Chapter 3

Ironic Fate

"Even the nicest people have their limits" - Annonymous 

The feeling I got at the bottom of my stomach when I tripped in the middle of the hallway or the time when I answered “orange” when someone asked me ‘what’s an object that’s “red”’ or the time where I ordered ice cream whilst the menu stated, they were out of stock…damn I held up the whole line… was nothing compared to the amount of mortification I am experiencing right now in front of the person who I couldn’t bare to stand.

 “Shouldn’t I be asking you that, Ji-ah?” Taehyung said glaring at me like I just committed a murder

“Uhm…uh.”

“At a loss of words I see. I have that effect on people, especially girls” He responded with full ego, rolling his eyes and sneering at me.

Wait. What? Who does this human think he is?

“Can’t you talk?” He paused. “Or are you speechless because you saw my face?...You girls are all the same. Pathetic really.”

Egoistic jerk.

“You know Ji-ah, in our society eavesdropping is a horrible hobby one can possibly possess.” His face was unreadable, hard to decipher. He was calm and relaxed yet there is a burning fire behind his milk chocolate eyes. As if noticing I was analysing his face, he walks closer to me and I step back until my back is aligned with the cold brick wall.

In the past, I never really complained being short. I am fond of my size and I am proud, as my 13 year old self always said ‘I’m not short, I’m fun size!”. But today, this horrendous day, this embarrassing day, I thought otherwise. Damn! Why do I have to be so short?. Taehyung being 178cm abuses his power of being taller than me and leans over so that  my eye level was adjacent to his collarbones. But I do have to admit, he smells good. I look up from my position and I catch him looking down on me.

 “I … don’t like people who eavesdrop on my conversations” He whispers, his hot breath fogging up my glasses. Although I couldn’t see his face properly, his goofy smile was clear despite the blurriness of his face features. Unexpectedly, he brings his blazer sleeve to my glasses to clean it, wiping clean the mist/fog.

“y-you didn’t have to do t-that” Pulling out the cloth I use to clean my glasses I spoke, “s-see I have m-my own”.  I mentally cursed. Ji-ah…why.

He chuckled, “So this person does know how to speak!” He states with full sarcasm “C’mon 4eyes, tell me what are you doing here?” 4 eyes. I hated that name. With a passion. My expression turned sour and as if my confidence appeared out of nowhere... I shoved him. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but I don’t like people invading my personal space and calling me names” I lied. 'Don’t like' is an understatement. I simply...loathed it.  

“Oh 4EYES, I hate to break it to you but you were rude first. Listening to my previous conversation and all…” He flicked his head sideways, a familiar hobby with those who have front fringes. 4eyes. If only he knew that he’s pouring gasoline on the already scorching flame…

“Excuuuuse me but last time I checked you don’t own the school” I tapped his chest with my index finger "Last time I checked you aren't council president!! Last time I checked I applied to be in this school!! Last time I checked I pay every year to be at this goddamn school!! So Mr. Taehyung, Last time I checked I can be here whenever I want! Without a reason!” I shouted, invisible steam escaping my nose. I was angry and I didn't know why. Well, I knew but I've never been this angry before... What's happening to me?

“Someone’s a little feisty.” He teased. With all the anger building inside of me, my body released my frustrations through an unexpected sneeze. *achoo!*

“How cute. I knew you couldn’t handle me. Even your body says you can’t handle me.” He shoved his hands in his front pant pockets.

“No, its just that I’m allergic to idiots like you” I replied.

Before he could respond a sudden audible buzzing made its way to our ears. I checked my phone to check if it was mine but it wasn't. It was his.

He grabbed out his phone and checked what I presumed to be a text message. The mischievous grin that he had throughout our conversation faded to one that had was emotionless and almost lonely…

He breaks the silence by saying he needs to go and that he is needed elsewhere. He took one last gaze at me before walking the opposite direction, leaving me alone with the growing quietness that I feared so much. The silence made me think. The silence gave me the time to argue with my inner self.

It’s been a hobby of mine since 1st grade to talk to myself. I don’t consider it weird nor do I consider it normal, just something in between I suppose.

(Inner Thoughts)

Voice 1: Jerk. He didn’t even say goodbye.

Voice 2: Why did he have to? Ji-ah, you’re not friends with him…right?

Voice 1: But I got to ventaliate my stress and anger through him.

Voice 2: He’s probably gonna think you have anger issues.

Voice 1: Who cares? I haven’t yelled like that in ageeesss.

Voice 2: He probably hates you

Voice 1: That! We can agree on

I stand there for about 5 minutes before realising that it is almost 6pm and that my mum is probably no longer picking me up. I make my way outside of school to catch the bus. Once the bus arrived, I sit in my usual position (whenever I take the bus), that is 3 rows from the back beside the window and listened to the music the ride home...  

10 Years Ago.

+FLASHBACK+

“Ji-ah! YOU MONSTER” the girl couldn’t stand up, she looked at me with a glare, a glare that woke up me up from the emotions that took over me. She looked away from me, but I could still hear her tears echo inside my mind. I tried reaching out to her, to at least apologise for my horrendous behaviour but when my hand got closer to her shoulder she moved away, “I don’t need your pity. How will you cope with this in 2 years, 5 years or even 20 years from now? Have fun with the guilt. You deserve every bit of pain that’s coming your way.”

+END OF FLASHBACK+