Chapter 3

Unexpected

"This is going to sting a bit". 

"Oh my gosh! OUCH OUCH". Yuri leaned away from the hand that was tending to the gash on her face. 

"Wow you're such a baby. I just warned you that it's going to sting."

"And it did sting. A LOT! ANd I am not a baby." Yuri defended her action. 

"Really? Cause I couldn't tell the difference. Don't make too much noise, you'll wake up my unnie"

"Sorry." 

"It's okay...thank you for saving me unnie." Krystal said candidly, looking at the wounded girl in front of her.

"Don't worry about it. You thanked me enough times already. We're friends, and friends do things for each other." Yuri tried to smile, but flinched soon after since it was straining on the cut on her face. "But you owe me something." 

"As long as it's not anything completely out of the world."

"Its going to be a huge favor. Let me think." Yuri said pretending to think.

"What? what is it?" Krystal was wracking her brain trying to think of any outrageous request that Yuri might come up with. 

"Get me a milkshake from Umma+Appa's sometime." Yuri said with a cheeky grin. Umma+Appa was one of the local home-made ice-cream and milkshake parlours in the area. 

"My gosh, You almost gave me a scare. I was afraid you're going to ask for something I could never get you with my limited resources."

"Well that was the goal. So mission accomplished I'd say."

"I have actually never been to Umma+Appa before."

"Really? Well you're going to find out that you've been missing out for sure."

"I guess I will find out soon. So when do you want your milkshake?"

"Surprise me with it sometime. You'll find me usually in the garage around the corner, so come by and say hi sometime, you'll like my friends there."

"I think you're cool, so I am pretty sure I will like your friends." 

"OOOOooo you like me. You think I am cool, oooo you like me."

"Ewwww what! NOOO! You wish. You're soo full of yourself." Krystal said with fake agitation, pushing Yuri playfully. 

"Hahaha I know I am awesome. Anyway, I better get going, it's getting late, you should prolly go to sleep."

"Okay, Get home safe. GOod night." 

"Good night kiddo." 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuri was knee deep on work, just moving from car to car in her dad's old creeper almost all morning and afternoon. It seemed like everyone and their mothers in town decided to have broken cars today. Yuri was soo busy with work that she didn't even hear Kyungsoo come in until he actually grabbed and shook her leg. 

"Noona you should really tone down the work load today. Your head doesn't look too good." Yuri smiled listening to her friend being concerned about her wellbeing. The gash on her face was kind of hard to hide, so she had to give everyone a brief decription of what went down the night before to cause her injury. Her friends all agreed to beat up the guys if they ever showed their faces in town again. 

"Kyungsoo-ah I'll be just fine. I have been feeling better."

Kyungsoo shook his head even though Yuri couldn't see him from underneath the car. He knew firsthand how stubborn Yuri could be.

"okay well, if you say so. Also, the noonas from the other day are here for the lesson and Taeyeon noona is out on an in-road instal."

"Uhhh Ohhhh shoot! Okay I will be right there." 

Yuri slid out from underneath the car, dreading to see the bossy girl who seemed to have a particular distaste for her for reasons unknown. God knows why that girl keeps giving me these nasty looks. Rich girls and their nasty looks. Why did Taeyeon have to take that call right at this time. 

Yuri unwillingly got up, grabbed the her rag and walked into the bathroom to just wash up a bit. She didn't want to appear in front of the girl with grease all over her face and greasy hands. She tried to soap up and splash some water on her face to get as much of the oil out, she look up at herself at the mirror and realized the state of her jumpsuit...cleaning up really isn't going to do much here. Ahhh forget it. Why do I even care what she thinks of me. Since when did I start caring what rich socialites think of me. Whatever, it doesn't matter. We belong in different worlds, different point of views and she is entitled to hers. She doesn't have to like me to learn driving and let me work on their lawn. I shouldn't judge her Appa wouldn't have liked it. 

Yuri shook her head from the overflowing thoughts that seemed to occupy her regarding the blonde girl and proceeded to greet her. 

 

"Ummm noona will be right with you ma'am" Kyungsoo said nervously, trying to gauge from the expressionless face of the girl in front of him if she is just bored or dissatisfied or both. 

Jessica removed her sunglasses and took a good look around the place. It was quiet a big garage, bustling with people working hard, the smell of sweat, grease and cars all over the place. It is a very different atmosphere from what Jessica is used to in her everyday life. Everyone here was just busy working, occasionally yelling for tools and other things that just sounds foreign to Jessica. Being around her dad's office and his friends offices was just a completely different scene from what seemed like a cluster that was going on around her. 

 

 Before long Jessica was broken out of her trance by none other than Kwon Yuri. "Umm hello Miss. Sorry Taeyeon is out on an install today so I will be accompanying you for today's lesson."

'what happened to her face? Dont tell me she is involved in shady gang activities when she's not doing this and pretending to vbe an angel. I knew it. That looks bad. She must've really messed up. This stuff is scary.' 

"Miss?" 

Jessica cleared and put on her sunglasses "I think I will come back another time whenever Taeyeon is available."

"Oh umm okay. I feel bad that you are already here and having to go back without your lesson. I can assure you you're in good hands."

 "no i will come back another day. I dont feel comfortable with someone like you."

It was only after that comment something snapped in Yuri again. 'what's with this "someone like you" comment every time. I'm so done with this girl. If only she wasn't our client, I would give her a piece of my mind.'

"Look Miss I don't know what you think about me but I would seriously appreciate if you would keep your judgement about me out of the conversation. I respect your decision to wait for Taeyeon to be back and be your instructor. Let's just end it there." WIth that Yuri just her heels feeling the crashing pain on her head. 

"Urgggh" 

"Unnie? You okay?" 

Yuri banged her head on her desk three times before wincing and looking up at the voice at her doorway. 

"I'm fine Yoona. No worries really."

"Your head feeling worse? You shouldn't have worked so hard Yul. That cut is pretty good on your face. It's gonna leave a pretty nice scar though."

"Nah it's fine. I can still work. That girl just pisses me off with her rich girl aura."

"Aish don't let her ruin your mood buddy. Why does she bother you so much anyways?"

"I don't know, it's like everytime she talks to me she has this preconceived notion about who I am and what I am and it's just I hate when people start judging me without knowing me at all. I know, it's just how things are, and I should be used to it, but I just don't like it. I am find when people get to know me and don't like me, that's fine. However, when someone barely knows me and judges me, it really irks me." 

"Damn Yul, this girl really gets under you skin. Don't let her bother you so much. She's just another rich girl making assumptions about the kind of person you are baselessly. You have a lot going on and good people surrounding you, who adores you, you don't need hot, rich girls telling you how awesome you are."

"Haha she is hot alright. Too bad the face doesn't match the personality."

"Butterface."

Yuri doubled over in laughter when she saw the face Yoona made. "Oh my gosh! Please stop that face. Haha"

"this is my 'butterface' face." 

"Stop making faces and start on the new car Mr. Jang brought in Yoong. And hey, thanks for listening to my rant."

"Anytime unnie! You take it easy and don't work too hard. I am gonna go check out Mr. Jang's car." With that Yoona made her exit, leaving Yuri sitting in her office, looking out the little office-window that overlooks the garage. 

I am always grateful for my friends who are pretty much my family. Speaking of family, I should probably go visit HyukJun and see how he's feeling, maybe pick up some jjajangmyun from Jjajangmyun House on the way. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yuri come on in. Oh my my, what the hell happened to you face? Come inside. Let me take a good look."

Yuri smiled at the young woman and entered the house. She should've expected this. Her sister-in-law, Gyungmi was a nurse, and there was no way she was going to let the big gash on her face slide by without at least 'taking a good look' at it.

"Hyukkie come down. See who is here."

"Oh what's Hyuk upto? Let him rest if he is sleeping or something. I just wanted to drop off some food for him."

"Hyukkie was just watching something on the TV. He has been feeling a bit better today. I think the medication is finally kicking in. He should be good soon. I heard that you have been taking on some of his work that was scheduled this week. Thank you so much Yuri!" 

"Anytime unnie. Can't let him loose clients because of some stupid cold. So how's work going at the new hospital?"

"Pretty good actually! All the nurses are really accomodating and nice. They really helped me learn the ropes around the hospital. It's a very busy hospital and we are sort of under-staffed so sometimes I have to work back-to-back shifts-"

"And it . I don't know why anyone would make nurses and doctors do back-to-back shifts."

"Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do Hyuk." Gyungmi said turning to the man who had made his way downstairs during the conversation. "Clearly he is not happy about the recent back-to-back shifts I have been pulling at the hospital." the nurse said to Yuri pointing to Hyuk, who now was checking out the boxes of food that Yuri brought. 

"Of course I am unhappy. I am a patient too now, you know. And I miss you! Also, is that jjajangmyun for me?" Hyuk asked, trying to make his best puppy face. 

"Oh my gosh! Oppa please stop that disgusting face and yes it's for you."

"The whole box?"

"Yep the whole box. I got the jjambbong for unnie." 

"Oh wow nice! Thanks Yul! You are oppa's favorite dongsaeng."

"Umm...you only have one dongsaeg."

"But you know what I mean. Anyways, you want some drinks? we have beer, soda, and this new aloe drink."

"I will take the beer."

HyukJun got the beer and brought the food to the dining room for everyone to eat, that is when he saw Yuri's face clearly.

"Yul! What the hell happened to your face? I guess I didn't "

"Nothing Oppa."

"That doesn't look like nothing Yul. Is it the new boys in the gang from the other town?"
 

"What? No...these were some random guys, I didn't even recognize them. Also, you know those boys won't do anything to me. These were some amateurs, they were bothering this young girl at night and I just stepped in. It's really not that big of a deal. Plus it doesn't hurt or anything."

"Okay if you say so. I guess Gyungminnie can take a look at it for you."

"I was planning on doing that before you even said anything." Gyungmi rolled her eyes at her husband being protective over this little sister. Gyungmi grew up as an only child and she always thought Hyuk and Yuri's sibling bond was the sweetest thing ever. She would roll her eyes and for being over protective but she knew how much Yuri meant to HyukJun and Yuri was pretty much a sister to her as well. 

"Urgh it's not a big deal oppa"

"Yul stop complaining and let me see this cut." 

Yuri huffed at Hyuk trying to get her brother on her side, and getting out of this check up.

"You heard the lady Yul. DO as she says." 

"I am a lady too. So you should do as I say oppa."

'Hahah lady my . You are a little punk Yul. Go follow Gyungmi, and stop being a baby."

"I am not a baby."

"Alright you two stop. Yul come with me, Hyuk stop teasing her. You guys are both big babies so no more arguement on this topic."

"Whatever."

"I don't care." Came the replies from the Kwon siblings. 

Gyungmi shook her head at the childishness of the siblings. 

"It's not bad right now. You probably should've gone to a doctor and gotten some stitches, but it's healing well. So as long as you don't stress yourself too much, it's going to be fine. It's going to leave a scar though."
 

"I am so jealous Yul. You get to have a scar on the face. You know what they say about scars right?"

"No what do they say?"

"Chicks digs scars."

"What? Where did you get that from? This morning Yoona said something about me getting a scar. WHy is everyone so into this...I don't get it." 

"Okay you two stop bickering, I am putting on teh movie that Yuri and I wanted to watch for a while." 

"Alright, it's movie time!"