Chapter 1: Dimples

A Change To The Boring Life Cycle [ON-HIATUS]

It had been approximately a year since Kangin was left alone in the altar of a church, wearing an expensive gray tux that he specifically chose for his wedding day. Sure he had been devastated to realize that his fiancé stood him up on his wedding day for some good looking French foreigner who knew how to bake and paint, but who can blame her? He was a bore to be with. It took a maximum of six months for his idiotic fiancé to realize that fact as well.

Kim Youngwoon had everything, money, looks, and a car that people would die to ride in, but what was stopping him? He wasn’t interesting to be with, at all. All of the past relationship he had ended in the same way, with the same reason. “I’m sick of you.” They all said in the same apologetic and petty expression as they ran off with some adventure-filled guy who loved to bleach their hair blonde. Sure a lot of women gave interest at first since he was rich and good looking, but after 2 months or so, they start getting bored and complacent.

He sat idly in an office chair, in his office, thinking of how boring he really is. Every day he had the same routine: wake up, go to work, go home, and watch baseball in his comfy ol’ sofa with his black French bulldog on his lap. He did nothing interesting at all but just work, go to business meetings, and watch endless games of baseball matches, he never went out with his officemates since he had no interest in socializing, plus he doesn’t even listen to music that much since he thinks that it was a hindrance to how your brain could work.

A knock on the door cut his train of thoughts. “Come in.” he said impassively as he leaned forward and placed his elbows on the table. The door slightly opened to reveal his assistant with a clipboard in his hands.

“You’re meeting is in 20 minutes.”  Hyukjae smiles at him. “Aka, your new client wants you to be there before 15 minutes, so you need to go right now.”

Kangin sighed. New clients were always a pain in the . He always had to have a smile on his face to get them to like him, moreover, whenever he had to get these new clients, there was always a short term of mishap.

Take his meeting last month for example with that Chinese business man, Zhou Mi. Their branch wanted a year-long partnership with Kangin’s company, and the burly man accepted the offer through e-mail but the Chinese man requested a meeting. So they did, but the down side to the meeting is that it was held in China, which got Kangin stressed out since he hasn’t spoken in Chinese for more than 2 years so he had to go learn it again for the meeting.

“Tell them I’m on my way to the room.” He requested with his palms rested on his forehead.

Hyukjae nodded and quietly left the room. Kangin followed shortly after a minute of gathering his wits. Luckily the meeting today was held in the private office in his building. From the profile, he was meeting Choi Siwon, the heir to the Choi Hotels group, a new client who wanted to partner with Kangin. It was no surprise since Kangin’s business was in buildings, including structuring hotels, restaurants, even pubs and clubs along the higher state of class in their country.

He has met this Choi person in a business party as well; taller than him with a very masculine structure, and has the smell of the richest man alive. Though Kangin is richer, his image seemed to have someone who likes drinking but then is very business-like as well, unlike Siwon who seemed like a celebrity and a corporate man at the same time.

The private office had double wooden doors that had a plate number in the center above it. He opened it forcefully but made sure not to startle anyone. He expected the tall good looking man in a white suit, but instead, he found someone else. A man with cinnamon colored hair that was parted in the middle was sitting at the end of the table, wearing a light brown suite. If Kangin had to be honest, he would say the man was very pretty. The cinnamon haired man looked up and found Kangin staring, he abruptly got up and dusted his pants and bowed to him. “Good day Mr. Kim.”

He wanted to say good day too, but he would be lying if he did. “I was expecting Choi Siwon to come.”

“Ah yes!” He seemed to relax after a moment. “Mr. Choi cannot make it today since his relative was brought in the hospital this morning. I am Park Leeteuk, his assistant.” He smiled, revealing his charming dimples.

He stared at the smiling man for a few seconds, “Why wasn’t I notified?”

The man named Leeteuk seemed a bit surprise at the question, “I apologize, but… We sent you an e-mail early this morning as well. I thought you have seen it…”

Kangin mentally slapped himself. He had to give Hyukjae an earful later on for not even telling him about the changes in today’s meeting. Whenever he thought of getting his secretary fired, it would always end up a failure since he knew what Hyukjae has been through. The skinny man has been with him since 6 years and has grown fond of the gummy smile he puts on every low standard jokes he tells every employee.

“I see, my apologies. It seems that I haven’t checked my e-mails from this morning.” He responded calmly. “Then, shall we proceed to the meeting as planned?” He used his arm to point to the rows of chair that were along the rectangular table inside the office.

Leeteuk nodded and followed the man to his seat. While he was at it, he got a clear view of his very broad back. “Mr. Choi has requested the print of the contract; I assume that it is printed?” He asks politely.

“Ah, yes. It is here.” Kangin took out the papers that were neatly placed inside a folder. The meeting with the pretty man seemed to go along well if it wasn’t for the fact that Kangin was distracted by his dimples. Which was weird since he usually wasn’t the one to be distracted in these types of matters that was related to business, but there was something oddly fascinating about the man, and he wanted to know what.

“--And for the end of October, we can establish the sales increase for the following year─ Mr. Kim?”

Kangin furrowed his brows and cleared his throat. “Yes?”

“You haven’t spoken a word since I started, is something wrong?” The man asked with worried eyes.

“No, I’m just listening.” He inwardly lied, but he did listen though. “It seems that Mr. Choi has his plans set out for the time being.”

“Ah, yes. He is a very organized man.”

“I bet he’s hard to deal with.” Kangin said in a blunt manner, earning a startled look from the other. He cleared his throat again, “I’m sorry; I really didn’t mean that in an offensive manner, it just came out. I apologize─” Kangin kept blurting out words due to his flustered state. He was about to bow until he heard a slight chuckle from the other that ended up into fits of laughter.

The assistant held his stomach while laughing and his laugh sounded very abnormal, but Kangin found it endearing. The burly man was stunned at the sudden reaction and just kept his gaze on the laughing man. “I’m sorry…” Leeteuk sighed after releasing a huge amount of tension from laughing. “It’s quite true to be honest. My boss is very hard to deal with, but I can manage.” He pulled of a smile, revealing his distracting dimples once again.

Kangin put on a small smile, “You’re not going to tell your boss about this right?”

The other chuckled. “Seeing that I agreed with you, I wouldn’t.” His smile never left his face. The air was suddenly quiet, and they seemed to notice it too. They looked at each other and something in Kangin lit up, but he found himself gently pushing the feeling out of the way. It felt like trouble coming his way.

A ring of a phone cut their moment. Leeteuk had dug his hand into his right pocket and looked at his phone’s screen. “May I?” he asked showing an apologetic smile.

“Of course.”

And he answered. “Yes Mr. Choi, I have the documents… I’ll be there in 20 minutes…. Yes… Yes… Alright.” He put the phone away from his ear and Kangin heard a small beep during the moment.

He faced the burly man and sent him another apologetic smile. “It seems that my boss needs me.”

“It’s alright, every boss always needs their assistant.” He joked, gaining another one of the man’s dimple smile.

“Thank you Mr. Kim. It’s a pleasure meeting with you.” He reached out his hand to him.

Kangin accepted it gladly, “Well at least someone says that it’s actually a pleasure.”

Leeteuk frowned at the comment. “Now why would you say that?”

“I’m not very interesting to converse with… A bore as you may call it.”

“Oh?” Leeteuk’s brow creased. “I don’t see it in you at all.” He smiled. “You’re very interesting Mr. Kim.”

Kangin flinched at the compliment. “No…” he told himself. “It always starts like this.”

The burly man retreated his arm and put on a stern face as he looked at him. “I’m not going to fall for that anymore.”

“It seems that this meeting has come to an end.” He spoke, but in a harsher tone. Leeteuk tilted his head, noticing the change of expression. “I’ll have my assistant you out.” He started to walk away from him.

“O-Okay…” Leeteuk seemed disturbed, no, he was disturbed by the man’s change of attitude. “Mr. Kim, may I ask a question?”

Kangin stopped in the middle of the doorway. “That is?”

“Are you sure you’re alright? I know it’s none of my concern but you seem a bit off unlike a moment ago…” Kangin could tell that he was worried.

“You’re quite sharp… And kind at that matter. But yes, you don’t need to be concerned.” He said lastly as he walked out of the room and to his assistant, quietly nagging him for not checking the e-mail properly and requesting to Mr. Park down to his car.

He went back to the office and found himself staring at the city view. His thoughts wandered on the meeting with the assistant who had the most charming dimple, but shoved it out of the way. He knew better, he wasn’t going to get himself into something that was going to end the same way as his past… Especially since he was a man and he didn’t even know the other’s preferences…

No. He was never going to get himself into another pointless relationship. Never again.

Another knock came through his door, revealing a Lee Hyukjae gummy smile. “Hi. Uhh.. Okay. I’m really sorry for not checking the e-mails properly…”

“It’s okay Hyuk, I’m not firing you… I already tried.”

He smirked in return. “Because you looove me.”

The older sighed again and set his palm on his forehead. “No, I just don’t want to hire a new ignorant assistant who asks me questions every 5 minutes. Get back to work.”

“Okay, okay… Oh! By the way, Mr. Park said that Mr. Choi will set-up another meeting, he said to bring me along.”

Kangin’s head shot up, if Choi is requesting his assistant to come along, then his own assistant will be coming too. He wanted to smile, but soon realized the disappointment. “It’s just a meeting.” He told himself as he ran his fingers through his hair. “you will not get interested.” He kept slapping himself mentally.

“Alright, tell them to send their schedules for the next week so we can arrange it.” He lowered his head into his palms once again as he heard his assistant close the door, leaving him alone once again.

Surely there was something more in his life than series of boring cycles and bad relationships.


A/N: Sorry if there's any typos, I'm sleepy lol. Please do leave a comment, subscribe and upvote! I would really appreciate it ;___; (++ it makes me motivated to write)

I'll update sooon~