four.

Partners in Crime

(Narrator POV)

 

There was a loud knock at the door, followed by several louder knocks after that. 

 

SooLee woke up and looked over at the clock, it was 5:49am. She rolled out of bed and answered the door. At the front door, there were three police officers, dressed with bulletproof vests and guns on their waist. Behind them were 5 police cars with several police officers inside them. 

 

"Hello ma'am." The officer bowed slightly. 

 

"Omo, what's going on officer?" SooLee says, looking around at all of the officers at her front door. 

 

"My name is Officer Lee Junho. Sorry to disturb but there's been a murder down in the city." The officer began. SooLee made a worried face when she heard murder. "So we were ordered to come here to the valley to make sure the elderly and young children were safe." He said looking down at her.

 

"Oh, that is terrible. But I think I'll be fine. My grandson and his girlfriend are here so they can protect me." SooLee said with a smile.

The officer looked at the other officer that was behind him and they both nodded. "Do you mind if we take a look inside?" The officer asked while he was already walking into the house.

 

_____________________

 

(Jinyoung POV)

 

I quickly woke up after hearing loud footsteps in the house. 

My grandmother isn't heavy enough to be making those steps.

 

I got out of the bed and tip toed towards the door. I cracked the door open slightly to peek outside. In the living room, there were three police officers searching around the house. I went over to the window and saw more police cars parked outside. 

 

I swore under my breath and ran over to the bed. "Babe, wake up!" I whispered/yelled. 

 

She woke up quickly. "What? What's wrong?" She was also whispering. 

 

"The police are in the house." I said grabbing all of our stuff. 

 

In all of 5 seconds, she got off the bed, put her shoes on and grabbed the rest of our stuff. 

"We can go through the back door." I told her as I threw the backpack on my back. 

 

We quickly but quietly run out of the room and towards the back door. I peeked out to see where the police were searching, right as we were about to move, an officer walked next to us with a flashlight. We both stood still, holding our breath. We were standing in a dark spot of the corner so we couldn't be seen. After about 30 seconds, the officer turned off his flashlight and walked the other direction. Once he was gone, we ran until we reached the car then got inside. Luckily the police were only parked in front of the house. I started the car and we drove off.

 

(Narrator POV)

 

"All of this is so unnecessary. My grandson is a sweetheart, he would never to anything like what you guys are saying." SooLee said as she showed the officers where the bedroom was.

 

"It's always surprising to know what some people are really capable of, ma'am." Said the officer. 

 

SooLee walked to the bedroom. "They are just in here sleeping." She opened the door to reveal an empty room. SooLee looked shocked when the couple wasn't in the room. 

 

The officer ran out of the house to see a car driving down the hill. The officer grabbed his radio and spoke in it, "This is Officer Lee, with the Seoul County Police Deportment, we have a suspicious couple fleeing our in-house search. It is possible that it can be the UNSUBS we are looking for." He ran off into his car along with the other officers. 

 

______________________

 

 

 

I tapped my fingers on my thigh as Jinyoung drove on the road. I thought about how many times were going to be in this exact situation. I thought about SooLee, I felt bad that we involved her into this. She must be so confused and hurt that we didn't tell her anything. We will have to explain all of this to her when we get out of this. Or should I say 'if' we get out of this. 

 

He was driving so fast I thought we were going to crash. I looked over and saw a small market store. 

"Pull over." Was all I said.

 

"What?" He looked over me for a split second.

 

"Just pull over." 

 

Jinyoung pulled into the parking lot of the store. I pulled some money out of the backpack then ran into the store. I grabbed all of the items that we needed, paid and was out of the store. I was in and out so fast that I don't think the employee saw my face. 

 

I got into the car and Jinyoung looked at the bag. "What did you get?" 

 

"You'll see. Let's just find a motel." I said.

 

I didn't mean to say it in a rude way but I was functioning on 2 hours of sleep. Every night, we only get at the most 4 hours of sleep and I think it was catching up to me.

 

___

 

We finally found another motel, this one seemed sketchier than the other ones we stayed in but we can't complain.

 

We walked into the room and Jinyoung turned to me. "So what did you buy?" He reached for the bag. 

 

I placed the bag on the bed and pulled out two jackets. "We need to change our looks. We've been spotted in these outfits already." The last two things in the bag were two boxes of hair dye. 

 

"Hair dye?" Jinyoung held the box in his hand.

 

"We aren't going to last long if we only change our outfits. We need to make ourselves harder to recognize." I said then grabbed Jinyoung and brought him into the tiny bathroom. I put both of the boxes on the sink then looked at Jinyoung. He looked apprehensive but he knew it was the smart thing to do. 

 

I mixed the ingredients together then looked at the old Jinyoung one more time before adding the blonde hair dye to his hair. The smell was strong and it made my eyes burns. I added all the product to his hair then left him to sit there watching his old color disappear. 

 

I got jet black hair dye for myself. It wasn't that much darker than my natural hair color but it definitely made a difference. 

 

_____

 

We both sat on the edge of the bathtub and waited for the hair dye to settle. Jinyoung's hair was done first so he washed it out in the shower. When mine was ready, I washed it in the sink. 

 

We both started at each other in the mirror with our semi-wet freshly dyed hair. 

 

After a long moment of silence for our once naturally colored hair, I broke the silence.

 

 

 

"You know, you actually look good as a blonde."