9. here i am

The Untouchables

When I wake up, I am in a room that is not my own.

 

    I shoot up, my eyes wide. Instead of my dress, I am wearing an oversized tshirt and a pair of sweats. Desperation clutches at my throat as I throw myself out of bed, frantically searching for my phone. Holy , what did I do last night? It feels like a metal hammer is crushing my skull and I collapse onto the bed again, clutching my head between my arms.

 

    “Oh my god,” I whimper, rubbing my temples.

 

    And then a voice says, “I see you’re awake.”

 

I freeze. Slowly, I look up.

 

Sehun is towering above me, his arms crossed. He looks proper and put-together; a stark contrast from the pathetic, shaking mess that I am right now. A judgemental look is on his face.

 

“Calm down,” he says, seeing my horrified face. “We didn’t do anything. You were a mess last night. We just took you back home.”

 

We?

 

And as if on cue, the door opens and JB tiptoes in, carrying a gray thermos flask in his hand. When he sees me sitting up, he gasps.

 

“Mihi! You’re awake!”

 

I wince. “Ow. You’re so loud.”

 

JB and Sehun exchange a glance. “First hangovers ,” JB says, and Sehun solemnly nods in agreement.

 

“Wait, so why am I here?” I croak. “And you- why did both of you- I mean...”

 

JB sighs. He takes a seat at the foot of my bed.     

 

    “I can’t believe you got that drunk last night,” he says, shaking his head. “Seriously. I go upstairs for 15 minutes to get some air, and then I hear crazy shrieking downstairs and you’re completely wiped and Byun Baekhyun is parading you around on his shoulders. I thought you were smarter than that, Mihi.”

 

    My face reddens. “Sorry.”

 

    “Well, at least you didn’t do anything embarrassing. The whole school knows about you and Hyuna’s drink-off. Everyone’s talking about it.”

 

    What?” I shriek, and then wince, clutching my head again.

 

    “Chill. They’re talking about how badass you two are. It seems like your popularity has skyrocketed exponentially.”

 

    I slump down, my head thudding against the bedframe. “Oh my god.

 

    “Anyway.” JB shakes his head. “I could tell you were about to pass out, and Mark and Suzy and everyone else were too drunk to function, so I got you off of Baekhyun’s shoulders and took you outside. Jackson, Fei, Min- none of them would pick up. I didn’t know how to get you back to school- I didn’t have a car, and our dorms were 45 minutes away by walk. And then... that’s when Sehun came, and offered to drive us back.”

 

    My gaze shifts to Sehun. He is leaning up against the wall, apprehending me with cold eyes.

 

    “You threw up in the back of my car,” he says monotonously.

 

    I stare at JB, my face blank with shock. “You’re kidding me.”

 

    “It’s not like I had any other options,” he replies testily. “And we couldn’t find your room key, so we put you in Sehun’s room, and... he slept in my room.”

 

    What the hell? I subtly pinch myself. This is too ridiculous to be true. JB and Sehun? What the ? I slept in Sehun’s room? What the ?

 

    “Where are my clothes?” I question.

 

    “Covered in vomit,” Sehun snorts. “I gave you some of mine.”

 

    Oh my god. I’m wearing his clothes? A strange feeling is rising up in my chest. No wonder this tshirt and these sweats are so big.

 

    Wait. Did he change my clothes?

 

    “Okay, now drink up.” JB hands me the thermos. “I’ll go get you some food.”

 

“Where are Suzy and Mark and everyone?” I ask weakly.

 

JB and Sehun both freeze. I stare at them in confusion.

 

“You can’t tell them about this,” Sehun says in a low voice.     

 

    JB nods gravely. “This is going to be our secret.”

 

    I frown. “Why? And what’s your deal with Mark anyway? How come-,”

 

    “Just don’t tell them, okay?” Sehun snaps. The two of us glare at each other, locked in a battle of heated stares, refusing to look away- until JB’s phone beeps.

 

    “Speak of the devil,” JB mutters. “It’s Mark, asking where we are.”

 

    “,” Sehun swears.

 

    “I’ll go take care of him,” JB says, grabbing his coat from the dresser. “Sehun, make sure she feels better. And hey.” He pauses, one foot out the door. “Thanks, man.”

 

    Sehun nods. He has a strange, knowing look on his face. “No problem.”

 

    JB leaves, and I am left alone with Sehun.

 

    Oh my god. I can’t deal with this. I get back in Sehun’s bed and pull the covers over my head.

 

    “What are you doing?” he says in a scathing voice.

 

    “I’m going to sleep, and hoping that I wake up in my bed and realize that this was all just some nightmare,” I mutter.

 

    “Stop being an idiot and get up. You need to drink this.”

 

    “I’m never going to drink anything ever again.”

 

    “Mihi. Mihi.” Sehun tries yanking the sheets off of my head, but I clutch them tightly, refusing to let go.

 

    “Leave me alone,” I say grumpily. Unfortunately, he doesn’t leave me alone. Sehun instead proceeds to rip the covers off of me from the bottom of the bed with one clean sweep. I squirm, trying to kick him away, but it is of no use. His stupid soccer reflexes help him dodge my flailing feet.

 

    “Pull yourself together,” Sehun barks. I throw him an aggrieved look.

 

    “I’m cold,” I moan, curling up into the fetal position.

 

    I can feel Sehun looking down at me. I know I am making an utter fool of myself.

 

    But honestly, after the state he saw me in last night... there’s no way he’ll ever look at me with respect again anyway.

 

    “Thank you, Sehun,” I mumble into his pillow.

 

    There is silence.

 

    And then I feel a blanket being draped on me again.

 

    I look up. Sehun is staring at me with an unreadable look on his face. He sits down on the bed next to me.

 

    “You didn’t need to do that,” he tells me quietly.

 

    I grimace. “Yeah, I did.”

 

    “Why are you trying so hard? Are you trying to prove something?”

 

    “Are you serious?” I push down my blankets, narrow my eyes. “You don’t know why I’m doing all of this. You don’t understand what made me-,”

 

    “I get why,” he says tersely. “I just thought you were above all of this.”

 

    I swallow. Anger is starting to pulse through my veins.

 

    “I’m sick and tired of being looked down on by all of you stupid rich kids,” I say in a low voice. “You- you guys think you’re so great. And you’re the worst, Sehun. Everyone thinks you’re some kind of god, and you think you’re better than everyone, and all I wanted to do was apologize to you for missing the Autumn Ball and you were so ing rude.

 

    I grimace. My head is pounding and I feel like , but I needed to get this all out.

 

    “You know what, Sehun?” I push myself out of bed, catching myself on his dresser after I almost topple over. “Forget it. I’m going back to my room. I’ll give you back your clothes later.”

 

    “You can’t keep doing this, Mihi,” Sehun says. “It’s not you. And JB is the only person in that group who actually cares about you. The rest of them are just using you to take me down.”

 

“Good,” I spit back at him. “Because I hate you, Sehun. And I want to see you go down, too.”

 

Sehun’s mask of apathy cracks, revealing shock and anger and hurt, but I do not stick around to watch him. Instead, I slam the door shut.

 

I'm pissed as hell. Not just at Oh Sehun, but at myself. Because I know I'm being irresponsible. I know I'm going over the top.

 

I shouldn't waste my time on anyone here. I don't need to prove anything to these people.

 

Yet here I am.

 

No. it.

 

     Oh Sehun. my hangover.

    And everyone here.