Shopping

Slaves of Blue Moon

It was a long way back to the park where we gathered before. In contrast to the quiet, refreshing surrounding that we had on the way, the park is filled with students, laughing among themselves and slaves, following behind their masters. If it was not obvious how the students group themselves among people of their own status before, it’s clear now. Diamonds with other diamonds, silk with other silk and rags with, well, alone mostly since there are hardly any around.

“I guess everyone is going for grocery shopping” I said “so, which way to get groceries?” I asked but got no answer, so, I turn around to find none of them behind me. I looked around and found them reading a notice at the notice board. I huffed when I realised that they left me without saying anything.

I hit all three of them in the back when I reached them. “Why did you guys leave me? I look like an idiot talking to myself” I stated.

“Sorry Hana. Eunji saw a new notice plastered on the board and went to read it. I just followed her” Junho said apologetically.

I nod and turn to Chanyeol “May I know why were you with them?” I asked as I raised a brow.

He smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck “I wanted to know what it was and kind of forgot to inform you” he said.

I rolled my eyes at him and turn my attention to Eunji “So, what did it say?” I asked her.

“It seems like we can’t use money to buy anything in this academy” she answered.

I frowned at that “How are we supposed to buy anything without money?” I asked her again.

She pointed to a picture which look like a smartphone “We use this” she said “new students are required to retrieve it as soon as possible at the administration office” she stated.

I squinted as I looked at the picture “And how do you suppose we use this to pay for the things we buy?” I asked and heard a sigh from her.

“I don’t know. The last time I checked, I just entered this academy” she scowled then rolled her eyes.

I laughed nervously “Sorry” I said in a whisper as she turn and walked away.

“Administration office is this way” she said without looking back.

Sassy Eunji is scary so say no more I thought and followed her.

 

When we reached the administration office, I found slaves lining up from the entrance all the way to where we were standing. We stood behind the last person in the line and found out that it was my angel from before. I tapped her shoulder and waved at her when she turned to look at me.

“Hi, we meet again” I said and saw her looking clueless “uhhh… I bumped into you earlier” I told her, scratching the back of my head “on the way to the park” I said slowly as I was wondering if she really could not recognize me “before we went to our room… uh… our assigned house” I corrected myself although I could feel my smile faltered a bit.

Her eyes widened and she smiled, showing her white teeth. “Ah! The girl from before!” she exclaimed “I’m sorry I bumped into you before. I was too absorbed in searching for my brother that I wasn’t aware of my surrounding” she bowed to me as she apologized.

“Ah… don’t…” I started but was interrupted by another voice.

“What did you do to my sister?!” the voice was stern but felt oddly familiar.

I turn around to find the guy who told me that Eunji was just embarrassed or something along that line when we were at the park, standing right behind me.

“Oh, the girl from before” he muttered as his angry face turn to surprise.

“Oppa, you’ve met her?” my angel asked and I saw the guy turn to her as he nod her head.

“I met her while looking for you” he said “you know her?” he asked but quickly shook his head “that’s not it. Why were you apologizing just now? Did she bully you or something?” he asked in a rather scary tone.

“Oppa, you’ll scare her” she said “she wasn’t bullying me. I was just apologizing for bumping into her before” she explained.

The brother turned his attention to me and asked “Is that true?” with a slightly worried look on his face.

I forced a smile and nodded as an answer to his question. “Yeah, I was just… greeting her…” I stopped and changed what I wanted to say to “so you’re her brother?”

He made an apologetic smile and said “Yes, I’m her brother. My name is Seungcheol and she’s Seunghee. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding” he bowed to me after the introduction.

“Oh no, no, don’t worry” I waved my hand around to stop him from bowing “Are you a senior here?” I asked.

“Yes, I’m in my second year” he replied “I’m sorry if I was harsh with you. I’m just afraid that the people around here would bully her because I am void so, when I saw her apologizing, I just assumed that you were bullying her. I was in a rush looking for her when we first met” he explained.

“Seungcheol-ssi, you’re a void?” Eunji asked. I saw both Junho and Chanyeol’s eyes went wide as they stare at her. Junho’s eyes were shaking as if he was nervous that something might happen to his master. He’s already in a defensive stance.

I saw Seungcheol turn to look at Eunji for the first time. “Y-Yes” he said in a shaky voice. He looked like someone who had made a big blunder. A mistake that could cause him his life. He pulled his sister so that she stands behind him, holding her wrist in a tight grip.

“Seungcheol-ssi, what’s wrong?” I asked and he flinched and took a defensive stance at the sight of me moving the slightest bit. I turned to Chanyeol, questioning his action with my eye. The only reply I got was a shrug.

I look at my angel and saw her panicked expression. Her eyes were darting from left to right, looking at Eunji, me and the area around us as if searching for a way to escape.

“Um… Seungcheol-ssi?” he jumped when his name was called “Did I do something wrong?” Eunji continued as she looked at me for help.

Something wrong? What did she even do? She only asked if he was void I thought to myself and then, it clicked Void. Bully. He’s afraid that we’re the same like other masters here I looked at Chanyeol to tell him that I got it and he nodded.

“Seungcheol-ssi, don’t worry. We won’t harm you or your sister” I said and as if a lightning had just struck her, Eunji’s body went straight and rigid.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to sound like those people” she started to get teary “I’m sorry” she said and touched Seungcheol gently to show that she meant well. She then went to Seunghee and hugged her while repeating the same thing.

“I asked if you’re a void only because I just learned about a void and have never met one” she said as she looked at Seungcheol in the eyes while still hugging my angel, comforting her “I only wanted to ask a few questions” she muttered.

The look in Seungcheol’s eyes shows that he had realised that Eunji was being sincere and started to relax. I turn to Chanyeol and saw Junho who was standing next to him looking worried. I motioned for Junho to come closer.

“Get Eunji to stop crying and off the girl. I’ll handle the rest” I told him and he went straight to his master.

He made her release Seunghee and comforted Eunji by rubbing circles on her back. Seunghee went straight to her brother’s arms the moment she was released. Seungcheol looked at me and gave an apologetic smile.

“Miss…” Seungcheol started but stopped as he doesn’t know her name.

“Eunji” I helped and he nodded as thanks.

“Miss Eunji. I’m sorry I misunderstood your intention. I hope you will forgive me” he said which made both my friend and the angel look at him.

“N-No… I was wrong” Eunji replied “I was…”

“Just curious” Seungcheol continued with a nod “I understand so, stop crying” he told her.

Eunji tried to hold her tears from flowing, although it seemed like a failed attempt to me. “But…”

“No buts. Seungcheol-ssi said he understood. Everything was just a misunderstanding and we’re getting closer to the office” I said and pointed to the door just a few feet away from us.

Everyone looked at the entrance and I could see their eyes widen. “H-How did w-we even…” Eunji asked, tears completely stopped flowing due to the shock.

“Well, you know how Chanyeol can surprise us at times” I told them and shrugged.

“What do you mean by at times? I work miracle” he said animatedly.

“Yeah, yeah” I said, ignoring the said guy.

“Wha-argh! Hana!” he exclaimed and everyone laughed.

I gave Chanyeol a side glace and smiled when he made the unsatisfied look. I turned my attention back to my angel and saw her trying to say something. “Is there anything you wanted to say, Seunghee?” I asked and saw a tinge of pink on her cheek.

“I wanted to thank you for helping us clear the misunderstanding” she said with a lowered gaze.

“No big deal” I told her and chuckled.

“Also, I still don’t know your name” she said and her cheeks turned an obvious pink.

I laughed at her and said “I’m Hana. Let’s be friends” I reached out my hand for a handshake which she luckily didn’t left it hanging.

“Can I?” she asked timidly.

“Sure! I’m Eunji and since you’re her friend, you’re mine too” Eunji said out loud with a big smile which caused Seunghee to laugh.

“Whoop, we’re next” Seungcheol said and we all went in. The two siblings went to a vacant counter first. I went to the counter next to them when the counter is vacant.

“Put your thumb here” the lady at the counter said while pointing at the device in front of me. As soon as I place my thumb on the device, the lady said “Kim Hana, 16, Village of the Beginning, special case admittance…” she trailed off “are you the same person as what I’m describing?” she looked up for the first time.

“Yes” I simply answered.

“Here’s your smartphone. Every payment made in the academy area is using this device and of course, you can still use it just like a normal smartphone” she explained in a monotone “we provide some money in the smartphone as start-up allowance for each student who just entered. You can gain money through the activities done in the academy which includes examination. Here is a guide for you if you missed anything I said” she gave me a booklet “do you want to add the amount in your account? If not, you may proceed to the exit” she added and looked me in the eyes again.

Since I was flustered by how fast and robotic in the way she talk, I simply gave her my pouch. She opened the pouch, taking out all the money in it and counted them. “10 gold and silver coins. Do you want me to add all this into your account?” she asked and I nodded.

She typed some things into her computer, placed the money into a machine behind her and gave me back my pouch before saying “If that is all, you may proceed to the exit” as she pointed to the exit. As if in a daze, I walked out of the office.

When I was out, I turned to Chanyeol and asked “What the hell just happened?”

He laughed at my reaction and when I saw Eunji getting out of the door with a confused look, I get why he’s laughing. I must have looked the same.

“What was that?” Eunji asked when she saw me and all I could do was shake my head.

“That is what the administration office look like every time new students enter the academy. They are more human during normal days” Seungcheol said with a chuckle.

“You’re done?” I asked Seunghee and she nodded.

“We were done much earlier than you two actually. We were waiting for you” she said.

The surprised look on our face must have been the reason why Seungcheol explained further. “We were given briefing on what to do during middle school” he stated.

I nodded but then recalled something. “What about those who sent their…” I trailed off.

“They had registered their slaves as the recipient during middle school or yesterday the latest” Seunghee said.

There was a short silence between us until I heard my stomach growl. I looked up at the others in embarrassment. “Let’s go get some food” I said softly.

“Follow me” Seungcheol laughed as he walked “I’ll bring you to the nearest market area” he said without looking back but I could sense him smiling from the way he talked.

We followed him from behind and I opened the booklet to read because who knows what the robotic lady was saying previously. “Allowance given is according to admittance type. Normal admittance 50 gold coins, special admittance 100 gold COINS?!” I could feel my eyes getting bigger as I was reading the first part I saw. I looked up at Seunghee and she smiled.

“Well, they are labelled as special” she emphasized.

“The money is mainly used to help those that come from far areas, like you, to get used to the situation here” Seungcheol said “another reason is to shut those city special admittance from demanding things just because they are umm… special” he continued.

I nodded as I listened to his explanation but the soft buzzing made me turn my attention elsewhere. I could see the fountain from when we first gathered on my left side but the buzzing came from my right, which happened to be nothing but trees.

“What is that buzzing sound?” I asked as I look around.

Seungcheol looked at me and smiled. “That my dear, is the market” he said as he turned to his right at the corner.

Upon following his footsteps, turning at the corner, I saw a crowd bustling around, looking at things sold at the stalls lining both sides of the pathway not too far from where I stand. Some were buying things from the stalls, some were haggling the price and some were just walking straight ahead into the crowd.

“This is the open market. The things here are cheaper than those in the malls further ahead” Seungcheol explained “most students prefer purchasing their items here especially for those who are tight on their budget” he took a glance at me “plus you can lower the price of the items if you’re good at haggling” he said.

I nodded in response as I look at the things sold at one of the stalls. “How much cheaper is this place compared to the malls?” I asked, still focused on the different types of fruits displayed on the stall.

“Let’s see, you can get a loaf of bread for 2 coppers here but the price for a loaf of bread is 5 copper in the mall” he said and I almost dropped the apple that I had just picked.

I turned to him, displaying a shocked face “That’s like more than 2 times the price they’re selling here. Who would want to buy things there?” I asked him and picked a few more apples before going for the pears next to it.

This time, I heard Eunji responded from my right “Uh, maybe those rich city kids?” and based on the way she said it, the words just slipped out of without thinking. I turned to look at her and saw her looking at the peaches.

“Yeah, she’s right” Seungcheol commented “It’s mostly those guys and first timers” he said “and maybe those who wants to go to the cafes there because their cakes are delicious” he continued and connected his smartphone with the seller’s smartphone. No, it looks more like placing it close to each other.

“Was that how you pay?” I asked when I saw another person doing the same thing.

“Hmm? Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you how it works” he said and pulled out his phone from his pocket. He opened it pointed to an icon in the phone “this one here says account right? Open it and then you have to insert the amount. Get the phone close the receiver and click send and the money will be transferred to the receiver once they click received. We have to put the phone close because this place is crowded. We don’t want to lose the money to someone else do we?” he smiled.

He raised his head, looking for something and when he seemed to find what he’s looking for, he pointed to it, making me turn to the direction of a different stall. “Can you see that small white thing in front of that lady?” he asked so I nodded when I saw the white thing on the stall in front of the lady who is holding a paper bag “that is an automatic receiver. You just need to put your phone close to it and the device will automatically get the amount from your account. You don’t even need to insert the amount and click send from your phone” he explained and I saw the boy did what he just said and received the paper bag from the lady.

I kept on nodding as I gave the fruits I had picked to the granny in front of me. She smiled at me “First year? Do you understand how it works now young lady?” she asked and I said yes to her in response.

After making sure all the fruits are transferred into a paper bag and calculating the price, the granny frowned “Are you buying this fruit for a month? That’s a lot of fruits you’re buying there” she said and I looked at the fruits again.

I do feel like it’s a lot more than what I had picked earlier. I glanced at Eunji and saw her smiling sheepishly. She had added her portion with mine I thought. “No, it’s for the both of us” I pointed to Eunji and then back to myself before opening the account to insert the amount.

“Uhh… I’m sure that both you and your friend are sharing but the amount from your portion is like” she hesitated for a while and resorted to saying “a lot” and looked to the person behind me doubtfully.

I sighed when I saw that look on her. Chanyeol must have gotten a lot for himself and made Eunji keep shut I thought is that why you were smiling at me Eunji? I wondered and forced a smile. “Oh, don’t worry about that. He’s having only fruits for a month. That’s why he took a LOT of the fruits” I emphasized and felt the person behind me touching my shoulder.

“You’re not serious, are you?” Chanyeol asked in a panic.

“I am definitely serious” I said with a smile and the old lady seemed to understand that I was never going to do that so she told me the price and I immediately paid. I could see him flailing his long arms to stop the granny from receiving my payment and removing his portion of fruits.

The granny who seems to understand that I was playing a prank on Chanyeol ignored his pleas and only smiled at me when receiving the money. She added a few more fruits in the paper bag and gave it to Chanyeol “Here you go dear, I added a few more in it. I hope this is enough as your meal for a month” she decided to join me in the prank.

When I saw her doing that, there’s only one thing in my mind YOU ROCK GRANNY! Chanyeol may be smart enough to move us forward while we were busy talking but he’s a total idiot when it comes to his food.