is just to love and be loved in return

and you, my love, are gone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They've spent almost every day together after the unfortunate accident of Minho spilling his chocolate milk on Kibum's dazzingly white button down, earning him an earful from the boy as they tried to get the stain off in the bathroom. They were 14 then, and it's been three years since, turning four. They're graduating soon and they didn't have enough time to lament on spilled milk anymore. High school was all about experimenting, finding yourself and making friends, and that's just what Kibum did.

He fell in love left and right, but despite all this, he couldn't find that one person who can make his heart skip a beat and take his breath away. That was, until he met Kim Jonghyun his sophomore year. He fell so head over heels the two years they were together the only thing he could utter was his name and their days spent together. Of course, this meant Minho had to watch his best friend get taken away, just when he was realising that maybe he wanted to be more. That's when he realised that they couldn't be anything, really, since they were nothing to begin with.

He had thrown Minho away in a heartbeat, not even sparing him a glance when he said hi in the hallways. Eventually, the greetings stopped and Minho inclined himself to the fact that two years wasn't anything, their days meant nothing, and he was already thrown away. That was, until he found a note on his locker. 'I miss you', it read, in Kibum's unnaturally neat handwriting. He'd never mistake it for anyone else's, the frequent note passing they do during class made sure of it. His heart had once again found itself beating, but he quickly shut that down because a simple sticky note on his locker didn't mean anything. The notes became more frequent and contained longer messages, stemming from 'I miss you's to 'Let's hang out' and 'Notice me's. He couldn't help but scoff. If anyone was to say 'notice me', it'd definitely be him.

Kibum had enough of being set aside by his supposed best friend, so he opted to take matters into his own hands and ditch the sticky note route, going straight to the source of all his irritation and laying down on his bed, waiting for his walking pet peeve to come home.

The door creaked open and he immediately sat up, eyebrows raised. "You're late."

"You're in my room." Minho sighed, his mother notifying him of Kibum's surprise visit.

"You've been ignoring me. Stop it."

Of all the things, Minho thought, groaning as he willed himself not to lash out and hit him, opting to massage his temples right after he flung his bag to the corner of the room. "I'm ignoring you?" He scoffed, brows furrowed as he leaned by his door frame, closing it with a sigh attempting to escape his lips. Every time you sigh, you let your happiness escape.

"You are. You need to stop." Kibum huffed, defiant as he crossed his arms over his chest, the boring sports magazine thrown aside (honestly, why did he have to be best friends with a sports buff?).

"Kibum." He replied, tone low as he gritted his teeth, trying to smile and keep himself intact and will himself to stay clear of mind--to act rationally. "You haven't spoken to me in months. Actually, no, make that a year. Ever since you've hooked up with that guy, you've stopped talking to me. And now, here you are, having the audacity to tell stop ignoring you?"

He couldn't believe it--it couldn't have been that long since they last spoke, has it? Yes, he's happy with Jonghyun, but it couldn't have been that long? "Don't call him that guy." Was the first thing he said, the statement escaping his lips before he had properly had the chance to reform and rearrange his thoughts.

"See. Even now you're still thinking about him. Why're you here, anyway? What's up with the notes? Rough patch?" He huffed, ignoring how his heart clenched when Kibum had defended his boyfriend before he even bothered to defend himself.

"I missed you. I thought I made that clear." He didn't know what was happening--was this how it felt like to be on a losing side of an argument? With Minho, everything was easy, everything came just as natural as though they had breathed the same breath. Their entire relationship was built on how natural everything had started, on how natural they had seemed to click. They filled in what the other had lacked, their dynamic allowing them to build each other up and better each other. Now, everything was far too complicated, and Kibum had no idea what was happening.

"Okay. I miss you too. Are we done here?" Whatever hope that was blossoming in Minho's chest needed to be crushed immediately, not wanting to subject himself to any more pain as he watched the person who was probably going to be his first and last love be happy with someone else.

"Is that it? That's all you have to say to your best friend?"

"Kibum, if we were really best friends, I don't think you'd just throw me away just because you're in a relationship. Or at least, I wouldn't."

"I didn't throw you away!"

"Then what do you call not talking to your best friend for a year, giving him the cold shoulder and not even sparing him a glance in the hallways?"

He was speechless now, not knowing what else to say. It was true, he was a terrible best friend, and now he didn't know what to do to change their relationship. The damage has been done and whatever it was that'd mend this was eluding him, gaping as he looked at Minho, whose brows were still furrowed, looking like he was about to explode. For once, he lost an argument with him. For once, he was in the wrong. For once, he couldn't find the right words.

"I'm sorry," he said, voice so soft it was barely audible.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter