One

X Degrees of Separation

1. 

Lee Howon was three when his mother gave him the impossible task of fending for himself amidst an entirely unfamiliar environment. One might scoff at the exaggeration now, but it definitely felt that way for his little body and soul when his mother dropped him off at the neighbourhood nursery during the middle of a school term. He clung on desperately to his mother, tiny fingers rolled into fists, stubbornly grabbing onto the collars of the only scent and body warmth he could recognise. 

 

And when the 'monster' eventually managed to pry him away from his safe haven, he did what all toddlers did best, he threw a fit and started bawling, struggling against a different body heat as he was carried into the classroom. Around him, a flurry of activities continued as teachers enthusiastically greeted the hordes of kindergarteners entering the school gates, and kids zig-zagged past teachers and zoomed straight into their playgroups. Everybody knew somebody, they were friends since the start of the term and played together each day. 

 

Among the children was a six year old boy with his tag proudly reading the name Kim Sungkyu, in the neatest handwriting he could muster no less. He kicked off his velcro shoes (because who could tie their shoelaces at his age) and flung them wherever his feet was pointing towards upon entering the carpeted floors of the school compound. It was an act his parents frowned upon deeply but at that moment he could care less; he had friends to meet and pokemon cards to trade. He was, however polite enough to remind himself to brake in his tracks to greet every teacher he saw along the way. That should make his parents proud.

 

Good morniiinnng Mrs Choi!!! 

 

Young Sungkyu shouted across the corridor at the sight of his favourite teacher. He caught sight of a 'blob' hanging resistingly over his teacher's chest, with cries that could challenge his dongsaeng at her worst and dashed off when he heard his greetings returned. 

 

Aisshh, babies these days are such crybabies. 

 

---

 

Later that day little Howon, awakened from his afternoon nap because the pillow didn't smell like the one he had at home, waddled out of the nap room, pacifier in his mouth. The carpeted floors were soft and provided his little run with ease and comfort, and his tiny feet picked up speed as he stomped left and right.

 

Door! 

 

He recognised that wooden frame with a huge glass window in the middle; that was the door he was cruelly torn away from his mother. He started to stampede towards it, gradually nearing it before his feet kicked against something in his path. Thud! He tripped, falling unceremoniously face down on the floor. The carpets cushioned his tumble so his injury was actually very mild and almost non-existent, but to mini Howon, the pain his midget body had to bear was unthinkable. 

 

Wh~Wh~Whaaaa!!!!! 

 

His pacifier rolled onto the floor, his screams boomed across the hallway and his cries loud enough to wake the entire nursery. 

 

---

 

A little bit after when he was back in the protective hold of his mother's embrace, with the teacher explaining apologetically that he had tripped over one side of a shoe a student (Kim Sungkyu) must have left carelessly lying on the floor, his mother made the decision that perhaps her sweet puff was still too young to be entering nursery and she would take full care of him just a bit longer. 

 

---

 

Howon re-entered nursery when he was four and ready to take on his playgroup, but by then Sungkyu had advanced to Primary one, ready to conquer the world (or just homework and exams; and shoelaces). 

 

---------------------------------

Author's Note: Hoya sharing his baby photos is the reason for this word dump.

He's so adorable and so squishy and so chubby and fluffy and please control me!!!

INFINITE's on their world tour and I just saw a photo of Hoya and I'm just askgsklkls!!!

Thank you for the people that are reading this!