Two

X Degrees of Separation

2.

Winter was a horrible season to endure, the nights stretched out way too long and even the days were bitterly cold. On a particularly chilly afternoon, the ground received an exasperatingly abundance of snowfall, bringing traffic to a standstill, and it took the Transport authorities an overwhelming number of hours to clear the roads for travel again.

 

High-schooler Kim Sungkyu sat huddled at the bus stop, wearing a thick coat two sizes too huge for his frame (he should really stop online shopping if the sizes don’t match the description), his head covered in a ridiculous orange beanie (hey when temperatures were this low one could care less about fashion) his mother had knitted for him a few birthdays back, questioning the heavens why the bus that was scheduled to arrive at his stop two hours prior had yet to make its appearance.

 

He lamented at his misfortune and threw out the occasional cusses or two as he peeked his head out of his makeshift abode, confirming that the roads were indeed void of vehicles before sinking back into the hard plastic seats. He wrapped his scarf a little higher, covering most of his face.

 

He was not only cold, having exhausted the last of his heat packs an hour ago, but was also ‘stranded’ in an area only a twenty minutes’ walk away from his home. He had refused to commence the walk back with his friends when they were released from school earlier that day, stating that the sidewalks were too frosty and slippery. And now, his own stubbornness dictated his continued persistence to wait for the bus simply because he had been at it too long to give it up.

 

Sungkyu hated winter with a passion because while it had the effect of turning him into an ice block, it also made him incredibly sleepy each time a gust of wind hurled in his direction.

 

He decided he’d just take a tiny wink because the drowsiness was definitely getting to him and…

 

Beeeppppp!!!

 

Sungkyu jolted awoke from his slumber, rubbing sleep away from his eyes as he saw that the roads were opened again, re-serving their purpose of ferrying vehicles from one point to another. If the roads were empty and bare before, the lanes were now packed with vehicles, with drivers tired and angry at the jam they were stuck in, their horns blaring a cacophony of ‘music’.

 

As he stretched himself against his seat, an incredibly soft and hot item came within the grasp of his fingers. That source of heat instantly radiated warmth onto his palm and into his heart.

 

Someone must have caught me shivering and offered me a heat pack. Thank you kind soul of this universe!

 

Sungkyu exclaimed inwardly as he glanced at his watch, only to let out a long sigh at the time that had flew by while he was napping. Seeing that the traffic wouldn’t be clearing anytime soon, he guessed he had to walk home after all.

 

---

 

Ah-Choo!

 

Somewhere five minutes from where Sungkyu’s bus stop was located, middle-schooler Lee Howon sneezed into his hands as he braved the arctic walk home.

 

Still, his footsteps were light and the boy was in a jovial mood.

 

Why you ask?

 

He had done a good deed that day by parting with his heat pack and given it to the homeless man asleep at the bus stop.

 

Homeless man?

 

Well, judging from that ugly colour of a beanie and the impossibly oversized coat, the man must have scrapped and picked up whatever he could find from here and there to keep himself warm under this harsh temperatures. Plus, nobody in their right mind would be sleeping out in the cold! That poor man had to be deprived of a home.

 

---

 

Later that night as Sungkyu snuggled in his bed, his whole being wrapped up neatly under five layers of blankets, he smiled affectionately as he was reminded of the heat that little pack emitted, and his mind sculpted possible images of the stranger that filled him with such kindness.

 

---

 

Ah-Choo!

 

Howon sneezed for the umpteenth time that night. He was definitely getting down with the nasty cold. So much for playing hero!

 

---------------------------------

Author's Note: Two reasons for the nonsense in this chapter really:

1. INFINITE's on their world tour now and we get to see them in their own outfits all the time aka Airport Fashion. I'm reminded of Hoya's comments on Sunggyu's fashion back in Ranking King. I quote him 'Sunggyu hyung thinks he dresses well. But I think the people who see him cringe a little.' Haha, it's true though cause I cringe when I find out about the prices of the outfits he dons! It's so expensive! Plus he loves wearing all things oversized so I had to do this. XP Sorry Gyu it's okay you're super rich in reality nobody will think you're homeless.

2. Hoya recently cameo-ed in Lovelyz's Ah-Choo MV (x) and I'm still not over how perfect he looked and I'd like to think that he sneezes all the time because there are people out there (me included) that constantly think about him.  

Comments are greatly appreciated and thank you for reading this!