Unexpected

OFFICE LOVER

 

“Everyone, let’s cheers for Im Yoona!”

All the people in this small room raise their wine glasses. I feel honored by it. I raise my glass as well and can't help but smile so wide.

“Cheers!”

We bump our glass each other gently. Then we sip our red wine. Some employees decided to make a small party in a bar near GE Gangnam to welcome me. They even rent a room. They are so warm toward me.

“I wish we can blend well, Yoona-ssi!”

Kim Yongju, one of song composers in my new office, smiles to me. She is so kind, reminds me of Yoon sunbaenim. Maybe they are in same age, around 30 years old. She looks gorgeous. Type of woman that any men want to fall for. Does she have a husband already?

“Me too…..uhm…”

“Just call me unnie. Arasseo?”

“Un….. nie?”

“Sounds nice!”

All people here start sharing everything about what’s going on lately on the office. We laughs together as one of the employees joke around. Never in my thought before I could blend with them so this fast. I can make sure I will be fine working in GE Gangnam.

Well, back to this morning. Even till this time, I am still in awe. I am being Lee Jonghyun’s secretary. How come? A song composer turns to be a head director. It sounds impossible yet incredible. Seohyun told me that after he got the awards, he got promoted to be one of the senior managers. But last week, when the meeting was held to talk about the next head director, Mr. Han promoted him to be the head. I believe most of people disagreed with it. They doubt him.

But I think he deserves that spot. I just worked for him for around 9 hours, but he made me amazed. How he lead the meeting, how he explained something to the commissaries, how he blended to the employees. He has it.

“I am sorry, I am late!”

Everyone remind a silence knowing who is just coming. Someone whom I just thought of. As everyone stand up to welcome him, I stand up as well.

“Ah, Mr. Lee! You come! Out of my expectation. Please sit here.”

I see him staring at me. Instead of sitting to the place that Yongju sunbaenim have served for him, he moves his feet straightly to me. His face, that pale face, comes closer to my face. He bends his head to make it closer. No! What is he going to do? Kissing me in front of these people? Are you insane, Lee Jonghyun?

I close my eyes tight because I don’t know what I should do. It’s not like I am anticipating a kiss from him. But trust me, I can’t move or else. I can feel all the pair of eyes staring at me and Jonghyun.

“Too much make up on your face.”

I open my eyes immediately when his palm rubs my cheek so gently. I think my face is as red as a tomato now. A handsome face in front of mine. I can even see how gorgeous his dark brown eyes. His skin is pale like a statue. But it doesn’t lessen his handsomeness.

He steps backwards. He offers his hand toward me.

“I didn’t have a chance to introduce myself to you before –even though I actually know you before as president’s secretary. I am Lee Jonghyun, your new boss. Don’t give me any trouble, alright?”

Give him any trouble he said? I have worked for a big person before, hello? His last words somehow drive me mad. But I need to control myself. Calm down, Yoona! Calm down!

I offer my hand to him and shake his hand firmly. “My name is Im Yoona and I hope I won’t give you any trouble.”

“Good!”

His phone is suddenly ringing. He gives a signal to everyone to sit back with his hand, then he leaves the room to receive the call. Everyone is sitting as he commanded.

“He usually rejected it if staff asked him to join the party like this. What has gotten into him?” Seohyun said to the people here.

“It’s what surprising me,” one of male employee, Choi Minsik, in. “But what is more surprising me is something I just saw. Heol! So, is the rumor true? Is he a womanizer? We know right he got a girlfriend already. She is even an Ailee.”

Yongju unnie suddenly slaps his arm, “Watch your mouth!” He just giggles as he gets her deadly stare. I chuckle watching them. Someone said that they two are known as GE’s tom and jerry.

“But Yoona,” Minsik speaks up again, “Do you have a boyfriend?”

I shake my head.

“She doesn’t have boyfriend since her last date when we were in high school,” Seohyun explained.

“What a waste. Don’t you realize that you are pretty and cute? I can be your boyfriend if you want.”

Instead of getting mad, I laugh. My laughter becomes louder because Minsik got punched by Yongju unnie and Seohyun since they know he has a girlfriend already. I know he is not serious. What a funny guy.

As Jonghyun is coming in, everyone is silent. He sits himself on the chair beside Youngju sunbaenim. "Why suddenly stop talking? Just relax, guys! We are not in the office now. Throw your problems away and let's have fun!" he said, then he giggles. He raises his glass to the air. "Cheers!"

Everyone is following him. "Cheers!"

Jonghyun is not as cold as i thought. He is humble and talkative. I thought he is a wordless person. He can heat the situation by creating some interesting topics.

"How do you think about your new boss, Unnie?" Seohyun said with low voice when Minsik is singing now. Frankly speaking, his voice is bad, but the situation is heater because he does it in funny way.

"Well, he is actually great. Not to mention about his good looking. Cool guy."

"Yeah, he is handsome. Love affair between boss and secretary would be interesting."

"YA!" I slap her arm as i yell to her. How could she have a thought like that? Aigoo. Where is my innocent Seohyun?

"I was just kidding, Unnieyaaaang!" she clings on my arm. "But don't you like him?"

"What about you?"

"He is not my type. I prefer a warm man."

I move my face closer to her and look at her in suspicious, "Who is that lucky guy?"

"I haven't found anyone. Unnie, you didn't answer me!" her chubby cheeks look bigger because she pouts. "Do you like him?"

"Just "like". Nothing else."

Yeah, just like. Most of girls would like a handsome man with cool charm, right? So it's normal for me to like a person like Lee Jonghyun.

"He has never joined every party that held by company. Last month we held a party for him because he got 2 awards, and he didn't come. So, maybe he is here now because of you."

Because of me? As that question flies in my mind, i steal a look at Jonghyun. Surprisingly he is staring at me now.

No way! It must be a coincidence.

 

*****

 

#KRING#

The phone on my desk is ringing.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Miss Im! Mr. Collin from Loutude Corp. wants to speak to Mr. Lee." It's from one of GE's admin operators.

"Please hold on."

I press the hold button and call to Jonghyun's line. But i don't get the response in 15 seconds. Seems he hasn't come back yet after lunch.

I press the hold button again to talk to the operator back. "Mr. Lee is not in his room. He hasn't come back yet."

"Alright, Miss! Thank you!"

The line is cut. Where is he anyway? Does he go to somewhere? But he didn't tell anything.

#KRING#

"Hello?"

"Hello, Miss Im. I just want you to know that Mr. Collin from Loutude Corp. leaves a message. He asked Mr. Lee to call him as soon as possible to 137****. It's urgent he said."

As he said about leaving the message, i quickly grab the pen and write the number and also the name.

"Alright, i will tell him."

"Thank you!"

I get up. My hand bring the note that i just used to write on. I need to find him. He must be in the office still. Everytime Mr. Han wanted to go somewhere with or without me, he would tell me. It's a must. I hope Jonghyun knowing that. He is a head director now.

After i searched him for almost five minutes, someone told me that he is in studio right now. What is he doing there?

As i arrive at studio, my eyes catch his back. There are lot of people here, but i don't know why his back is recognize-able. He is speaking with someone right now. I look around as i wait for him. Everybody is busy for the filming. The schedule today is filming a new mv for debuting a new boy group and taking some photos. The sets are so artsy. I like it. So colourful.

"Yoona?"

Jonghyun is in front of me already. I forget about him for a while because of the pretty sets.

"Mr. Lee, Mr. Collin from Loutude Corp. wants you to call him soon. He said it's urgent."

I hand him the note. He takes it. He then chuckles, "He is my friend. I will call him later after this. It's actually not an important thing. Just let him wait."

"Okay, I am going back then, Sir."

I bow my head to him and about to leave the studio.

"Wait!" he said as he grabbed my arm. "Where do you think you are going? Just stay."

"B-but i have something to do."

"You have to know what your new boss doing is." He looks at me with firm stare. Instead of getting afraid, i have a thought he looks cool.

"A-alright, Sir!"

He grabs my shoulders gently from behind and pushes me forward to a chair in the corner. While i sit on it, i watch him talking to a director and someone (i don't know who he is) holding a pro camera. His body language just told me that he suits the head director position. How his eyes staring respectfully at the people he talks to, how his hands move, and how he smiles. I do feel enjoy just watching him.

Gosh! I look away when his stare moves to me. Did he know that i looked at him?

"Yoona!" he called my name. I look back to him and walks fast to him.

"Can i help you, Sir?"

"Everyone, meet my secretary Im Yoona. And Yoona, this is director Mr. Shin Donghyub and the photographer Mr. Kang Jongmin." They bow to me.

I bow my head to them. "Good afternoon! I am Im Yoona, Mr. Lee's secretary. Nice to see you, Mr. Shin and Mr. Kang!" I hand them my cards. Glad that i always bring it wherever i go. It's useful in this situation.

"Alright! Mr. Kang, you can go back to your work. Mr. Shin, i need to talk to you and the group to discuss about the concept. And you, wait in here, okay? It doesn't take long time. We go back together." He pats my head as if he asked a five years old kid to wait him. I am stunned for a while because of his act.

They leave me. Actually they leave me with Mr. Kang. Even though i don't look at the photographer, i know his eyes stare at me. Somehow it makes me uncomfortable.

"So, Yoona, do you have any interest to be a model?"

My head turns to him. "Excuse me?"

His eyes now straightly stare at my chest, slowly moves to my feet. You know, his kind of stare is like a ert ahjussi. "You have nice body."

W-what?

"Don't reject my offering. We can discuss this. The number on your card is yours, isn't it? How about tonight? Having a dinner together and.....," his eyes move to my chest again, "taking a trial after that?"

GROSS! What should i do? I want to slap his face so ing bad but he is one of our partners. I don't want to ruin everything.

Someone suddenly pulls my arms. Not dragging me to somewhere, but putting me behind..... Jonghyun?

"Should i call the cancellation or you go back to work now? I heard this is your biggest project so far, you don't want to waste it, right? If I were you, i chose to go back to work. She is not a show!" His voice is so slow, maybe Jonghyun doesn't want to embarrass Mr. Kang. But so sharp, as sharp as a razor. I feel save now.

Mr. Kang moves away without saying anything. It means he doesn't want to lose this project. By his move, i know he is upset. But he can't do anything. Jonghyun is number one person in this building.

Jonghyun turns around. "Let's go back to work," he said with his cold expression.

We walk out together. He leads me. He doesn't say anything until we arrive in the corridor. He is about to smoke, get his cigarette from his pocket, but the he realizes he is in the building still. He puts in back.

"You should have punched his stomach, Yoona." He stares at me coldly. Is he mad at me? I just had a thought he is a warm person, but now he turns to an ice. I don't respond him to let him finish his words. "In entertainment industry, you have to beware. You will find somebody like him again next time, believe me. You need to have a strength to reject it.”

“I-I didn’t know what I have to do.”

“You are weak at that. Now I am worried he will chase you again after this.”

He walks toward me with eyes staring at my eyes sharply. Kind of eyes that successfully lock the target. Oh my God, what will he do? He keeps moving forward. And again, I can’t move. His body pushes me to wall, he pins me. I can see clearly his eyes again so this close. Those amazing dark brown eyes, but it looks brighter today because of the sunlight through the window. And his skin looks more pale. He really looks like Edward Cullen in Twilight. Beautiful.

“W-what are you-“

“Sshh!” he whispered softly.

He moves his face to me. I can feel how warm his breath on my neck. I squeeze my eyes tight as my hands unconsciously grabs his arms.

I try not to release any mo an as he nibbles my neck.