The Lifeguard

They Call Me Cougar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Hey." 

 

I jumped from my seat when I heard that. I then turned to my left to see the owner of the voice.

 

 

 

 

 

"Is Mrs. Lee in, right now?"

 

 

 

 

 

I frowned at him before turning to check the front door, wondering why he couldn't see it himself. Oh it's closed. The wind must have blew it inwards earlier.

 

Just then, Mrs. Lee squinted her eyes at me.

 

"Sandara. Do you mind explaining to me the basic idea of Newton’s Second Law?"

 

I might have just started hyperventilating right there. She might be nice but I would never want to get on her bad side.

 

You see, she's not called Mrs. Lee for nothing.

 

My Add Maths teacher is her husband. And yes. Such coincidence is possible!

 

"Errr." I stuttered, trying my best to sound like I was trying to collect my thoughts but I guess I went on too long as my classmates were starting to turn around to look at me.

 

Come on. I've studied this. I really think it’s supposed to be related with mass and acceleration or something along that line.

 

I was just about to open my mouth when a kind Samaritan who was just a millisecond faster than me answered the question in a lengthy answer in which I only caught two words; net force and mass. The voice appeared before a subtle knock on the door was heard.

 

"I'm sorry to interrupt your class, Mrs. Lee. I've just been informed that I'm supposed to be taking this class after I was given a new timetable." Mrs. Lee stared at the intruder standing outside who was the kind Samaritan that saved me for a good five seconds before quickly snapping back to reality.

 

Was his answer really that extraordinary? I wouldn't know.

 

"Well. Come in. You've already missed half of the chapter. But I see you've done your reading beforehand. Very good, -" She stopped her sentence in mid-air not knowing what to address this guy. He muttered some three syllable words which I would assume to be his name; not that I cared anyway. I wasn’t kidding when I mentioned about having the attention span of a fish.

 

He then did a quick bow before carrying his bag on one shoulder as he walked to the vacant table three seats away from me.

 

Days passed by very quickly and soon we were in the third week.

 

I was beginning to feel the stress again as most of the subjects started to take a toll on me before I could even take control of my studies. I tried to catch up but the same blurry feeling was coming back again. I was beginning to find it hard to grasp whatever that went on in classes.

 

I went in to the lab for Physics a few minutes earlier as I wanted to take extra precaution in order to not miss any part of the explanations before we had to do our own calculations. I then took a seat and stared at the report we had to write in class with the title of 'Buoyancy Is The Upward Force Exerted By A fluid That Opposes The Weight of An Immersed Object.'

 

This seems manageable for now. Not that bad at all, I convinced myself. I continued reading and then I saw the Archimedes’ principle and that was it.

 

Who am I kidding? 

 

Did they change the syllabus this year? Why the heck do I have no memory of ever doing these calculations? I looked to my right and took a peek of my table mates only to find them already scribbling numbers onto equations while I was looking like it was the first time I ever saw anything float on water.

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s your worst subject?”

 

 

 

 

 

I took a sharp intake of breath, being caught off guard. Holy . I thought that was Mrs. Lee.

 

“Huh?” I asked once I have recollected my thoughts and kept a calm exterior, while still staring at my report to not garner any unwanted attention to myself. God knows what I’ll do if Mrs. Lee asks me to recite my answers to the class.

 

 

 

 

 

“Well I’m guessing your best can’t be Maths or Physics considering how you can’t even understand the concept of buoyancy of water or should I say the ability to float on a swimming pool?” said the guy beside me.

 

 

 

 

 

Screw being found out by Mrs. Lee. I looked up to see the jerk only to freeze in surprise as I instantly recognized his face. I was so ready to curse the out of this guy when I remembered what he said about a pool.

 

Pool? What pool? Pool as in the Chae Rin-related incident?

 

How could he know that? I noticed how his shoulders started jerking-he must have been stifling what would have been a boisterous laughter.

 

And then I remembered that smirk!

 

It was him! He saved me the second time during Physics class. How did I not recognize him the first time he walked in the class?

 

Flashback to the three months break that I had before I found out that I wasn’t going to college yet,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter