ten

Bittersweet nightmares

Jungkook didn’t know how long he was sitting on the bed with his head in his hands, but it probably couldn’t have been more than a few minutes. He would most likely stay in that position far longer if he didn’t hear the sound of the window opening.

He slowly raised his head and glanced towards the demon – who was looking out of the now opened window with a thoughtful expression on his face, slowly tapping his fingers on the window-sill. “What are you doing?” wondered Jungkook cautiously. He couldn’t think of a way the demon’s current behavior could get him in trouble, but he was somehow still convinced that his motivation for opening the window was far from good.

“Getting some fresh air.” was the demon’s nonchalant response. He accompanied his words with an amused smirk and a look that made Jungkook feel as a mouse trapped in the cat’s claws.

Once the demon finally got bored of staring at him, he let his eyes travel across the room, eventually stopping on the closet in the corner. Jungkook observed how he slightly tilted his head, seemingly contemplating something. Then – before Jungkook could even register what he was doing - he walked over to the closet in question, and slowly pulled its door open.

Jungkook truly didn’t feel particularly comfortable repeating himself since the demon somehow always managed to call him out on it, but he nevertheless couldn’t resist asking; “What are you doing?” He posed a question even though he knew it was probably pointless. He didn’t have much hope the demon was going to give him a straight reply.

The demon responded by turning towards him, his right hand still on the closet’s door, and curling his lips into a small smile. “The considerate thing.” he said “I’m getting to know my roommate.”

Jungkook somehow didn’t find it hard to believe that he was telling the truth. He probably did want to get to know him better – and then use the gathered information to ruin his life. Now, when they had no choice but to literally live together for at least a month, Jungkook had given him an endless opportunity to do just that. Sometimes he truly wished he could turn back the time.

“We’re not roommates.” he said, pausing for a second, before quickly adding; “And rifling through someone’s things is usually not the best way to get to know them.”

He really wasn’t enthusiastic about having to make chit-chat with the demon – he would much rather see both of them being silent and pretending the other didn’t exist during the time they were stuck together. Sadly, he happened to be well aware that would never fly with the demon – he enjoyed annoying him way too much, not to mention talking was the best way to gain information he could later use to thoroughly ruin Jungkook’s life. It would be great if he could deal with the demon by ignoring him, but he knew expecting to pull that off for a whole month was highly unrealistic. He pretty much had no other choice than to make conversation with him and make sure to think things through before saying them out loud, possibly trying to keep his attention away from important stuff.

The demon responded with a smirk. “Yes, emphasize ‘usually’.” he said. “I believe this is the perfect way to get to know you.” The moment words left his tongue, he nonchalantly turned around and started to sort through Jungkook’s clothes, pausing for a second or two when he found an item that interested him, and then continued.

Jungkook had a feeling he knew exactly what the demon meant by that, but he still felt the need to ask; “Why?”

The demon  raised an eyebrow at him. “Really now?” he asked in an amused voice. “If I asked you what your favorite color is, would you tell me?” Jungkook opened his mouth to answer, but the question had to have been rhetorical because the demon continued before he could utter a single word. “The answer is no. But look…” He pointed at the opened closet in an exaggerated gesture. “All I have to do is open your closet, and I can clearly see that your favorite color is black.”

Jungkook highly doubted that the demon was interested in his favorite color - exploiting this information to harm him was after all pretty much impossible. “Why would you even want to know my favorite color?” he wondered carefully.

“Because I’m bored and you’re the only entertainment here.” replied the demon, nonchalantly shrugging his shoulders.

 

In the next half an hour, the demon searched through his entire room, making sarcastic comments as he pulled things out of the drawers and off the shelves. Jungkook found himself wondering whether he would listen if he told him to stop, but soon concluded there was no point in trying. Even if he could somehow get him to stop now, there was no guarantee that he won’t immediately continue once Jungkook left the room. It was probably better he searched his stuff while Jungkook was there to supervise him – even if he did have to listen to some pretty unpleasant comments.

The last piece of furniture the demon decided to inspect was the bookcase. He took a good look at it before he grabbed one of the few books that seemed to be completely untouched. He found it on the bottom shelf, which was the place designated to the reading material Jungkook had absolutely no interest in. “How To Make Friends.” read the demon slowly, his voice full of amusement. He glanced in Jungkook’s direction with a mischievous glint in his eyes before he opened the book on the first page. “From P.J.” His lips formed a small smile. “Whoever this P.J. person is, he certainly seems to know you well.”

Jungkook had to put quite a lot of energy into not snatching the book straight out of the demon’s hands. He would love to ignore the remarks, but he had an unpleasant feeling he’d never hear the end of it if he did. Which was the main reason he decided that the safest option was to return the question with a question; “Why do you think I have no friends?”

The demon raised his eyebrow and slowly leaned forward, the expression on his face implying he found Jungkook’s question highly entertaining. “Do you?” he asked in mocked curiosity.

For a moment Jungkook was tempted to lie, but he thankfully caught himself before he could say anything – taking his previous experiences into consideration, he was quite sure the demon would be able to tell he wasn’t being sincere. After a second or two of pondering, he decided it was most likely best to tell the truth. The demon probably couldn’t use it against him, not as long as he was careful. “This is not a good place to make friends.” He said finally.

The demon slightly tilted his head, giving him a weirdly intense look before nonchalantly shrugging his shoulders. “Surprisingly, you have a point.” he said, putting the book he was still holding in his hands back in its place.

The next few minutes passed in silence. If Jungkook would have to guess why, he would say it was most likely because the demon was going through his school textbooks and was unable to find anything rude to say about them. Jungkook observed how his fingers traveled along the spines as he read the titles, and couldn’t help but be relieved at how slowly the demon was making his way towards the more interesting – and consequently more sarcastic-comments-worthy – material.

Jungkook truly had a lot of textbooks. There were the usual subjects one could find in school; math, physics, biology, chemistry, geography, history and economics, and then there were subjects that were a bit more unusual, such as; seven different languages, politics, law, rhetoric, computer science and acting. He obviously didn’t need all of these textbooks this year, but he generally preferred to be prepared in advance.

The demon spoke again only once he managed to make his way through all the school books. “Medical books.” he remarked, glancing at Jungkook with a raised eyebrow. Jungkook knew he probably wanted some kind of a reaction – one that could help him figure out the reason those books were on his shelf - and he tried very hard not to give it to him. He wasn’t sure whether he was successful, but the demon eventually shrugged his shoulders and turned away.

After that, the only shelf left for the demon to inspect, was the upper shelf. Jungkook used it to store books he didn’t feel particularly comfortable having on display, which was the reason he had put them in boxes. They looked a bit unusual considering how orderly the rest of his room was, but he didn’t really care – the important thing was that those books were out of sight.

The demon gave him an amused smile before he carefully pulled the first box off the shelf. Jungkook suspected he chose to inspect the bookcase from the bottom shelf up mainly because he could tell that Jungkook wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about the prospect of anyone seeing the content of the boxes. In his mind, there was probably nothing more enjoyable than torturing him by building the anticipation.

The demon was eerily quiet while he searched the boxes, and Jungkook highly doubted that the reason for that was that he had nothing to say. It was much more likely he wanted to throw everything at him at once.

“You have just about every book on demonology that is not illegal.” concluded the demon once he finally pushed the last box back into its place. “Demonology and romance novels.” He knocked on the first box as he curled his lips into a particularly amused smirk. Jungkook had a feeling that he was about to say something extremely unpleasant. “Is there a connection?”

At first, Jungkook wasn’t completely sure what the demon meant – of course there was a connection; he hid both genres out of sight because he would rather see if people didn’t know he owned them. The reason for that was obvious when it came to books about demons (especially with Namjoon already suspecting him). It was perhaps a bit less obvious with romance novels. Jungkook wasn’t particularly embarrassed about enjoying them, but he still kept this information locked, mostly because he really didn’t want to deal with people’s tasteless jokes that would undoubtedly follow if the knowledge became public.

But this was clearly not what the demon meant; the highly amused expression on his face – one that somehow became even more amused when he saw Jungkook’s confusion – was a good enough proof of that.

“You’re actually quite innocent, aren’t you?” wondered the demon, his voice implying he found the situation highly entertaining. He winked at him, and that was somehow enough for Jungkook to finally figure out exactly what the demon had meant. He fixed his eyes on to the floor as he felt his cheeks burning, suddenly overcame by a strange desire the ground would open and swallow him. Or that a meteor smashed through the roof and killed him on the spot - he wasn’t picky, especially not in the given moment.

He tried to tell himself this was not a big deal and that he had nothing to be embarrassed about – which was the truth - but it did nothing to help his mortification. He actually needed more than a minute to calm down enough to be able to raise his head. The demon was looking at him with a mischievous glint in his eyes, and Jungkook swallowed. He suddenly felt a strong urge to slam his head into the wall – he had, after all, just showed the demon exactly what to say to get a reaction out of him. This was definitely going to be a hellish month.

After that he decided it was time to at least attempt to ignore the demon. He had a lot of school work to do, so he summoned the small portion of pride he had left and walked past the demon – who was, of course, observing him with amusement. He sat at his desk, turning on the laptop. After a moment of consideration, he decided to start with the psychology essay that was due to the next week. He opened a new document while trying to ignore the demon that now moved to his bed – Jungkook suspected because the position gave him a perfect view of his screen. He pressed his lips together before he put his fingers on the keyboard, doing his best to not be bothered by the demon’s presence.

 

To his surprise the demon actually let him work without disturbing him with any inappropriate comments. The next few hours passed in relative silence, and Jungkook became so absorbed in the essay that he forgot the demon was even there - which was why he almost fell off his chair when he heard him snicker. Once he managed to regain his balance, he slowly turned around only to see him leisurely sitting on the bed with a romance novel in his hand. The amused smile on his lips left no doubt to whether or not he saw Jungkook almost made an unfortunate contact with the ground.

“You know…” said the demon, carefully putting the book he had been holding on the bed beside him. “…I really wonder how you are still alive. Considering your lack of coordination, I really wouldn’t be surprised if you managed to stumble over nothing and break your neck.”

Jungkook opened his mouth to reply, realizing he was about to tell a lie and closing it, than opening it again. “You surprised me.” he said finally, glancing at the floor in mild embarrassment. Thankfully, he didn’t need long to realize what he was doing, and he quickly looked back up and directly at the demon. He had to stop showing his weaknesses to the enemy, especially if he didn’t want to suffer a nervous breakdown anytime in the near future, the possibility of which unfortunately seemed quite high.

The demon responded with an amused smile. Then he picked the book back up and carefully opened it on a seemingly random page. “This is actually pretty entertaining.” he said.

Jungkook glanced at the book, realizing only now that the demon was actually reading it. Which wasn’t really all that surprising when he thought about it – it was probably easier for him to make fun of Jungkook if he knew the contents of the books in details. He also seemed to be the kind of person who would put himself through something unpleasant just to be able to better mock him.

“I don’t like the main character. She is way too boring.” commented the demon, nonchalantly turning the page. Jungkook just stared at him, waiting for a jab he knew was coming sooner rather than later. There was no way the demon wanted to have a literature discussion – not if it didn’t provide him with a chance to insult him.

“Who chooses to stay at home doing homework instead of going on an adventure with a cute boy?” wondered the demon without as much as glancing away from the book. He said it completely nonchalantly, but Jungkook was still quite convinced this was meant to be a jab.

“Is this your way of calling me boring?” he asked cautiously, not really sure why he decided to speak up. He could just ignore the demon, pretend he didn’t notice the meaning behind his words. It would be much easier – and safer – to keep quiet instead of asking stupid questions, and possibly make the demon think he actually cared.

This time the demon did look at him – with an amused expression on his face and a raised eyebrow. “Oh?” he said. “And here I was, thinking we might actually be able to have a civilized conversation.” He curled his lips into a small smile, closing the book before slowly leaning forward, towards where Jungkook was sitting at his desk. “It doesn’t work if you assume everything I say is supposed to offend you.” He said confidentially. Then he leaned back and nonchalantly crossed his hands on his chest. “You summoned a demon.” he said. “I wouldn’t call that boring. Suicidal yes, but not boring.”

Jungkook just stared at him, almost certain that the demon was bluffing. Maybe this was his new way of messing with him – imply he had an unlikable quality and then pretend that wasn’t the intention at all.

After a second or two, Jungkook decided that the best course of action at this point was to just ignore him. He turned back towards his computer, trying to focus on his work. He was almost done with the essay – he only needed around half an hour to finish and then he could finally take a nap. That is if he will be able to convince the demon to get off his bed. Only thinking about having to deal with that made him feel incredibly tired.

He somehow managed to focus despite the sound of the demon turning the pages in the background, and he ended up finishing even sooner than he expected. He leaned back on his chair, and stretched his tense muscles.

“Finished?” asked the demon. Jungkook turned around and looked at him. He was sitting in exactly the same position as before, just that the book was now closed and lying next to him on the bed.

Jungkook knew it was probably a bad idea to ask the demon anything – especially since there was no guarantee he was going to answer sincerely – but he couldn’t ignore his curiosity. “Did you actually read the book this fast?” he wondered cautiously. He knew demons were physically superior to humans but he had no idea whether it was the same with their mental capabilities. He sincerely hoped not.

The demon curled his lips into a smirk, probably knowing exactly what Jungkook was worried about. “I’m a fast reader.” he said nonchalantly, and Jungkook barely managed to refrain himself from asking;’ Just you?’ He determined it was probably better to let that go – for now at least.

He slowly stood up and turned towards the demon, who gave him an expecting look. It was quite obvious that he knew exactly what Jungkook wanted, and that he certainly didn’t plan to make it easy for him. Jungkook let out a defeated sigh. “Can you please go sit somewhere else?” he asked as politely as possible, even though he highly doubted that was going to do anything to help.

He, of course, turned out to be right. “I don’t know.” responded the demon, slowly curling his lips into a smile. “This bed is quite comfortable.” he paused for a second, and then added: “It’s also big enough for both of us.” With an amused smirk on his lips, he patted the space next to him. He was looking at Jungkook in a way that made it quite clear his words were meant as a challenge.

Jungkook barely managed to refrain himself from taking a big step back. The plain thought of what the demon was implying sent chills down his spine, and he suddenly felt his heart in his throat. He could barely manage being near him when he was awake – there was no way he would ever be able to fall asleep if the demon was lying on the same bed.

It was quite obvious that the demon was planning to torture him, and as much as Jungkook hated it, he knew he won’t get anywhere by arguing. Not if he couldn’t use logic against him, and he couldn’t because the demon was unfortunately right about the bed being big enough for both of them. It was a king sized bed – one of the benefits you received by living in the A dorms, besides your own bathroom, an additional bookcase and closet space, a bigger-than-average room and no roommates. At this point he could either try to bargain – which would, with out a doubt, posed as a great source of entertainment for the demon – or go with it and pretend it didn’t bother him – which probably wouldn’t work because the demon could read him as easily as an open book, so this option would probably be highly entertaining for him as well.

For a moment or two they just stared at each other, Jungkook’s thoughts racing. He had nothing to bargain with, and he was way too tired to think of something good, even though he certainly tried. More seconds passed, more sure it seemed that he’ll have to share the bed with the demon. It was definitely a scary thought, and he did his best to convince himself it was not such a big deal. It was a large bed – they wouldn’t touch, they wouldn’t be even anywhere close to each other. He already made peace with having to live in the same space with the demon, why not share the same bed as well?

He took a deep breath, before muttering a quiet; “Fine.” The demon responded with a raised eyebrow and an amused smile. One side of the bed was pushed against the wall - Jungkook felt the demon’s eyes on him as he climbed on the bed and carefully crawled passed him. He slipped under the covers, positioning himself with his back against the wall. He wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about the demon being able to see his face, but he was somehow even less enthusiastic about turning his back to him. He knew it was pointless, but it made him feel safer and that was all that mattered. He closed his eyes, trying to get his tense muscles to relax. He truly hoped he would be able to get used to this.