Not so sweet Memories

My Uncle Blade

  Nanami felt very uncomfortable in the truck. She didn’t like trucks at all. She always felt that trucks meant bad thing were going to happen, because when she lived with her mother bad things always did happen in them. She shuddered remembering not too long ago when she was four years old. A similar black truck came to pick up her and her mother up from their apartment.

   “ Now Nanami be good okay I want you to listen to Mr. Hashimoto. He’s a nice man but he gets mad quick, so no matter what happens tonight do not piss him off okay,” her mother said looking at her with kind eyes.

Nanami smiled and nodded her head. When the black truck pulled up two large men stepped out of the back seats. Nanami stepped back a bit. They looked absolutely terrifying, like someone you would see in a scary movie. One man had a long snake tattoo with characters on his arm that she couldn't read and hair was very long, almost down his back. The other man had much shorter hair and had a long scar on his arm. They both wore all black accompanied with black boots. She hid behind her mother who was calmly holding her hand. Another man who was not as the other two but almost just as tall came out of the car. He had short hair and was also wearing all black, accompanied by black sunglasses. In his hand was a tablet and what looked like a dishcloth.

   “Honey how are you,” the man said walking toward them grinning.

   “Mr. Hashimoto hello, I didn’t think you would be back from your trip so early. Please come inside and have a meal, I’ve almost finished preparing dinner .”

   “Oh no sweetheart, I dont have the time. Places to go and people to see. I simply swung by to pick up your money.”

   “ Oh but Mr.Hashimoto I didn’t know you would be coming today.”

   “Is there a problem?” he asked walking directly in front of her.

   “No sir I have the money I just… ”  

Nanami’s mother walked into their apartment, and she followed behind her. Nanami watched as her mother walked into the kitchen and open a cupboard. She pulled out a pickle jar filled with money and brought it out.

   “It would be a a lot easier if you counted in here.”

The man nodded and stepped inside. He didn’t take his shoes off and continued to the family room. Nanami could still remember the way it felt to have that man walk into the house, it was just a terrible feeling. Although nothing had happened she just felt like something bad was going to happen.

   “I would have had the the money more organized if I knew you were dropping in today.”

   “That’s why I like you hun, you're always prepared. Your mother was wrong about you, you're actually very resourceful.”

The men began to count the money and set it in several piles. There was several yen but there was also money that she didn’t recognize. It was a green paper with men she had never seen before.”

   “Alright honey you're left with 50,000 yen for you and 100 U.S dollars”

Nanami’s mother stared at the man in confusion.

   “There has to be some sort of mistake.”

The man glared at her as he cocked his head to the side.

   “You think I’m cheating you?”

Nanami’s mother was silent, but Nanami could tell that she was upset.

   “I didn’t say that, but I know I should have more than 50,000 yen.”

Nanami began to feel butterflies fly around in her stomach. She just wanted to climb in he bed in hide, but she refused to leave her mother. The man stood up and man named Mr. Hashimoto stood up and began pacing the floor. Nanami’s mother also stood up and crossed her arms.

   “Now hun, you know I try to be patient with you girls… but calling me a thief is a bit unacceptable,” He said giving her a strange smile. “I think you hurt my feelings,” He said walking toward her.

   “You know I meant no harm by it,” Nanami’s mother said taking a few steps backwards.

   “How much are you missing?”

   “It honestly doesn't matter I can easily earn it back.”

   “Tell me now or I’ll just come up with numbers on my own and trust me honey you won't like that at all.”  

Her mother was silent for moment. For a second Nanami thought her mother wouldn't answer the man. She looked up at her mother with pleading eyes, she didn’t want the man to get any angrier than he already was.

   “ About 70,500 yen.”

The man raised his eyebrows at her and put his hand over his heart.

   “Oh hun you must think I’m some lowlife poor bastard!” He paused a moment and stared at Nanami. “It’s okay though it's fine! It's freaking fine! Because I have stolen such precious property from my dear friend I’m going to help her get it back!”

The man grabbed Nanami’s mother’s arm and began heading towards the door. Nanami couldn’t hold back the tears that began coming to her eyes.

   “No!” Nanami screamed running towards her mother.

The man smiled at her. While pushing her mother in the car. When Nanami saw her mother she didn’t seem scared or upset, she just seemed genuinely unbothered.

   “How cute I like the feisty little ones. Grab her he said to the men who were standing right behind her.

One of the men picked her up and walked towards Mr. Hashimoto. The other one went into the car and then pulled out a white napkin.

   “How would you like to help your mom-

   “HEY!”

Nanami’s thoughts were interrupted by a sudden yelp.

   “You are not slick blade! I know exactly where we are going now! You always manage to make things about you!”

Blade seemed feed up with Aiesha whose name was beginning to stick to Nanami.

   “I don’t even see why you brought us here! You know I hate that little trifling man who acts like a little boy! How are you even friends with him! And what about Nanami? Do you really want to bring her to a place like this? And on top of all of this you know I’m starving!”

   “SHUT UP! You're extremely complanesive and annoying today. It’s like I don't even know why.... No one asked you to tag along you wanted to come. I would have been just fine by myself and now I really wish I was by myself.”

Nanami looked over at Aiesha who had sat back in her seat and folded her arms like a little kid.

   “There are snacks in a cooler in the back.” The driver said, “ My apologies for not telling you sooner,”

   “ It's fine thank you,” Aiesha said reaching in the back part of the car and opening the cooler.

She pulled out a soda and a nature’s valley bar and smiled.

   “Hey Nanami do you want one?”

Nanami shook her head. Aiesha frowned.

   “Sweetie you need to eat. You didn’t eat at all on the plane. Here just take a tiny piece of mine.” Aiesha said breaking off a piece of the bar and handing it to Nanami.

Before she had mentioned it Nanami actually forgot she was hungry. She took a bite out of the granola bar and sat silently for the rest of the ride. Once again there was a long silence. No one talked or tried to even stir up a conversation. Nanami looked over at Aiesha and noticed she was asleep. She had many questions about the woman, who was she? At first she assumed it was her uncle's girlfriend, but now it seemed a if that were impossible. The seemed like enemies more than friends. She was glad the woman was there though. Her uncle was extremely scary, but the woman seemed safe. She hoped that she would be staying with them, Nanami couldn’t imagine asking her uncle anything. She began to wish her mother had introduced her to her uncle sooner. Soon just like Aiesha Nanami began to fall asleep.