[2.5/3]

A Study in Pink

 


 

O.W.L. (Ordinary Wizarding Level) and N.E.W.T. (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test) which felt like months away before Christmas break now started to feel just around the corner, and the fifth and seventh years were pressured to study even harder. Sleepy stare with deep eye-bags were almost prominent on the students’ faces, and Chanyeol could only grimace when he thought about his previous year or how he would look next year – his last year at Hogwarts.

 

It certainly wasn’t any different for the Gryffindor’s Seeker.

 

She seemed to laugh less now days, bringing her notes to read them while eating, sometimes even discussing her homework with her friends or her seniors before she let out her trademark high-pitched whine, this time accompanied with pulling her hair.

 

Her hair, which back to pink, but in a lighter shade.

 

It’s kind of confusing and quite annoying because her hair appeared to change color every day – sometimes it’s bright pink like it used to be, sometimes it’s a very light, washed out pink, another day it’s pale yellow, then the next day it would be a darker blonde. Chanyeol wasn’t sure which one infuriated him more. All of them, probably.

 

On good days, Bomi would bring her new bubble gun to dinner, sending bubbles to her friends, and once Chanyeol snorted to his apple pie because Taemin yelled loud enough for the whole Great Hall to hear, “STOP SENDING ME DIRTY SOCKS YOON BOMI, I’M EATING!” while Bomi just laughed hard, open-mouthed and very unlady-like.

 

But on bad days she would look like she’s able to sleep while standing, refusing to let go of her notes, and her seniors, more often than not Baekhyun, had to battle her so she would let the parchments go and eat properly. On days like that, Chanyeol’s stomach ached and he didn’t feel like eating, too – must be because he’s easily influenced, or maybe because he had a soft heart or something.

 

And yet, through the good and bad days, Chanyeol’s gift to her stayed on Bomi’s wrist, changing color every time – but Chanyeol accidently notice that usually it’s pink, or a combination of green with gold, or red with silver.

 

He couldn’t help but to think that those were Gryffindor’s and Slytherin’s colors mixed.

 

***

 

It’s not like Chanyeol had any hidden agenda at all, he just happened to had some questions about the last lecture and this time Kyungsoo didn’t have enough patience to wait until he’s finished, so after Arithmancy class, Chanyeol walked out from the room alone.

 

Professor Kwon walked ahead of him, Chanyeol bowing to the lady while he adjusted the strap of his bag on his shoulder, taking his time – definitely not on purpose, he just didn’t feel like walking together with his professor, that’s all. It’s not like he’s expecting to see a fifth year Gryffindor walking around on the corridor, not at all.

 

But Chanyeol did see her – her long, pink hair contrasted with her black robe and she’s leaning back to the stone wall behind her as if she’s waiting something. Someone.

 

Chanyeol halted his steps, grimacing a little. It’s probably a good idea to walk away right now before Bomi got aware of his presence. He took a step to the side, about to turn away – but keeping his eyes forward, just in case – when Bomi heard his loud footstep and she looked up.

 

“Captain!” Bomi smiled so wide, her cheeks should hurt from doing so.

 

Chanyeol supposed there’s no other way but to acknowledge his junior now. He exhaled, “I’m not your Captain, how many times should I tell you that?”

 

Walking closer, Bomi ignored his remark. “I waited for you last week, but I guess you already left when I arrived… The classroom’s empty.”

 

It felt like abandoning a puppy in the middle of the rain, now, with Bomi looking up to him, wide eyes and a rather sad, disappointed expression on her face, but last week Kyungsoo had dragged him away back to Slytherin’s dorm since they had homework to do.

 

Chanyeol scratched his neck, wasn’t really sure about what to say. It would be weird if he had to explain himself, considering that they were just a pair of a senior and junior who happened to exchanged Christmas gifts. “…Uh, … yeah.” He cleared his throat. “W-What is it? Do you need something?”

 

“Oh, right!” The sad expression disappeared in a mere second and Bomi bounced on her heels, the little ponytail on the top of her head bouncing along with her movement. “Can you get me to the Room of Requirements again? I really like studying there!”

 

“You can’t find it yourself? I thought you want to show it to your friends.”

 

“But it doesn’t work with me!” Bomi pouted, looking over her shoulder and glared at the place where the Room of Requirement’s entrance should be. “I don’t know what’s wrong? Maybe it’s only working if it’s you, Cap!”

 

Chanyeol snorted, secretly clenching his fists because when he saw the pink locks of Bomi’s hair, he remembered how Jongin had touched them so casually, twirling them in his finger, and Chanyeol might just had the sudden urge to do that too. “I bet it’s because you can’t focus on the thing that you want.”

 

“Is that so?” Bomi tilted her head. Her eyes met Chanyeol’s and suddenly she bit her lips, holding back a smile. “I can focus on the thing that I really, really want, though…”

 

“What, food?”

 

She’s pouting again and Chanyeol was so sick looking at the offensive lips that he decided to just go along with whatever she wanted and started to walk back and forth on the corridor, thinking about the previous studying room – where they could be alone, and maybe…

 

(Maybe he wondered about how it felt to touch her hair, maybe he’s curious whether she would fit perfectly on his embrace or not, maybe he had thought about ways to silent that small lips…)

 

Let’s erase everyone one by one except us

Paused as if only you and I exist here

 

Chanyeol frozen, shutting his eyes tight and almost cursing himself inside for thinking about that god-damn song yet again, but Bomi already cheered, “Cap, it’s here!” and dragged him inside the Room of Requirements.

 

It appeared to be the same room like the last time, and Chanyeol was secretly thankful that whatever certain images that flashed his mind before didn’t make any change in the room. Pillows and blankets were suspicious enough in a study room.

 

While Bomi stormed in into the room like it’s her own, Chanyeol lingered awkwardly near the entrance. Before, he was sleepy, so he could passthe time with sleeping, but now he’s wide awake and he’s not even sure if Bomi wanted him there.

 

His question was answered when Bomi turned her head, “What are you doing there, Cap, aren’t you coming in?”

 

Chanyeol scowled for being called ‘Cap’ yet again, but he did step inside, looking around because he didn’t do so the last time he’s there. Bomi approached the scented candles and lit up Summer Linen without asking and Chanyeol inhaled deeply for the fresh scent. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to smell clean laundry without thinking about Bomi anymore, and it should be infuriating, but strangely – or not – he didn’t mind.

 

While Bomi plopped down on the couch and took out her books and parchments, Chanyeol inspected the bookshelves, looking for something to help him working on his homework. He sat on the opposite end of the couch, leaving quite a distance between him and the Gryffindor girl who smiled as soon as their eyes met.

 

Right before Chanyeol looked away, his eyes landed on Bomi’s wrist, where her bracelet’s now red and silver.

 

He opened his book and tried to read, but the letters were jumbling in his mind he couldn’t make them into words.

 

Clearing his throat to appear as nonchalant as he could, Chanyeol said, “Do you, uh, like it?”

 

“Huh? Like…? … Ah, you mean this!” Bomi touched her bracelet, grinning. “I don’t like it, I really, really love it! Eunji said it’s a trend now in Beijing and Tokyo? It must be expensive. Thank you so much, Cap!”

 

Chanyeol grumbled under his breath as the response. At least his empty wallet worth something.

 

They fell into a silence, Bomi returned to her studying, frowning and crossing out her answer, but Chanyeol, although finally able to read the words in his book, couldn’t apprehend the full sentence.

 

He glanced to the side. “… You.” Bomi blinked before she glanced back at him, acknowledging the call. “… Why do you call me Cap? Do you…,” Chanyeol averted his gaze, “…call Byun like that too?”

 

“Hm, Baek?”

 

‘Baek.’

 

“No, I call him Baek, Baekkie, or sometimes Byun Baek, like the others.”

 

All of the sudden Chanyeol felt a little bit pissed – he assumed it’s just because of Bomi in general, as usual. “Then, why do you call me Cap? Isn’t Byun your captain? He’s the one you should call Cap.”

 

Bomi scrunched up her nose as if the idea was unappealing. She thought about it some more before shaking her head. “Baek? Cap? No, don’t think so.” She shook her head harder to emphasize that the idea of calling Baekhyun ‘Cap’ was ridiculous. “… He’s not like you, Cap. He’s not tall, he’s not handsome, and he’s definitely not cool.”

 

She sneaked a peek at Chanyeol and suddenly she blushed, hiding her face behind her book.

 

Her bracelet changed color to pink and Chanyeol must had a fever because his face was burning.

 

***

 

Quidditch match resumed at the end of February with Slytherin against Ravenclaw, and although they finally changed their Seeker, they still lost to Ravenclaw and their good teamwork.

 

Two weeks after was Gryffindor’s and Hufflepuff’s match, and during breakfast, with a poker face Kyungsoo offered Chanyeol a Gryffindor’s cheering badge – the shape was a familiar figure with pink hair on a broomstick with QUEEN BOMI under it, and someone had put magic on it that the badge could make tiny sparks every minutes or so. He slapped Kyungsoo’s hand away with a scowl. Kyungsoo, unaffected, shrugged and put the badge on his robe instead.

 

All Gryffindor wore the badge, even some Ravenclaw wore it too, and it’s kind of sickening for Chanyeol since he got to see pink everywhere.

 

Meanwhile, on the Gryffindor’s table, Baekhyun was seen busy coaxing Taemin to eat something. Taemin was Gryffindor’s new Keeper, and the boy’s face was as pale as a white sheet. Jongin was by his side, slinging an arm and presumably giving him pep talk for Taemin’s first match.

 

Even though it’s her second match, Bomi was in a no better condition, the dark circles under her eyes were so apparent and her hair didn’t glow like usual. She smiled when Eunji turned to her but she almost didn’t touch her food. 

 

Chanyeol knew she’s feeling pressured. Her brilliant – more like haphazard, Chanyeol’d argue – performance on the last match made people had high hopes on her, and she wanted desperately to meet those expectations. Baekhyun was tolerant enough with the fifth years with their practices but Bomi secretly practiced by herself outside the team’s scheduled training, not to mention all the subjects she had to study for the O.W.L; she’s basically pushing herself over her limit. She’s tired and stressed out.

 

He knew all of this because during their accidental study sessions together at the Room of Requirements, Bomi told him. She always had something to tell him when they’re together, but there were times when she looked like staying awake was a struggle itself and she’s on the verge of crying.

 

Chanyeol had asked her – in passing by, of course, not that he cared about her or anything – and she told him about her worries. As the Captain of his house’s Quidditch team, Chanyeol somewhat could relate about the pressure from people’s expectations and he’s pissed off at Byun Baekhyun for not taking care of junior and team members. It’s definitely just his conscience as a senior and a captain that made him helped Bomi.

 

Sometimes he helped with her homework, the other times with her study, giving her tips what to learn and how to learn, fixing her posture when she held her wand and her pronunciation with spells. Sometimes he just listened to her rambling about her day, her friends, the professors, her family – she’s a family of five and she’s the only wizard, her owl Quick, anything. Sometimes she asked about him. Sometimes he answered. Reluctantly. Cause he’s not very good with words and he’s not interesting and who’s this kid asking things about me, he always thought while he kept on telling Bomi what she wanted to know.

 

And sometimes…

 

Sometimes Bomi would nod off in the middle of her reading, falling to Chanyeol’s side, and because of… reasons, he would let her be. He would stayed as still as possible, inhaling Summer Linen mixed with Bomi’s shampoo because her head right on his shoulder under his nose, and he would just read quietly until she woke up.  

 

*

 

After his first saving - and a lot of cheers from Gryffindor’s supporters – Taemin gained confidence and improved in performance, locking his eyes on the Quaffle being thrown around the field by the Chasers, getting more cheers after every saving.

 

The flying sparks from Kyungsoo’s badge where he sat beside Chanyeol was quite distracting but he didn’t have the time to care about that since he was concerned about Bomi’s state. The Gryffindor’s Seeker was flying above all the players, eyes searching for Snitch and that was normal, but she didn’t have a grin plastered on her face – and that, that wasn’t normal.

 

She’s also blinking a lot like she’s not entirely awake, but her eyes were alert so it’s probably not sleepiness that caught her off.

 

“QUAFFLE ON BYUN BAEKHYUN—HE THROWS IT TO SON SEUNGHWAN—HUFFLEPUFF’S CAPTAIN KIM SEOKJIN INTERCEPTS AND NOW THE QUAFFLE IS IN HUFFLEPUFF’S POSSESSION—” Eunji kept on reporting the game with an amazing tongue ability, able to spew out words in high speed. “HUFFLEPUFF THROWS THE BALL—! BUT LEE TAEMIN KICKS IT AWAY, WHAT A NICE SAVE YOU DID THERE LEE TAEMIN! I KNOW YOU ALWAYS HAD IT IN YOU, MAN. Um, anyway, YOON BOMI AND MIN YOONGI STILL LOOKING FOR—WAIT, MIN YOONGI SUDDENLY SPEEDS UP, DOES SNITCH FINALLY SPOTTED?!”

 

Following Eunji’s comment the spectators cheered; Hufflepuff’s Seeker Min Yoongi’s leaning forward to make his broom flew faster, his cape fluttering behind him. Chanyeol looked up to Bomi – upon seeing her rival’s act, she quickly flew down, almost vertically, and Chanyeol unconsciously held his breath.

 

Yoongi came from the side and he barely avoided running into Bomi when the girl intercepted his way, but now they’re side by side in pursuing Snitch. The whole stadium was loud in anticipation over who would get the Snitch first, and among the excitement, no one really paid attention when Hufflepuff scored.

 

Chanyeol squinted his eyes, trying not to lose focus on Bomi — and then he saw it, how Bomi’s body leaned forward, swaying. Some students cheered, thinking that Bomi would jump again, but Chanyeol’s gut told him that this was different.

 

He tried to calm his heartbeat, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants, his right foot’s jiggling.

 

Yoongi probably thought the same as the crowd cause he desperately tried to fly faster than Bomi, and he’s succeed, taking the lead.

 

She leaned forward even more, her hands already letting the broomstick go. But then, like a rag doll, her body fell to the side – she’s falling from her broom.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and he stood up, his stomach’s sinking in dread – all around him people screamed, Eunji probably the loudest, but at the same time he couldn’t seem to hear them, his heart’s pounding too loud.

 

One of the professors must had cast a spell cause Bomi’s slowing down, and when she reached the ground Madam Hooch were already there to catch her. She blew the whistle, either to pause the game, or to signal that the game was ended, since Yoongi already caught the Snitch among the commotion.

 

The Seeker was holding the Snitch, confused as to what happened, but then his eyes landed on Bomi on the ground and he joined the Gryffindor’s players that already landed around Bomi.

 

Chanyeol balled his fists, he couldn’t see what happened since the players were surrounding Bomi – Jongin and Taemin were crouching next to her with Baekhyun behind them.

 

Finally Baekhyun raised his thumb to the direction of Gryffindor’s supporters, “Bomi’s alright!” He smiled and waved before he shook Seokjin’s hand to congratulate him.

 

Bomi’s body flew, carried by a spell by Madam Hooch back to the castle, with Jongin and Taemin following behind. Baekhyun and the other players lingered just to congratulate Hufflepuff’s team, but then all of them also rushed out of the field.

 

Eunji already abandoned her post, leaving someone else to announce the score of the game with Hufflepuff’s winning, and reporting that Gryffindor’s Seeker Yoon Bomi was passed out in the last moment and they wished her speedy recovery.

 

The crowd began to leave, murmurs and buzz about the game, some fifth years who were friends with Bomi left earlier.

 

Kyungsoo stood up and squeezed Chanyeol’s shoulder. “I’m sure she’s fine.”

 

He didn’t feel like talking back this time, so Chanyeol just nodded, following the rest of the students who’s leaving the field.

 


 

 

 

 

accidentally forget that I have this fic. 7 months wow ahahahah sorry. um the last part is already 6k and it's not ended yet so I decided to just cut it. is there anyone who still remembers this story...