three.

Partners in Crime

"What do you mean 'they know?'" Jinyoung said as he drove out of the parking lot.

 

"The police knows it was us. Our picture is plastered on the front page of the newspaper." I let out all in one breath. "It had your name and the name of guy." 

 

"Did it have your name in it?" He looked at me then at the rode again. 

 

"No, they didn't know-" 

 

"Good." 

 

"Good?" I looked over at him. "What do you mean good? Nothing about this is good."

 

"Babe! Come down." He only slightly raised this voice. "Don't freak out. I have a plan." He sounded way too calm.

 

"A plan?"

 

"Well, it's not the best plan but it's a start." He started. "We're going to stay at my grandmother's house. Just until we can come up with a better plan." 

 

"What if she already saw the news or read the paper. She's not going to want us to hide out in her house." I scoffed. 

 

"Don't worry about that, she's lives in a rural area. They don't have much electricity there so we'll be fine." 

 

I softly sighed then nodded my head, "Okay." 

 

 

---

 

It took him an hour and a half to get to his grandmother's house. Jinyoung spent the whole ride trying to distract my mind but it didn't work. 

 

He stopped the car in front of her house then got out the car. Outside the front door stood a small, friendly looking woman. I followed him out the car and stood as we reached his grandmother. 

 

"Oo! Is that my Jinyoungie?!" His grandmother had a huge smile on her face. 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo halmeoni!" Jinyoung opened his arm and hugged her.

 

"Ah I missed you!" She squeezed him tight. Her eyes look at me and she pulled away from him. "Is this the girl that you've been telling me about?" She moved away from him and came in front of me.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo Ms. Park." I smiled and bowed at her. 

 

"Oh call me Soo Lee." She pulled me into a hug. I smiled and hugged her back.

 

After a few seconds she pulled away and looked at the both of us. "So what are you guys doing here?" 

 

I looked over at Jinyoung, who came up with a quick lie. "Well I missed my grandmother so I decided we come and visit you. Why? Do you not want us here?" He pretend to turn around and leave. 

 

"Oh of course I want you guys here!" Soo Lee smiled. "Come on inside." She grabbed both of our arms and pulled us inside the house.  

 

"Okay, you two sit down, make yourself comfortable and I'll make you something warm to eat." SooLee said once we entered the house.

 

"You don't have to do that, were fin-" Jinyoung started but SooLee interrupted him. "Nonsense! You know you always have to eat when you visit me. And plus, you need some meat on your bones!" She grabbed Jinyoung's arm and demonstrated how skinny it was. 

 

 "Okay." Jinyoung gave up and sat down on the couch. I laughed at their mini-argument then sat down next to him on the couch. 

 

I remember I had the same relationship with my grandmother, but that was a long time ago. 

 

I sighed then looked around at the interior of the house, it was small but it felt like a home. I could see SooLee speeding through the kitchen, trying to find ingredients for whatever she was making. 

 

"I feel bad." I said, looking away from SooLee and at Jinyoung. "The longer we stay here, the more trouble we can get her in." 

 

He didn't look my direction but I could hear him let out a deep sigh."Can you please stop worrying for like 5 minutes?" He leaned back on the couch. "I brought us here so we can have time to think of what to do next but that won't happen if you keep stressing." He finished talking and took his jacket off, next was his shoes, then he stretched his arm out on the couch. 

 

I looked at him with a 'what are you doing?' face.

 

"What?" He turned his head to me, "She told us to get comfortable." 

 

I only shook my head then laid back also. 

 

 

"The food is ready!" SooLee yelled from the kitchen. 

 

Jinyoung and I got off the couch and walked into the dining room. SooLee had just finished putting the food on the table. I looked at what she made and noticed it was fried kimchi rice. 

 

I've lived in Korea for a long time so I knew what it was just by the sight of it.

 

My stomach grumbled at the sight and smell of the food. We both haven't had a decent meal in a long time. 

 

We all sat down and it took us no time to start eating. 

 

The only sounds in the room was silverware hitting our plates and a random drama playing on the tv. 

 

SooLee started up a conversation with Jinyoung. She was talking kind of fast so it was hard for me to comprehend everything she was saying. 

 

Then SooLee said something and I definitely knew what she was saying.

 

"So when are you two going to get married and give me a great-grandchild?" She said with a smile. 

 

I choked on the spoon of rice that I just placed in my mouth while Jinyoung let out a nervous laugh.

 

"Grandma, were too young to be talking about all of that?" Jinyoung said, avoiding eye contact.

 

SooLee laughed and held up her hands in defense. "It's only a simple question." 

 

~~~

 

After dinner, we walked to SooLee's garden and helped her plant vegetables. 

 

It was very quiet and peaceful at her house that I almost forgot about the situation we were in.  

 

SooLee handed me a pack of seeds and placed them into the already made dirt holes. 

 

"Wow, you're good at this! You're going to have to come over more often." SooLee smiled and said to me.

 

"Yeah I'd like that." I returned the smile but I knew that would probably be a long time from now. 

 

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Jinyoung's phone. This was the third time it rung and it was starting to worry me. 

 

Jinyoung let out a frustrated sigh and walked away from the garden. I followed behind him while SooLee stayed focus on her cabbage.  He went over to small lake that was near us and threw his phone far into the lake. 

 

I rushed over to him. 

 

"Jinyoung! What the hell? Why'd would you throw away our only source of communication?!" I whisper/ yelled at him.

 

"Jay won't stop calling me, okay? I don't want the police to be able to track our location and find us." Jinyoung explained to me and I calmed down a bit. "If we ever need to talk to someone, we can just use a payphone." He finished. 

 

I nodded my head. I understand why Jinyoung got rid of the phone, it's too dangerous to have been carrying it around with us. We have to hope that they weren't tracking us down already. 

 

"Okay, I understand." I said turning towards the lake. "I'm just on edge, you know? I'm worried that the longer were here, the more trouble we can get your grandma into." I turned my head around and looked over at SooLee, who waved at us. 

 

"Me too." Jinyoung said and waved back. "That's why we have to act as normal as possible so that she doesn't suspect anything." He said as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into a hug while SooLee gushed over how cute she thought we were. 

 

I saw Jinyoung look around and smile at one of the neighbors that were looking at us from around the lake. 

 

"Come on inside you love birds, it's getting dark." SooLee said as she walked back into the house.

 

We both nodded and followed her into the house.