nine

Bittersweet nightmares

When he returned to his room, the demon was going through the desk’s drawers. He didn’t as much as look at him when he entered, and he certainly didn’t seem to be in a hurry to stop what he was doing. Jungkook crossed his arms on his chest. There was nothing particularly incriminating in his room, but it still felt very uncomfortable having someone looking at all of his stuff.

“Are you secretly a romantic?” wondered the demon as he pulled out a book that couldn’t be more obviously a romance novel. His voice was mocking, and his words accompanied by a truly unpleasant smirk.

“None of your business.” responded Jungkook, already wondering whether the demon could somehow use this information against him. After a few seconds of consideration, he determined that was pretty much impossible. The only thing he could do with it was make fun of him, which was – admittedly - extremely annoying but not exactly deadly.

“You also like myths and legends, I see.” said the demon, pulling another book out of the drawer and positioning it on top of the first one.

Jungkook decided that the best response to that was; “We don’t have time for this.” He still had to get rid of his supplies and that wasn’t exactly an easy deed. Especially not when the National Security could walk in at any second. Obviously, he would go ahead with it regardless from what the demon was doing if the demon in question wasn’t directly in his way. Jungkook would have to literally press himself against him in order to reach the drawer he kept his supplies in. He would quite honestly rather take a swim with the sharks.

“You told me you don’t want my help.” responded the demon nonchalantly. “So I do have time for this. You on the other hand...” He curled his lips into a small smile, and any doubts Jungkook might have had about the demon targeting his desk strictly because he knew that was where Jungkook kept his supplies, disappeared.

He pressed his lips into a thin line, wondering whether asking the demon to move away was more likely to have positive consequences or negative ones. He didn’t need very long to determine the answer was probably the latter – he suspected it would almost definitely result in the demon moving so he’ll be even more in the way, all while mocking him with his condescending smirks and amused words.

Jungkook took a deep breath before he reached behind his shirt and pulled out the key to the drawer. The demon wasn’t looking directly at him, but Jungkook had a feeling he was nevertheless observing him with a corner of his eye – at least if the fact that his smirk somehow became even more obnoxious than it was a moment before was any indication.

He crouched next to the desk and reached towards the drawer, unlocking it as quickly as possible. He had been, unfortunately, right about having to press his side against the demon’s leg to get close enough. He tried to control his breathing as he opened the drawer and hastily collected the supplies. It wasn’t as easy as he would like it to be, especially not since he knew the demon was now certainly looking at him, most likely enjoying the distress he had caused.

He felt an immense sense of relief once he held all of the supplies in his hands and could finally stood up and moved away. The demon was observing him with a highly amused expression on his face. “You know…” he said slowly “…I would have moved out of the way if you asked nicely.”

Jungkook readjusted his hold on one of the candles that almost slipped from his hand. “That is a lie.” he said, entirely convinced in the truthfulness of his statement.

The demon responded with a smirk. “Is it?” he wondered innocently before he closed the drawer he had finished going through and opened the one bellow it. He clearly didn’t care enough to put the books he had left on the desk back in their place.

Jungkook took a deep breath, trying not to be annoyed by that. “Clean this up before I come back.” he said, even though he didn’t really believe the demon was going to listen to him. He would do it himself if V wasn’t in the way and the time wasn’t running out. But the reality of the situation was that he had to move and he had to move fast.

He stuffed his supplies into a backpack and hastily walked over to the door. He took one final glance at the demon – who was now looking at a torn birthday card – before he stepped out of the room, carefully closing the door behind him.

He knew it wasn’t unusual to walk around with a backpack – a lot of students took their work with them to the library – but he still felt someone was going to stop him at any moment. The last time he had to get rid of his supplies, he was lucky enough to manage to leave the campus before the National Security arrived. This time he wasn’t as fortunate so he had to find another way to destroy the evidence.

He couldn’t get rid of the supplies on campus, which meant he had to find someone who could take them off the school grounds or otherwise destroy them. His only two options unfortunately happened to be the demon and Yoongi. He certainly didn’t trust any of them, but of the two, Yoongi was the one who actually had something to lose. It all depended on his will to stay at the academy being stronger than his wish to screw Jungkook over.

Thankfully, he didn’t have to go far to find his room - he just hoped he was there and that he was alone. It was true that he’d promised to take care of the traces of magic left on Namjoon’s door only around 10 minutes ago, but Jungkook knew how fast Yoongi worked - it certainly wasn’t unbelievable for him to be already back in his room.

Jungkook took a deep breath once he stood in front of his door, and reluctantly knocked. His wish fortunately came true - Yoongi opened almost immediately, giving him an extremely unimpressed look as he stepped aside to let him in.

It was obvious that he had a pretty good idea what this was about, and it certainly didn’t make him happy. At least if his arms crossed on his chest and a frown on his face were any indication. “I didn’t know I was demoted to your personal maid.” he said in a same nonchalant voice he usually used.

“Do you have a better idea?” asked Jungkook as calmly as he could, carefully placing his backpack on the floor. He made sure to stand as far away from Yoongi as possible. He hated being near him almost as much as he hated having to ask him for help, but he sadly had no better options at this point.

Yoongi crouched down next to the backpack, carefully opened it and looked inside. Then he raised it in the air and put it on the table behind him. This was a sure sign he was going to help, and Jungkook thanked him with a curt nod before he hastily walked over to the door. He was almost out of the room when Yoongi spoke again. “This wouldn’t be necessary if you didn’t break your part of the deal.” he said.

Jungkook paused for a moment, wondering what to say, before he opted for the truth. “I summoned the demon specifically so I could keep my part of the deal.” he said. He waited for a second or two to see whether Yoongi was going to say anything, and when he didn’t, stepped out of the room and carefully closed the door behind him.

He knew he was out of time the moment he turned his head towards the direction of his room – the door was wide open, and the shadows told him someone was inside. He took a deep breath, willing his heart to slow down. It was going to be okay – he got rid of all traces of magic, and even if the demon was still in the room, no one will know he was a demon and not one of his relatives. Not even higher demons could recognize other higher demons.

He took another deep breath before he stopped in front of the opened door. There were two women inside – one was going through his closet while the other investigated the bookcase. He had absolutely no trouble figuring out which one was a demon. He could see the horns hiding between the strands of red hair, yellow skin and long sharp nails that reminded him of talons. As every other time he was close to a lower or a medium demon, he felt his stomach turn the moment he laid his eyes on her, and he had to put every ounce of energy into staying on his feet.

The woman who was going through his closet – the human one – noticed him, and gave him a polite smile. “Kim Eunjae?” she asked.

Jungkook forced himself to speak. “Yes?” he said uncertainly, finally stepping into the room. “What is this about?”

The woman gave him another polite smile. “We’re from the National Security.” she explained before she pointed towards the other side of the room.  “Stand by the window please.” she said.

Jungkook followed her instructions and positioned himself in front of the window, unsuccessfully trying to control his breathing. He had gone through this once before - after the last time he had summoned the demon - and it was safe to say this time around wasn’t any easier. He was sick to his stomach, and his anxiety was made worse by the fact that there was a demon he could barely control and who definitely planned to sabotage him on the loose.

All of that clearly had to have shown on his face because the demon-woman suddenly turned towards him. He couldn’t help noticing her eyes were completely white and her lips almost nonexistent. “Is something wrong? You look pale.” she asked in a voice that implied she suspected he was hiding something.

Jungkook took a deep breath, trying to think of a decent explanation. He could have probably came up with something decent if he had a bit more time, but the reality of the situation was that any hesitation on his part would make him seem even more suspicious. That is why he said the first thing that came to his mind and had a potential to explain his behavior in a somewhat believable way. “Well… It’s just… I heard rumors…” he said, trying to sound as insecure as possible.

The demon-woman slowly narrowed her eyes. “Rumors? What kind of rumors?” she asked in a tone that implied she certainly didn’t believe him.

Jungkook did his best to seem a bit embarrassed by what he was about to say. “That you use demons.” he murmured. He knew that the National Security definitely did use demons – he had the prof literally in front of him after all – but this wasn’t generally known to the public. It was top secret for the purposes of preventing mass panic, and so well hidden that the only people who believed in it were conspiracy theorists.

The demon-woman responded by giving him a toothy smile. “You shouldn’t believe everything you hear.” she said before she finally turned away from him and continued to inspect the bookcase.

Jungkook barely managed to stop himself from sighing in relief. He carefully leaned back against the window sill, trying to take deep steady breaths. He was feeling so sick that he needed to put every ounce of energy into staying upright.

“Most rumors are rooted in truth.” he said quietly.

The demon-woman gave him another toothy smile. “I suppose that’s true.” she said.

The next five minutes passed in silence. Jungkook turned around and looked through the window as soon as the demon-woman stopped talking to him - he wasn’t sure why but somehow he felt less sick when she wasn’t in his direct line of sight.

“Alright that is all.” finally said the woman that had been going through his closet. “Have a nice day Mr. Kim.”

“You too.” he said, waiting until both women exited his room before closing the door after them and locking it. He stood there for a moment or two before he slowly walked over to his bed and sat on it, burying his head in his hands and doing his best to take slow steady breaths. He would love to believe this was over, but the National Security clearly had some unexpected tricks up its pocket and there was a demon who would probably love nothing more than to make his life into a living hell on the lose. Not to mention he had been behaving incredibly suspicious during the search – it’s true that it seemed that they believed his excuse, but he also knew that the agents were trained to not let on what they were actually thinking. It was entirely possible that he had been noted as someone they planned to keep a close eye on.

“Having a nervous breakdown?”

Jungkook flinched in surprise and hastily looked up. He didn’t hear the demon enter the room, but there he was, leisurely leaning against the table and observing him with his usual smirk on his face. He seemed like he was enjoying himself, and Jungkook couldn’t help worrying that he had managed to do something that had a potential of getting him caught.

“Where were you?” he asked cautiously, even though he truly doubted the demon was going to give him a sincere answer.

His doubts turned out to be quite well-founded - the demon’s only response was a wide smile and a nonchalant; “Around.”

Jungkook really wanted to ask him to be a bit more specific, but he knew it was most likely pointless which is why he cleverly decided to keep his mouth shut. Burying his head back in his hands, he tried to focus on his breathing. He knew he won’t be able to dismiss the demon for at least a month, and the thought alone managed to fill him with panic. There was simply no way he could control the demon for so long - not to mention he was going to have to live with him.

It probably took at least five minutes before he finally somehow calmed down. When he raised his head, the demon was observing him with a tilted head and an unusual expression on his face that morphed back into amusement before Jungkook was actually able to tell what it was.

“So…” said the demon “Who is P.J.?” He raised a torn birthday card into the air, pointing on the signature at the bottom of it. Jungkook absently remembered that the demon had been holding the card right before Jungkook had left the room to get rid of his supplies.

At this point Jungkook truly wanted to slam his head against the wall. He had completely forgotten about the signature on the card. It admittedly wasn’t a big deal – it was just the initials – but in his current emotional state it felt as if the demon somehow acquired a piece of evidence that could help him guess his identity.

Jungkook took a deep breath, forcing himself to think about this rationally. Those weren’t even his initials and there was nothing on the card that could even imply what kind of relation the person who had send it had to him. He was definitely safe.

“None of your business.” he murmured, knowing quite well that the demon most likely noticed his emotional breakdown, and was highly amused by it. Jungkook truly doubted he was going to survive the next month.