Chapter 1

Unexpected

Jessica woke up due to the loud noise of the motor right outside her window. Urghh what's that noise...they won't even let me sleep in peace nowadays. She reached out to the night-stand to retrieve her phone. The digital clock in the phone read 7:39 AM. Gosh! this is soo early. Why would anyone wake up and make motor noises outside someone's house at this time of the day? Jessica put the phone back on the night-stand and decided to turn a deaf ear to the noise but to no use. She even put the pillow over her head to block out the noise, but that didn't help much either. So she decided to take matters in her own hands. She pulled up the blinds to see exactly what or who was causing the offending noise so early in the morning on a weekend. Just as she suspected, it was the lawn mowing people. Are you kidding me? Don't these people have some other time to do this stuff. Jessica thought frowing. She opened the window and braced herself against the cold wind that rushed in immediately. She shivered a little as the cold air hit her face and looked down and saw girl with sunkissed skin, wearing tank -top and a black cap who is the cause of the offending noise. What kind of creature would wear a tank top outside in the middle of December? 

"Hey!" Jessica tried to make her voice prominent over the noise of the lawn-mower but to no avail. 

"Hey you! I am talking to you" Jessica tried raising her voice a bit more this time. But the girl in the tank top kept at it. You have got to be kidding me! I hate being ignored. 

Jessica put on her robe and slippers and went downstairs to have a chat with the lawn-mower girl. Not only did she wake me up, she also ignored me. 

"YAH!!" Jessica yelled as she opened the front door eliciting no response from the girl whatsoever. 

She stomped her way to the girl working hard and tapped hard on her back successfully scaring her and thus catching her attention. THe girl immediately stops the machine and yelps "YAH! What the-" and stops herself from cursing when she realizes that it's the daughter of her employer. To say that Yuri wasn't a bit taken aback at the sight in front of her would be an understatement. She found herself looking at a rather pretty brunette about her age, wrapped in a light blue fuzzy robe and pink fuzzy slippers. CuteThen she noticed the expression on the brunette's face and she did not look happy, somehow the shorter brunette managed to look intimidating even though Yuri was a good few inches taller than her. Did I mess up something? Yuri stood up straight expecting the other girl to say something, but the brunette just stared at her with an icy and blank expression as if waiting to hear an apology for something. After a few seconds of the staring contest Yuri decided to speak up. 

"G-Good morning Miss. Is there something I can do for you?" Yuri tried not to stutter.

Although Jessica tried not to show it, she was a big taken aback when the working girl turned out to face her. She had to squint her eyes to stare at the girl in front of her. Aish! Why are you soo tall, making me look up at the sun this early in the morning. I hate you! She wasn't really sure what she was expecting, but it was definitely not this dark haired, tan skinned girl. Her eyes did a quick once over. Damn! Is she an athelete or something? Jessica noticed the sweat that was starting to collect over her brows and right above her upper lip. Jessica stopped her gaze from going downward when realized that she was staring. She looked up to the sparkling pretty eyes looking at her questioningly and remembered why she was outside in the cold in the first place. 

"Yah! Why are you making such loud noises so early in the morning? Don't you know that people might be sleeping!! Just because you don't sleep doesn't mean that no one else has to sleep. You just woke me up from my sleep now I can't go back to sleep. My whole day is ruined. You stupid person!! How incosiderate?! I can't believe that Appa would hire someone like you!" 

At first Yuri was taken by surprise to react, but the last comment got to her. 

"What do you mean someone like me? I do my work well and diligently. Sorry that you're not a morning person and this is the only time I have in my day."

No one talks back to Jessica Jung Sooyeon like that. 

"What else do you do with the rest of your day anyways? You just ruined my day you idiot!"

"I have a busy schedule and I don't have to tell you what I do with my time. This is my alotted time to work here sorry that the sound is an inconvinience. Why dont you use some ear plugs or something?"

"Who are you to tell me what to do?"

"I wasn't telling you what to do. I was merely suggesting something. Anyways, I have to finish this quickly so please step away and let me do my job."

"Are you saying that I am coming in the way of you doing your work?"

"Well you kind of are doing exactly that. I'd have finished that whole section by now."

"How dare you talk to me like that! I pay you to do this." Jessica could see that comment struck a nerve in Yuri because the gentleness of Yuri's face kind of hardened. 

"Technically speaking, you don't pay me. Your parent do. So now if you would please step away and let me finish up. I really don't have all day for this." Yuri said as politely as she could manage and put on her ear phones and started the motor of the lawn-mower without sparing another glance at the shorter girl.

Jessica stood there stunned for a few seconds, before she made her way back inside the house. She is so used to getting her way, no one ever stood up to her like that before.

She went back to her room and closed the window. Yuri was still outside finishing up. How does she only wear a tank top in this weather? I really hate her. Must find out all about her now. 

 

Later that day:

 "Appa! Who is that girl that was working on the lawn this morning?"

"Oh Yuri? She's Hyuk Jun's sister. She's covering for him today since he got the flu. Why did Yuri need something?"

Jessica felt like her father had this fondness toward this Yuri girl. 

"What would she need?"

"I am not sure, that's why I was asking. Christmas is coming and her brother is sick, they don't have a lot in terms of financial assets-"

Huh! So she's just the type to earn pity points and leech of people. 

"I don't think she needs anything. But why did you ask her to come so early in the morning?"

"Oh when did she come?"

"Like around 7 o' clock this morning, I think. Might be earlier-"

"Aww man. Poor kid so hardworking and diligent."

"She woke me up from my sleep." 

"She has a tight schedule during the holiday times, especially with Hyuk Jun getting sick in the last moment.I am glad she even made time for us."

Jessica frowned when she heard the way her father talks about Yuri. 

"Hmm. Well she could try to be more considerate toward sleeping people and be more polite to her employer."

"Oh come on Sooyeon waking up a bit early never hurt anyone. And Yuri is a very polite girl. She's so nice to us." Mr. Jung said as he left the house leaving Jessica to her thoughts. 

The fact that her father seemed to be so fond of the dark haired, tanned lawn-mowing girl irked Jessica even more. 

Hmm looks like you have my father under your influence, you deceptive nymph. But it's not that easy to influence me. I am not naive, you can't fool me Yuri. 

 

 

"Noona?" 

"Coming". Yuri quickly stuffed with the rest of the rice and shrimp and made her way out of the little 'office' which is just an extended part of the garage. 

The young man handed her a wrench. "I'm so sorry for making you eat faster. But Mr. Seo just called me and said that he's going to come around this afternoon to pick this baby up and I am not quite sure which part of this piece I should take out, I have never worked on this model before."

"It's okay Kyungsoo, no need to be sorry. I was taking it slow so it's good that you called. Let's see what we have here." with that Yuri started to look through the work that has already been done and see what issue Kyungsoo was talking about. Luckily the problem was rather minor and she was able to fix it in less than half an hour, right before Mr. Seo came along. 

"So how's my car doing Yuri?"

"Good as new Mr. Seo.Want to test it?"

"No it's okay. I trust you." 

"Thank you sir"

"You've always done good work on all my cars Yuri."

"Well this one was mostly Kyungsoo, I only supervised."

"Oh I see. Thank you Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo bowed deeply, thanking the older man. Mr. Seo is one of their regular and old customer. He retired a few years ago, and now driving the latest and greatest cars is pretty much his hobby. Whenever one of his cars is acting out or is in need of tune up he comes to Kwon-Lee's garage. 

"Okay well here is what I owe you and I better get going."

Yuri took the money that was handed to her and immediately realized that it's a lot more than what she charged him for. 

"But Mr. Seo-" 

"No but's Yuri. I know how much I gave. It's in good gesture for all the years of good service from you and your dad." 

"Thank you so much Mr. Seo.We'll order dinner today then."

"You're always welcome Yuri. I know your father is not around but you have us Yuri. Always remember that." Mr. Seo smiled and patted the young girl on the back. 

Yuri smiled and nodded at the gesture. 

When Mr. Seo left she turned to everyone working and yelled "Listen up people! We are ordering out for dinner."

"Assa!!" came the loudest yelp from the tall doe eyed girl who was working quietly until now. "Unnie you're jjang!"

"Yoona please stop buttering me up and check the oil in that car." 

"Okay unnie. Order lots-"

"Yeah I know, two orders of jjajang myun for you." Yuri receited Yoona's order and smiled. Given her skinny stature, the amount Yoona can eat is quite an enigma. 

"You're the best unnie." Yoona said in a aegyo voice.

"Urggh. Stop that or I will cancel your order."

"Teehee. Off to work."

Yuri shook her head at the younger girl's antics, as she went around her other colleagues to get their order. 

Since Uncle Lee was on his annual vacation for a couple of months, Yuri was in charge of the garage. Even though she was young, she was very competent when it comes to fixing cars, since that's what she has been doing all her life. 

Ever since Yuri's father, the co-owner of the garage passed away during Yuri's early teenage years, Uncle Lee had taken Hyuk Jun and Yuri under his wings. Hyuk Jun was never really into cars but Yuri took after her father and started working in the garage in her free time from school. Now this is a primary source of her income to pay her college tuition. Uncle Lee offered many times to pay for school for Hyuk Jun and Yuri, but both siblings were too independant to accept such offer. Hyuk Jun opened up his own landscaping company since he was always into gardening and trees and Yuri decided to work part-time at the garage and go to school for business. She dreamed of increasing the business that her father and Uncle Lee once started. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was another lazy afternoon, Jessica had to finish up something for one of her classes in the university. I just don't understand the point of having homework in the holidays. It was some writing assignment, and she was still five pages away from the minimal page requirement. That's when she heard it. Vrooom Vrooom. URGHHH! You've got to be kidding me right now. Does grasses really grow that fast. 

Jessica got up from her desk and reeled up the blinds to see what and who was causing the same offending noise that woke her up earlier in the week. It was indeed the girl in the white tank top doing lawn work in her neighbor's huge expanse of garden. So it's not only Appa.This 'poor' girl has charmed the whole neighborhood to pay for her. She noticed how the glistening darker skin of the girl contrasted with the white tank top which was smudged with random spots of dirty green and black, her black hair pulled back in a pony tail and she's wearing a baseball cap. Then the noise stopped as Yuri turned off the machine and grabbed a giant sized scissor and started cutting the top of the bushes. At least the noise stopped. Just as Jessica was about to sit down and start writing the noise started again. What the-. "URGGGHH this is soo irritating!!" 

Yuri was listening to the newst Girls Generation song that came out last week on her phone while doing her job because the noise of the machine gives her a headache. For a moment she thought she heard something, but then shook it off. It wasn't untill she received the almost familiar hard tap on her back that she took out her earphones. Oh not again. What now. Yuri turned around to face the girl from the other morning and as expected she did not look happy. 

"Yah! How do you expect for people to get any work done with you're here making so much noise?

"Have you ever seen a quiet lawn-mower?"
 

"..."

"Then just leave me alone to do my work and put on earphones or something. At least I didn't show up earlier in the morning today." With that being said, Yuri just put on her ear phones and started working without paying heed to the fuming girl behind. 

URGHHH! How dare she blatantly ignore me like that. I will make sure this bites her back.

Aish!! these rich kids think that they can control everything. What's a little noise I don't understand.  

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Jessi, are you sure you can drive a stick?"

"Ouch! Tiff stop being so loud." Jessica glared at her best friend who was giving her a dubious look. 

"Okay fine...but the question still remains. Can you drive a stick?" Tiffany asked again at a lowering her voice a bit this time. 

It was supposed to be shopping day for the girls, so Tiffany's driver dropped her off to Jessica's house. They were supposed to go shopping together when Jessica realized that her father took the car that she was supposed to take and the only car left in the garage, was the shiny red sports car that she is forbidden from touching. However, a shopping trip cannot be canceled over such small interferences. So Jessica decided to drive the sports car. 

It wasn't until the two girls settled in the car when Jessica realized that there is another pedal for the clutch because the car is a stick shift. But that shouldn't stop them from shopping. 

"I mean how hard can it be?" Jessica questioned her friend. 

"I am not quite sure. I have never driven one before."

"It's okay, I think I got it."

"Okay Jessi. If you say so."

Jessica was either going too slow or too fast. 

They barely made it out to the highway when the car stared to shudder and hiccup and ended with a hissing noise, smoke coming out of the hood. 

"AAAAAAAH" both the girls screamed before they realized that the car has come to a complete stop, and nothing has happened. 

"Oh gosh! I am going to be in so much trouble for this."

"It's okay, I can just call my driver and ask him if he give me the number of the towing company and drop it off at this garage that he always takes our cars to."

"Okay yeah. Let's do that then."

 

The girls waited on the roadside with the car until a young man with a towing truck came to pick up the car. 
 
"Appa is not going to be happy with this. Oh well, I will just have to own up to what I did." Jessica said coolly. Her father was never the one to be strict or punish his daughters, he would usually find other creative ways to ensure that his children learnt the lesson. Mrs. Jung was usually the one who would yell at her daughters for making wrong life-decisions, however, Mrs. Jung was currently out of town for a convention Jessica didn't have to worry about her mother's wrath. 
 
"Oh Jessi, you're lucky Uncle is so nice. I think the garage where my driver-ajhussi sent your car is really reliable so I think the car will be okay." Tiffany said trying to make her friend feel better. "I also called him to pick us up, because I don't want us to miss out on the shopping sales for the holidays."
 
"Thanks Tiff, you're the best." 
 
"I know." Jessica looked her smiling friend doing her trademark eyesmile that has managed to melt hearts and shook her head. 
 
 
 
----
"I'm sorry Appa, I really shouldn't have done that. I am ready to accept whatever you have for me."
 
*Sigh*
"Just when I thought you grew out of that age where you would want to do stuff like these-"
 
"It's not the car, I just wanted to go shopping and not miss out on the sales."
 
Mr. Jung nodded in understanding, obviously his daughter was more worried about missing the sales.
 
"So?"
 
"So what?"
 
"I know that you're not just going to let me walk away."
 
"Yeah I am not. So since you have done, whatever you've done to the car, it's your responsibility to pay for the repairs and actually learn how to drive it. Now it's your car, and Krystal can drive your old car."
 
"What?!?! I have to learn it?"
 
"Yes, it's not that hard. Find some driving lessons in the neighborhood and learn how to drive it. I heard from Mr. Baek which garage the car is that, we usually go there for repairs too. If you ask someone there, I am sure they will hook you up with someone to teach you actually how to do it."
 
"Okay. Thank you, and I am sorry for the car."
 
"it's okay Sooyeon."
 
--------------------
Jessica heard the door of her room open and her sister barged n.
 
"Unnie are you okay?"
 
Jessica looked up from her laptop. 
 
"Oh yeah I am fine, it's just a minor car trouble, no worries really."
 
"Oh okay. I heard from Tiffany unnie what happened."
 
"It's fine. We're all fine. Appa is just making me pay for all the repairs. But I deserve it anyways."
 
"SO what did you buy?"
 
Jessica chuckled at the eagerness of the question. "Is that what you really came here for? to steal my new clothes?"
 
"Get over yourself unnie, your clothes won't fit me anyways."
 
"Aish! Now that you're all taller than me you have this attitude. Fine I won't show you-"
 
"Come on just show me already."
 
"Fine. Come on." Jessica sighed as she got up to her closet to get her newest purchases. 

 

--------------------------------------

 

"Thanks for coming with me Tiff."

"I can't just let you lose in a car garge."

"I mean it's not like you have much experience either."

"Yeah, uh-but I have been here a few times before."

"Really? You never told me...what for-?" Jessica looked at her friend questioningly, it was unlikely for Tiffany to be coming to a car garage often.

"O-OH you know with our driver ajhussi when he'd have to pick something up or drop off something for Daddy's car." Tiffany replied looking straight ahead, busying herself to find anyone in the garage. Technically it wasn't a lie. 

"Uhmm..oh I see." 

Tiffany secretly sighed in relief when she noticed that Jessica seemed to buy her excuse. She still couldn't bring herself to tell her bestfriend that she had been seeing one of the car mechanics who also happened to be a girl. First of all society wasn't exactly too kind to this kind of relationship. What if Jessi is against my relationship with her...I don't want to lose either of them. Especially since Jessica wasn't particularly happy with the fact that she broke up with her boyfriend Nickhun who is the best friend of Jessica's boyfriend Taekyeon. And Tiffany didn't really have any concrete reason to break up with him, other than the generic "It's not you, it's me" and "We're not fit for each other". Nickhun was a nice guy and he was respectful of Tiffany's wishes and still wanted her in his life as a friend, to which Tiffany agreed readily, because he had always been a good friend. 

"Hello?" Tiffany yelled out to see if anyone was in. 

 

Yuri heard the loud voice that she recently got familiar with, right outside the garage and looked up. 

"Kyungsoo-ah, can you go see what Tippani-ssi wants. I am coming after I am done with this one calculation for the new parts that came in." 

"Yes of course, Noona." With that Kyungsoo went outside. 

 

"Tiffany-noona, Hi"

"Hi Kyungsoo-ah"

"Oh noona just went outside to bring in some parts for this old car that came in for repairs, she'll be back soon and Yuri-noona is inside she'll be out in a minute."

Jessica frowned a bit since it seemed like this guy seemed really comfortable with Tiffany coming in. Strange. Wow Yuri seems like a common name around here. 

"Oh no I am here with my friend Jessica. Her car was brought here last week for repair."

"Okay yeah, tell me the plate number and I will go check on the status or it."

"The last four digits are 724- YAH! YOU!?!"

"What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean what I am doing here...What are you doing here?"