Empty Promises

Never Have I Ever
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: I know the first chapters are revolving more around Junhoe in comparison to Mino but they are both the main leads, Mino's bigger role comes into the fic soon.)

 

 

 Areum was at school half an hour earlier than usual for some unknown reason. She never woke up to a school day with such enthusiasm, except if it was literature in first period or in today’s case, a lovely Monday morning. 

 

She even packed a lunch box for Mino. 

 

“It should be enough to encourage him,” Areum muttered under her breath gripping more tightly onto the paper bag. 

 

Every Monday morning student council meetings were held and as class president, it was mandatory. Junhoe saw her waiting at the school gates from the student representative office’s window.

 

What is she doing here so early?

 

“Junhoe, focus!” Hanbin scolded and looked out the window to see what was so interesting. Junhoe likes her.  

 

***

 

Areum began humming a tune as she got bored of waiting whilst more and more students came through the gates. She checked her watch, 8:47. 

 

“There’s still 13 minutes. He’s never late,” she mumbled to herself when Mina punched her shoulder, “OW!” 

 

Mina laughed heartedly and hugged her best friend, “What are you even doing standing here by yourself? Waiting for someone? Junhoe?” 

 

“No, Mino oppa,” Areum replied checking her watch again. 

 

“I knew it… But no offence, he’s actually incredibly lucky to even have your support for someone like him,” Mina sighed eyeing the paper bag in Areum’s hand. “You only make me lunch on my birthday,” she pouted and laid her head on Areum’s shoulder. 

 

Areum laughed and pat Mina’s head softly. “It’s his first day here. He hates it but I know he’ll try for his mom.” 

 

“Hmm, I still don’t really have a good impression of him after all these years,” she mumbled. 

 

Mina had encountered him on a couple of occasions but he’d either have bruises and cuts on him or he was cussing with his lousy group of friends or even this one time he was openly making out with a girl on the bus clearly drunk in his school uniform. It was ghastly watching the couple throw themselves on each other in public. She shuddered at those memories. 

 

“You should go to class,” she urged Areum but she obviously didn’t listen and waved her off, “well, don’t wait out here too long. See you in class.”

 

***

 

It was lunch and Areum still had no idea where Mino was. She had called him a couple of times only to be continually asked to leave a message after the tone. Was he even at school? 

 

“Can I…?” Mina grinned at her slyly as her hands inched towards the paper bag. 

 

Areum hugged it protectively, “Eat your own lunch. It’s omu rice, you can’t eat egg.” 

 

She slumped onto Areum and whined, “Areum ah… I want to eat your pasta.” 

 

“You can cook?” Junhoe sat down across from them and without asking snatched the paper bag. 

 

“Give it back,” Mina reprimanded as she reached over trying to take it back but he took the lunch box out. 

 

Areum sighed in defeat and pulled Mina down back on her seat, “It’s okay, he can just have it.” 

 

Junhoe cooed and marvelled at the omu rice with the glistening streaks of ketchup on it. “He shouted in delight and winked at her before digging in. Mina giggled at his actions and nudged Areum who was still sulking about Mino. 

 

“He’s a keeper,” she whispered earning a glare from her. 

 

“By the way,” Junhoe suddenly glowered at Areum, “why haven’t you been replying to my messages? I even called you quite a few times yesterday. We need to go on those dates.” 

 

Areum averted her gaze and shrugged, “I was busy.” 

 

“You promised,” he reminded her as he chewed. 

 

Mino broke his promises… She does not want to be like him. “Okay, a promise is a promise. I’ll go on a date with you anytime, any day.” 

 

Junhoe seemed content with the answer as he scooped every grain of rice savouring the flavour. “How about today?” 

 

“Today?” she gulped as her hands immediately started sweating. Mina pat her hand under the table to comfort her friend. 

 

“Junhoe, I know you’re a nice guy but if you do anything weird to her I’ll break your neck,” Mina warned and he laughed at her before raising his hands in surrender. 

 

Mina nodded and whispered in Areum’s ear that she should not hold back before skipping off to the library leaving them alone - that’s totally what Areum was looking forward to. Being alone with Junhoe…

 

Junhoe slipped to the other side and wrapped an arm around her disregarding her sudden stiffness at the physical contact. “And to answer your question Areum, yes. We are dating today. Right now to be exact.”

 

“What?” she blurted furrowing her brows, “now?”

 

“Yeah until the day ends…” he smirked and leaned down daringly to kiss her cheek when he yelped in pain. Mina was back and she hit him in the back of his head. 

 

“Junhoe!” she yelled and he rubbed the back of his head wincing, “Luckily I left my bag here. Watch it boy.” 

 

He only sighed and let go of her before smiling looking slightly abashed, “Okay maybe I’m rushing it a little. I apologise.” 

 

He’d momentarily forgotten about Areum’s discomfort towards dating and he promised that he wouldn’t try anything. 

 

“I wonder why…” he mumbled inaudibly. 

 

“Junhoe, I don’t want anyone to know we’re going on these dates, especially Mino oppa. Can we keep them private?” she asked of him and then bit her lip. God that habit of hers got him wavering. 

 

“Sure bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter