-III-

Tan skin, salty hair

Jongin was acting weird.

Well, it wasn’t weird per say, but the boy sometimes forgot he was around Kyungsoo, loosing himself in space and zoning out. Other times, he would look at his phone and frown, although no message or call was there to bother him. He would inspect his surroundings thoroughly when they went for walks, almost as if there was someone watching them- which, Kyungsoo couldn’t deny, creeped him out a bit at times.

Kyungsoo asked the tanned male if something was wrong, or if something was bothering him -a couple of times, actually- but he only got a reassuring smile in return every single time, and not a single word. It really frustrated the smaller, because he really wanted Jongin to trust him and tell him what was on his mind.

It was a problem-Kyungsoo now realised, staying in his overly warm bed on a day that was too hot even for him- that he has been observing he had for a few days now.

It was the beginning of his third week here, and one and a half week since he started hanging out with Jongin. Also one and a half week since he started feeling more than just curious about the younger, but more so infatuated, or, there was no point in denying, strongly attracted to the younger. He had no intention in actually making a move, though he sometimes felt as if Jongin wanted something more too. Times when the younger would sit close to Kyungsoo on the sand, pressing the side of his thigh next to his.  Times when he would look at Kyungoo long and concentrated, the boy feeling his gaze on him even when he didn’t look-almost burning him.

All kinds of weird eye contacts and looks.

-but maybe Kyungsoo was just imagining things just because he wanted them to be true. He did want Jongin to feel it too- that slight tension in the air, whenever they would forget about the world around them, talking and talking until they no longer cared if staring was rude, or if looking at someone’s lips was innappropriate and not something that friends did-but that was only a part of the problem. Beside wanting to kiss Jongin until they both had no air left in their lungs, he wanted the boy to trust him, and tell him what was on his mind.

He didn’t even know when this all started. It was as if one moment he was irritated by the boy’s sassy and slightly arrogant attitude, and in the next moment he felt as if his skin was burning whenever he touched him, his eyes trained on the younger whenever he would laugh or giggle- his smile so gorgeous it made Kyungsoo want to die.

It was so strange, because all of Kyungsoo’s exes were so not like Jongin. They had been all fair skin and shy smiles and eyes, petite and in need of protection – because yes, Kyungsoo wore the pants in the relationship, if he were to put it like that.

And then there was Jongin, someone who didn’t need protection, unlike all of Kyungsoo’s exes. Tall, dark and sometimes arrogant and slightly rude, although with pure intentions and a warm heart underneath that cocky facade. His eyes daring, his laugh loud and his persona confident and independent, most of the times preferring to be alone rather than with the wrong people- very selective with the people he talked and hanged out with.

It made Kyungsoo’s toes curl whenever he would think about it. To realise that he had the honor – it sounded cheesy, but it was true- to know the real Jongin that hid behind that harsh appearance, and to be that one tourist that he actually grew to spend time with. Getting to know Jongin seemed like such a privilege at times, that it made Kyungsoo want to be extra careful and treasure whatever they had.

So the fact that Jongin felt as if telling Kyungsoo what was bothering him was a wrong move bothered Kyungsoo, because he thought themselves to be pretty close now. Maybe it was just him that thought like this, though.

So he stopped asking, hoping that whatever bad mood Jongin’s been having these past few days would just go away naturally.

That didn’t seem to be the case, however.

 

 

They decided to only meet when the sunt went down, because it was just too hot outside to even breathe. Besides, Jongin told him that this was the first day of a pretty well-known fair that took place in the center of the town every year. It was exciting to go there with Jongin, because he was sure they were up for a good time.

However, the boy still kept looking around weirdly every once in a while, zoning out while Kyungsoo kept asking him what to go see first.

„Maybe we should go in the ferris wheel first, since it’s not so crowded yet. I feel like there’re going to be a lot of people here tonight, right? Jongin?” the boy asked enthusiastically while wanting to take everything in, and see every little thing there was to see.

„-huh? What?” Jongin shook his head slightly as if to take his mind from whatever he was thinking. „Sorry, did you say something?” he asked while stepping a little closer to Kyungsoo.

„Yeah. Ferris wheel?” the smaller motioned towards the said ride.

The taller nodded, smiling softly again as if to tell Kyungsoo to not stare at him with that deeply concerned look on his face. „What?” he asked, raising his eyebrows. „I’m fine, stop looking.” He finished, gently punching Kyungsoo in the shoulder, a gesture the taller often did when he wanted to get rid of awkwardness or tension.

They both headed towards it, their shoulders brushing, noticing that altough it was pretty crowded already, the line moved quickly and they were soon at the top of the ferris wheel, the ride now stilling for a few seconds to give the tourists time to appreciate the view.  

And what a gorgeous view that was. Although the sea couldn’t be seen since it was dark already, the lights were all so pretty, in certain places spashing palm trees with their warm light and giving an ethereal look to the entire scene, making Kyungsoo smile unconciously, wanting to soak up the warmth and energy in the air, and never leave. He thought of Jongin to be so lucky to live here, and be able to feel and see these beautiful scenes on a daily basis. During times like this did Kyungsoo feel the same admiration and awe towards this place, undersanding Jongin’s behaviour towards his hometown, and towards nature.

The realisation that he was finally here, in Hawaii, after dreaming about it for so many years- looking at pictures and wishing to be between lush palm trees and stepping in the scorching sand, wanting to escape from Seoul’s grey streets- hit him so strogly.

It felt like magic being here, but he felt as if only looking down at the crowed, rusty looking streets  wasn’t enough anymore. It was beautiful, yes, but there was one certain person that was just as fascinating and breathtaking as the scenery in front of him.

 So he turned his eyes towards the one with whom he felt so lucky to be with tonight. Jongin.

He didn’t know if he was surprised or not when seeing that the boy was already looking at him with a certain sparkle in his eyes, but Kyungsoo decided to not be such a girl anymore and just not think of anything. So he just let himself drown in Jongin’s warm gaze, the soft smile on the boy’s lips giving Kyungsoo a warm buzz all over his skin. They were facing each other, their knees softly touching, and even though maybe both of them wanted to go closer to the other, neither made a move, and surprisingly Kyungsoo was just fine with that, because the look in Jongin’s eyes was so intense, that it already overwhelmed him.  He couldn’t put a finger on what he was feeling, because his thoughts were such a mess and everything he could think about right now was how beautiful Jongin was.

Should he think about making a move, since Jongin didn’t seem like planing to do that just yet?  Should he think about what was to come next? Maybe he should, but he didn’t want to think about it. The mere idea of having to leave this place- having to leave Jongin- in two weeks made his stomach twist uncomfortably.

They were somehow brought out of their daze when the cabin started moving again, signaling the nearing end of their ride. Jongin gave him one last dazzling smile -the motion reaching his eyes, making them crinkle at the corners, his dimples showing again- before taking his eyes away from the smaller, looking outside the window and exhaling softly.

They kept strolling around the fair, heading towards the cute lady selling cotton candy when, all of the sudden, Jongin gasped under his breath, muttering a soft „ing .” so low, Kyungsoo could have missed it if he wasn’t already hyper aware of the boy’s figure behind him.

„What happe-„he wasn’t able to finish his question and turn around to take a proper look at Jongin, because the taller had already grabbed Kyungsoo by the elbow, quickly dragging him through the mass of people around them, hurrying. After bumping into a few tourists that rudely mumbled curses under their breaths for making them drop their drinks –„Sorry.” Kyungsoo mumbled a few times since Jongin didn’t seem to be bothered-the taller  stopped abruptly for a few seconds, looking around desperately before blending through a wide group of people who looked indian, that were slowly waiting to enter what seemed like a hounted house. Kyungsoo’s eyes doubled in size, stopping in his moves.

„Go, quickly.” Jongin whispered, shoving him from behind, his hands on Kyungsoo’s lower back to keep him moving.

„What the is going on?”Kyungsoo asked desperately, turning his head to look at the taller. „Jesus, I ing hate haunted houses.” He mumbled, making small steps towards what was sure to be the end of manliness.

„I’m going to explain later, I swear, but now just please get inside. And hurry, I think she’s coming.”  Jongin whispered in his ear, and Kyungsoo’s wasn’t sure if the reason for him accepting to go was because he was a good person and wanted to help Jongin, or simply because of the boy’s warm breath hitting his neck, but he quickly followed the younger’s words, passing through the huge black door and handling some money before stepping inside along with everyone else, before hearing the two large doors close loudly, leaving them all in a pitch black tunnel.

He exhaled loudly, trying to relax and brace himself from whatever it was to come.

„Good, we’re safe now.” Jongin said in a hushed tone, his hand moving away from Kyungsoo’s lower back, to the smaller’s dismay. His warm hands were somehow comforting, helping him relax, but now he was as tense as ever.

„Safe? Are you kidding me, we’re in a ing haunted house, Jongin!” Kyungsoo whined desperately, turning around and hitting the taller in annoyance, receiving an amused giggle in return. He couldn’t see Jongin through the dark, but was only able to trace his figure. „You know you’re going to have to look for a damn good explanation for whatever happened before, so I don’t kill you, right?” he then added, sighing. All the other tourists had already walked away, probably enjoying the thrill of being in such a haunted house, a typical type of attraction often opted for since it was a good way to get extra touchy with your date, or funny for those who liked the thrill of being in the dark in unknown places.

It might have been a pretty good idea, if Kyungsoo’s wasn’t so easily scared by sudden noises or screams or if he didn’t have a phobia of spiders and-.  

„I know, and I’ll tell you everything, just-„  Jongin sighed, rubbing his temples for a few seconds before squeezing Kyungsoo’s shoulder. „I’m sorry for suddenly dragging you like that, I’ll tell you everything later, okay?”

„You should be sorry for making me step in here, not for dragging me.” The smaller mumbled under his breath.

„Oh, I’m not sorry for this, I bet it’s going to be pretty fun.” Jongin said mischeviously, moving from behind Kyungsoo and coming next to him, looking in front of them.Kyungsoo didn’t have to look at Jongin to know that the other was probably smirking at him.

 They could already hear the other tourists laughing or screaming in fright, and it made Kyungsoo shiver slightly.

„Fun?”

„Yeah, I bet you’re going to be pretty cute screaming and trembling.” He replied.

„Screw you.” Kyungsoo shot back, giving Jongin a dirty look, although he was grateful that it was dark, so that the other couldn’t see the smile that threatened to bloom on Kyungsoo’s face.

Why was he smiling? He was about to ing die of embarassment.

„Why are you being so mean? I’m the only one that you can hold you if you cry. You should be grateful you’re not alone.”  Jongin teased.  „Let’s go already.” He then added, but Kyungsoo still didn’t move. „Want  me to hold your hand?” he then whispered in Kyungsoo’s ear in a voice that sure wasn’t intended to sound seductive, but playful and teasing, although it still made the smaller shiver in delight.

„Shut up and just go.”

It turned out to be just as horrible as Kyungsoo expected in the first place. The tunnel was just so damn long and full of fake spiders or spider webs, all kinds of ghost-like figures and loud screams, not to mention all those things that touched your leg so softly when you least expected it – although Kyungsoo was sure that Jongin was the one touching his knee or shin a few times ,trying to scare him even more- and it seemed endless.

„How can you be so damn calm?” Kyungsoo whispered in Jongin’s ear, trying to regain his composure after those few spiders than fell from somewhere on the ceiling. Even though he tried to keep his cool and control his disgust and fear or spiders, he just couldn’t. He kept on walking by Jongin, but kept fidgeting and shivering in displeasure. Way to make a fool of yourself in front of your crush.

„I know this place like the back of my hand. I used to come here every year, so nothing is new to me. All these tricks are pretty lame anyway.” He replied before looking at the smaller after feeling him shiver beside him yet again. „Hey, you okay?”

„W-what? Why wouldn’t I be?” Kyungsoo tried, but already felt his cheeks warm up in embarassment. How long is this damn thing?

„You keep shivering even though everything is silent right now.”

„O-oh..um, yeah, well..” he mumbled, cursing himself in his mind for stuttering. „I kinda really hate spiders, so..”

Before he could continue, though, he felt a soft brush of skin on his wrist- a gentle caress, making a surge of warmth shoot through his arm- different from all those creepy touches from before. Before he could realise what was going on, Jongin’s hand was taking a hold of his own, their fingers interlacing gently, calming him.

„That okay?” he heard Jongin ask a tad bit lower, sounding just as confident as ever. That bastard.

„Mm.” Kyungsoo hummed, not really feeling like talking anymore. Jongin’s hand felt so nice, it made him be a tad bit camer than before.

„It’s going to end pretty soon anyway. The tunnel, I mean.”

„Finally.” Kyungsoo sighd in relief, his shoulders relaxing upon hearing that.

They kept on walking ,and although Kyungsoo flinched a couple more times because of other stupid tricks, it went smoother than before, and he was thankful for that. They soon saw the small exit that signaled the end of the tunnel, and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but let out a moan, feeling his entire body relax.

When they got out, they both had to blink a few times to adjust to the bright lights that were surrounding them again.

„I’m really sorry for dragging you in there, really. I didn’t know you had such a huge problem with spiders.” Jongin apologised, squeezing Kyungsoo’s hand one more time before slowly letting go.

„It’s okay, but I still hope you’ll tell me what happened before.” The smaller answered, trying to find something to do with his now empty hand.

Jongin looked at the ground, inhaling deeply while biting on his lower lip, deep in thought. Kyungsoo knew that, even though tonight was lovely and his whole body buzzed pleasantly  - that damn tunnel not even able to overshadow all those butterflies he felt because of Jongin’s looks and touches- something was bothering Jongin hard enough to make him run and hide like that, and if Jongin was bothered, then he was aswell. He wanted to just walk to the boy and smoothen that frown on Jongin’s forehead, but knew that he first had to listen to him.

„Look, I know it may be a bit weird, but...is it okay if we go to your hotel? I can’t really go home now, and I’m not sure if she’s still around here.  , I know you must be really confused right now.”  Jongin kept on trying to find his words, his hand awkwardly rubbing his nape. „There’s someone I’m avoiding and, , it’s complicated, can we just like...go..?” he tried, lamely droppig his hand from his nape, avoiding the smaller’s eyes.

„Sure.” Kyungsoo nodded, now more curious than ever. Was Jongin avoiding a girl? And was that girl the reason for his constanly low mood? Who was she? What if Jongin was, in fact, straight?

Kyungsoo felt a knot form in his gut. He wanted to hear everything as soon as possible, so he just nodded a few times before signaling Jongin to follow him to his hotel.

„Thank you, Kyungsoo. ” The taller breathed out.