Chapter 1

Ironic Fate

"Neither irony or sarcasm is arguement" -Samuel Butler

It was a fairly quiet and peaceful lunchtime at Kirin High School, the breeze was calm and the sun smiled down on the bystanders. The second period has   just finished and the sound of ringing made its way through the hallway, breaking the once silence environment. Chaos and loud chatter now occupied the hallways as the students made their way to the cafeteria.

 "WATCH OUT!”  a voice yelled among the sea of individuals. A soccer ball speedily flies across the hallway, making its way near one of the classroom    doors. “DUCK!” the voice continued. A girl with mahogany brown hair exits the fated classroom and bobs her head down just in time as the ball moves past above her head not harming a strand of hair in the process. The black and white ball bounces off the door and lands close to the girl who thought   just survived her death. She stops in her tracks and picks up the death machine – aka the ball – and waits for the owner to retrieve the object. She does a full 360 spin until she sees a boy wearing a hoodie and khaki pants running in her direction.

“Finally…” He said barely audible. He places his hands on his knees as he tries to catch his breath. “Give me a minute.”

As the girl hears his request she couldn’t help but stare at this weird creature in front of her. Where have I seen him before? Is he a part of the soccer team? Is he part of the ‘popular’ group? If he is, why is he playing soccer now? What if it’s a hobby of his? But who the hell plays soccer in a hallway? Isn't there a rule for this? I'm pretty sure there’s a rule for this … What if there is and he just got away with it? Where’s the –

“—hello? Um excuse me?” A voice interfering her inner thoughts. The girl shakes her head and looks at the boy who seemed to be waving his hand in front of her face. She focuses on the conversation she was about to have.

“Yes?” she answered.

“You have my soccer ball” He said as he pointed to the ball in my hands.

“Oh…yeah here” she hands him the deadly ball and asks “Are you even allowed to play that inside the school building?”

“Uhm…” he scans the room for teachers and potential interruptions, “yeah” he finishes. But then he did something out of the ordinary – for the girl that is – the boy moves his head closer to her face. Inch by Inch the gap between them disappears until he stops just 5cm away from her face.

Now, from an outsider’s point of view, this could cause a scandal. How may you ask? Well, their faces were merely inches apart. He is crouched down to her eye level and her glasses looks like it might fog up with all the heat that is sparking from this moment.

He moves towards her ears and he seductively whispers “As long as you don’t get caught”.

The girl is flabbergasted. Her cheeks turn a light shade of red and looks like she might run away at any moment. The boy notices this and he smirks as he continues to stare into her eyes.  Pfft. I’ve seen her kind. Nice to play around with. Easy to break. She may be cute. But she’s not worth it.  The innocent, confused look in the girls’ eyes quickly turns into a 'what-the-hell' confused kind of look. As if she read his mind. Her hands which were previously beside her is now grabbing the top of the boy’s ear.  She then walks.

“OUCH!” The boy cried. She is continuously dragging him to some place outside the building as the boy continues to whine and scream. The girl didn’t even bother to look back but all she did was smirk. Was this dude a girl in his past life? He could play the girl that dies first in horror films. She says to herself half smiling.

YAH YAH…WHO DO YOU THINK YOU AR—“An imaginary light was cast upon the boy… wait a minute…I’m a guy. I pretty sure I’m stronger than this lunatic… He stops in his tracks and the girl loses her grip on the boy’s ear. She stops in front of him and she turns back.  She moves closer, but not too close just like before.

“WHO DO YOU...” He clears his throat. “…who do you think you are?” 

“Last time I recall, I was a student at this high school.” She said adjusting her glasses.

“No …what I meant was, what your name is?”

Why does this dude want my name? I don’t have time for this. I feel like I have better things to do. She was about to turn around and leave but a hand grasped her wrist.

“I said….what’s your name?” he said sternly.

“Why? I see no possible benefits that you and I will gain if I tell you my name.”  She replied back in a monotone voice.

“Dude….you just dragged me outside the building…I think I deserve to know your name.” the boy said making hand gestures.

“I didn’t have to drag you outside…but you were playing inside the hallway. You endangered not only the safety of the students inside the hallway but also the school property, for example, the windows and the lights.” She answered loudly – but not too loud – she was trying to be calm. Keyword here is trying.

“WTF. LIGHTS?! WINDOWS?! STUDENTS!?!?....ALL I DID WAS A KICK A BALL GEEZ.”

“So you admit you kicked the ball?”

“YES BUT”

 “Exactly. That’s reason why I dragged you out here.”

“As a part of the soccer team. Am I not allowed to play inside the building?” Her eyes turn wide in disgust. “Didn’t I just tell you what harms you might’ve caused in that hallway and just because you’re part of the -----“

From then on the boy stopped listening as what she was saying was just coming out of the other ear. Not processing a single word the girl is saying. Why does this girl talk so much?

“ – and do you know how much it costs to replace the lights? It cost…” She slowly stopped talking as she noticed that she has lost the attention of the boy.  Not listening aye. How rude. What if I…

“….Ji-Ji-ah ...That’s my

na

-name.” she hesitated. Was that too loud? I didn’t want him to hear it...I just wanted his attention. We have some issues to go over.

At the word ‘name’, the boy quickly focuses back to the one-sided conversation hoping his brain registered that piece of information.

“Pardon?”

“I apologise. But I don’t like repeating myself.”

The girl sent him a grin and started walking back to the building. She needed to get to class. It was only 2nd period. She was walking away, feeling victorious. The feeling people get when they walk away from a strike when playing bowling…it was pretty much like this moment for her, but better. Serves you right. She mentlly gives herself a high five. 

As the boy watches the retrieving figure, the boy thought hard. what it…it started with an Ji …I’m sure of that….Jimin?...Jirae?...Jisoo?...Jian?...Ji ah..

“JI AH!” the boy shouted.

Her body froze. As if time just stopped. Right then and there. The boy runs up to where she is. “It’s Ji-ah isn't it?” He says flashing his million-dollar goofy smile. He places both his hands on her shoulders to prevent her from escaping.

The girl was speechless. Eyes wide opened and astounded by the confidence and aggressiveness the person who is standing in front of her possess.

“So it is Ji-ah. I see. Well, my name is Taehyung, also known as V on the soccer field. Nice to meet you Ji-ah. See you around”  and with that the boy they call Taehyung walked away, leaving the girl named Ji-ah standing outside as 3rd period started.

A page turned for Ji-ah that day.

A book that noone

dared to read.