the burden she was feeling off her shoulder.

“Don’t let it get there,” Victoria told herself over and over before she walked back into her room.

/////

Donghae stood feeling a cold shock flow throughout him. Did he actually say what he just said? Or was he just letting Hyuk’s words get to him? Donghae turned around thinking hard. No, he was sure he wasn’t lying to himself or her.

“At least you did it,” he told himself.

/////

A loud shriek came from the closet sized room and suddenly a bunch of cosmetics and miscellaneous items went flying to the ground from the small desk. The young girl turned to look at her unni standing crossed armed in front of her bed staring down at her in victory. Hee Sun let out another loud shriek and didn’t stop until In Sook clasped her hand over to stop her. Hee Sun screamed again pushing her away allowing a loud sob to come from her this time. In Sook fell against the bed sitting on it and let out a gasp of disbelief.  

“I hate you.” Hee Sun’s voice shook with bitter hate, anger, and disappointment.

“You should have known about it when I asked you,” In Sook told then reached into the wallet in her purse and tossed some money at her friend, “here’s the other half of what he handed me. You can keep it to compensate yourself.”

“You’re crazy! You freaking crazy woman!” Hee Sun shrieked with all her anger shaking her hand then grabbed the money crumpling them up and tossed them back to In Sook, who stared at the money angrily.

“Just who are you to be messing with me huh?! Huh!” she asked getting up from the bed and pushed Hee Sun by the head and watched as more and more tears flew from her eyes and down her face. When she finished she just stood there with her chest heaving up and down as if she’d been running watching Hee Sun cry.

“I’m ruined. How will I face everyone?  Oppa will never look at me again,” Hee Sun continued to sob, “I thought you were my friend. How can you treat me like a pig?” Hee Sun cried again and again her sobs becoming a soft wail before she turned to In Sook grabbing her jeans. “Kill me! Just kill me! Kill me! Unni just kill me!!!”

In Sook let out a scream shaking Hee Sun off then stepped away from her. Frowning at Hee Sun she said, “I can’t believe I even thought about befriending you!” Turning away In Sook walked out of the room slamming the door behind her glaring at the girls who’d been listening in the hallway before heading down the stairs.

The hallway remained quiet with the girls all staring at each other urging the other to silently go in first. Finally a short skinny girl opened the door to Hee Sun’s room to find her on the ground crying helplessly.

“Are…are you ok?” she asked afraid.

Hee Sun didn’t reply or even look up at her but remained sobbing on the ground.

/////

In Ji turned to look up at when a knock on the door surprised her.

“Is it ok to talk?” Victoria asked with a smile.

“Why wouldn’t it be ok?” In Ji said. “Come in.”

“Sorry about last night. I was trying to set the two of you up but see seems things didn’t go that way,” Victoria explained sitting down on the chair in front of the desk.

“No big deal, but thanks,” In Ji told. “But you know? I don’t really need to get hooked up. I mean he’s a really handsome guy and it makes me feel all happy to see him but I can see he already likes you.”

“What?” Victoria asked. “Please don’t say those stuff to me. It sickens me.”

“I’m serious,” In Ji tried, “he wouldn’t talk to me last night but kept looking at you and Eunhyuk.” She paused then asked, “But aren’t you two going out?”

“What?” Victoria asked.

“Nevermind,” In Ji said.