A Lover's Vow

A Lover's Vow

   Stepping out into the slightly cool air, Taeyeon’s fingertips lose contact with the car door as it slams shut with a muffled BANG. She indolently locked it with it's remote starter and plodded her way to the tall dark building that overshadowed her. Entering the warm and cozy lobby, she heads to the elevators, not forgetting to half-heartedly greet the security guard sitting behind the front desk before the doors close. The elevator slowly begins going up floor by floor. Taeyeon slides her phone out of her left pocket, pressing the power button. She squints at the brightness before her eyes automatically adjust to the small screen. Unlocking her phone, she scrolls through her notifications hoping to find a missed call or text from her girlfriend, but no. There was nothing. Feeling a wave of mixed emotions, none being favourable, she turns off her device and stuffs it back into her pocket.

~DING~

   The elevator stopped on the twenty-sixth floor and the doors slid open creating an unpleasant sound that made it obvious that they would require repairments relatively soon. Using the remainder of her energy, Taeyeon drags her feet through the poorly lit halls leading up to her condo door. Unlocking and opening the door, her pale, slender hand finds it's way through the darkness to the wall with a switch leveled at her neck. The bright lights shone simultaneously with the flick of the switch. She steps in, closing the door behind as she unties and removes her shoes and puts slippers on in their place. She makes her way to her room and plops her stuff next to her door, deciding that she'll put it all away tomorrow when she has more energy and is in a better mood. She opens her closet and scans through her drawers to find her pjs. Deciding on a black tank top and black short shorts, she lazily removes her shirt and s her pants, sliding them down her silky smooth legs. She pulls the tank top over her head and pulls her shorts up. As she's picking up her clothes her eyes lock on a photo resting on her bedside table. Putting her clothes into her laundry bag, she walks over to the photo and picks it up. A wide grin spreads across her lips as she traces the figure in it with her finger. It was a picture from her girlfriend's birthday last year. It showed the couple hugging and smiling at the camera while Taeyeon kissed her cheek.

   They had been dating since last May, but since that was two months after Taeyeon's birthday, they had never celebrated it together. But it seems as though she would have to wait another year for that because her girlfriend had forgotten that today was her birthday. They had never talked much about birthdays, but they we're both aware of when each other's was. They had told one another their birthdates not long after they had gotten together. It was one of the first things they really got to know about each other, so the fact that Taeyon was the only one to remember, saddened her. Even after a year, Tiffany hadn't managed to remember her birthday. Yes, her girlfriend's name was Tiffany. To Taeyeon, that was the most beautiful name she had ever heard. Perfect name for such a beautiful girl. Taeyeon had payed so much attention to Tiffany over the year they that they've been dating. She had all the little facts about her down within a month and a half. Her favourite colour, flowers, food, past times, and so many details in between. Tiffany had done the same, just with a little more time. It didn't bother Taeyeon though because in her eyes she was perfect no matter what.

   She wondered if this was really something to be upset over. She was a little sad, but there was always next year, right? But how will she ever bring this up? If Tiffany ever asks her when her birthday is what was she supposed to tell her? That it had already passed? That would just make her feel bad. No matter how she brings it up, Tiffany would probably feel bad and Taeyeon doesn't want that. She loves Tiffany so much and isn't willing to lose her, especially over such a minor thing. She doesn't want to make this some sort of argument between them. Noticing that she's still standing in her room holding the photo, Taeyeon puts the frame back down on the table and walks over to the kitchen. She decides to make a tea in hopes to calm her mind. After filling the kettle, Taeyeon sets it gently on the stove and turns the nob to set the tempurature. While waiting, she makes her way over to the window and stares out at the city below. The small yet powerful lights from the cars, buildings, streetlights, and houses each stood out creating a breathtaking view of Seoul City. It truly was stunning at night. Taeyeon glanced over at the clock hanging on the wall, 11:24pm. The day was slowly coming to an end. She hated how fast her free time had passed. She spent her whole day at work, didn't get to see or hear from her girlfriend, and only had thirty-six minutes until her not-so-special day was over. Tomorrow was the weekend at least. Though, being an artist and part time graphic designer meant that she would be working on some projects to get done for Monday.

"There goes my Saturday" She thought sighing audibly.

"Even if I do have Sunday, what am I supposed to do? Tiffany will be working at the café with her friend." She was too deep in her thoughts to notice the front door being opened. A brunette slowly walked in and sneaked into the living room. She quietly placed her bag down on the couch, careful not to alert the older girl. She ambled up behind Taeyeon and smiled seeing her focused like that. She looked so cute. It was almost hard to believe that she was able to call the girl hers. Taeyeon meant the world to her which was why she was determined to make up for not being able to call her or wish her a happy birthday. They've both been so busy with work lately that they haven't had much time together.

Tiffany was almost certain that Taeyeon thought she had forgotten all about her birthday. Never would she let something like that happen. She had been looking for the perfect gift, or at least gift idea, for a long time now and wanted to make sure that there was meaning behind it. Not wasting another second, Tiffany encircled her arms around the shorter girl. Tiffany felt Taeyeon tense up a bit before loosening up and resting her hands on top of the ones around her waist. With her chin resting on Taeyeon's shoulder, Tiffany leaned in to kiss her on the cheek. They stood by the window embracing each other and admiring the view. Hearing the high pitched screech emitting from the kettle, Taeyeon remembered that she was planning on making tea.

"Would you like a tea?" Taeyeon softly asked before turning and taking Tiffany's hand in her own.

"Yes please." Tiffany responded with a sincere eye smile.They walked hand in hand to the kitchen. Taeyeon got two mugs from the cupboard while Tiffany sat at the counter and watched her lovingly. Taeyeon poured the tea and catiously walked over to the table handing Tiffany her cup.

"Thank you" Tiffany said before taking a sip. A few minutes past with neither of them saying anything. For the first time, the silence between them seemed awkward. Taeyeon thought she was the only one that felt it, still believing that Tiffany had not idea about what day it was, but Tiffany definately felt it and was even more heartbroken seeing the sad tint in Taeyeon's eyes as she tried so hard to focus on something other than Tiffany . Peaking at the clock, 11:47pm, Tiffany decided that it was time to make up for the day they've had, and if she didn't do it now, Taeyeon might lose any hope she still had. She placed her tea back onto the table and went to grab her bag that was still sitting upright on the couch. Bringing it back into the kitchen, she placed it on the chair next to her and began carefully searching through it. Taeyeon watched her girlfriend half-heartedly expecting her to pull out her phone or makeup or something along those lines. Finally finding what she was looking for, Tiffany pulled out a small white cushioned box. Noticing that Taeyeon wasn't looking at her, she slowly slid the box across the table until it touched one of her fingers. Taeyeon turned her head and looked down at the box, eying it confusingly. She looked up to see Tiffany smiling at her.

"Open it" She said softly, traces of excitement evident in her voice. Taeyeon drew her attention back down to the box and slowly pulled at the lid of the box until it opened. Taeyeon's heart fluttered uncontrollably as she made out two silver rings with small diamonds on the top inside a cushioned holder. While she was staring at the rings, Tiffany walked around the table and kneeled by Taeyeon's side, holding her hands.

"I'm really sorry I couldn't wish you a happy birthday earlier. But I just want you to know that I would never, ever, forget a day as important as the day you were brought into this world. If it wasn't for this day, you might not have been born and I would've never met you, and I don't know what I would do without you here with me. I know you might've wanted to be the one to do this, but I couldn't let this opportunity slip. Kim Taeyeon, will you marry me?" Tiffany looked hopefully into her lover's eyes. They were a beautiful dark brown, but they could barely be seen now that Taeyeon was shedding countless amounts of tears. She nodded eagerly and whispered a

"Yes" before pulling Tiffany up into a well overdue kiss.

.

 

~The End~

_______________________________________________________

 

Wow, that turned out a lot longer than I had expected... It started out as a few paragraphs that I had used for a school assignment (with different characters) and was able to fit on one page when printed. This is my first story so it won't be the best, but it's all about improving and I think that posting my stories will be a great way to see the progress in my writing. With the work I'm getting from school, I can't guarantee updates all the time, but I will try as much as I can to be active. It's late and I need to be up early tomorrow so I only had time to proofread it once. When I have time I will reread it and possibly fix up a few things. I think it helps to read over work on a new day once your mind has reset .I will be focusing on one shots until I have the time and inspiration to write a full length story. I'm looking forward to writing more in the near future, gomawoyo! ^^ Taeyeon'sPpanypack out!