Seven.

Not Alone

Taeyeon POV

 

 

 

 

I heard a faint beeping but that didn’t answer the question floating around in my head any more than the next sound did.

“See ya later,” a familiar voice questioned.

Wait… is that my sister? Why is she here?

No, the real question is where is here?

I was lying down in a bed but I seriously didn’t remember how I got here at all… what the- How-

“You know it,” another voice responded playfully. I didn’t know who that one belonged to but I had bigger things to worry about right now. I heard the familiar whoosh of the door but curiosity got the better of me. Aish! I quickly tried to open my eyes and see who was leaving but- omo-

“Ow,” I groaned. Those lights were really freaking bright… jeesh what was this place, a freaking hospital or something?

I opened them a little bit slower this time to see if they would adjust better to the blinding white lights and-

“Omo, Taeng,” I heard Hyoyeon practically shout. “Are you awake?”

“Ow,” I groaned again. “Loud much?” She laughed.

“Oh shut up. I’ll go tell the nurse.”

I opened my mouth to stop her but she had already left and come back by the time I said ‘wait’.

Heol… I completely forgot about her whole super speed thing there for a minute. Like completely

 “Here let’s lean you up. The nurse will be right in,” she said before I felt a slight tug on my arm. I nodded, my head still jumbled. The hum of a machine started under me and soon I felt the bed reach my back in an upright position.

“Thanks,” I said as my eyes adjusted a little more. I didn’t have my glasses on or my contacts in… even though I totally remember putting them in earlier today… but I could still make out another white bed across from me. There were some computers and machines beside it too and it looked like…

Wait…

Oh no.

“Is this a hospital,” I asked urgently. That was definitely a hospital bed and- ohh no. That means I was in one too, didn’t it…

 “No,” Hyoyeon said as she shook her head. I let out a breath of relief, but it was totally premature. “But it is the infirmary. You passed out during evals pabo, what did you expect?”

My mind went blank.

Passed out?

“I-I did?”

Oh my… is that seriously what happened?

Heol, it had to be. I mean it did pretty much explain why I had no idea how I got here, right?

 “Yeah,” Hyo laughed. “I heard you completely iced Mrs. Park too.” She had to stop and laugh again, but that didn’t sound very funny to me. “Oh~ I would’ve paid money to see that.”

“Iced?”

Seeing as how Hyoyeon was cracking up about it I knew it couldn’t have been a good thing, but I still needed to ask and make sure. She hummed.

“You put her in a huge ice cube with your power Taeng, don’t tell me you don’t remember that?”

Holy, wha-

“I did what?!” I think my heart momentarily stopped.

I… She- That sounded really- Oh god…

“I-is she okay?! And why are you laughing at that Hyo? What if I-”

“Oh don’t sound so damaged Taeng,” she cut me off. “She’s fine. Jessica Jung and that kid who melts stuff helped thaw her out... We super humans are incredibly durable.”

I let out a deep breath while trying to ignore her smug comment, but my mind flung back toward Mrs. Park. I was just so relieved that she was okay. It really felt like a huge weight was lifted off my chest. Gah, I definitely didn’t want to accidently hurt someone with my power on the first-

 “Oh my god.”

It just hit me. I- I

 “What? Are you okay,” Hyoyeon asked. I couldn’t respond.

 “Oh my god,” I had to repeat again. I just…

“Taeng, what’s the-“

 “I… I have ice powers? L-like Jessica Jung?” My mind started racing.

Ice? Like ICE?

No freaking way…

Jessica was totally rude earlier, but her ability was seriously the best one I saw all day. Oh my… Did that mean I could do what she did at the evaluations too? She-

“Taeyeon,” Hyoyeon sighed, bringing me from my thoughts.

Uh oh that didn’t sound good…

“You’re like infinitely more powerful than Jessica Jung you idiot. You’re Level Zero. Don’t you know what- Oh right… I guess you don’t huh,” she grinned. “Whoops.”

While I was momentarily caught up on the words ‘infinitely more powerful’ she totally just reminded me that I had some serious questions for her.

“Yah, now that you brought it up why did mom and dad never tell me about this? Any of this?” I waited, but there was no response. “Was it really because they didn’t think I had any powers? No,” I answered myself. “Even if I didn’t they should have still told me about everything.”

“I-“

“It isn’t fair Hyo,” I cut her off. “I don’t know anything about any of this! I-“

“Hello~,” the woman entering the room practically sang.

Aish~! Couldn’t she have waited a few more minutes? I needed some answers!

“This isn’t over Hyo,” I whispered.

“Yeah, yeah,” she replied. “Good morning Ms. B.” The lady walking this way-

Wait… Good morning? Isn’t it-

“Good morning Hyoyeon and an especially good morning to you Taeyeon. Are you feeling any better?”

 “I uh…,” I trailed off.  Heol… I’ve been too caught up in everything else to even think about how I felt. “I guess,” I replied eventually. I mean I didn’t feel bad? The nurse took a few notes before speaking again.

“Right, what I should’ve asked is, is your head feeling any better? I was told you were talking about a headache during the evaluation?”

Oh right, I almost forgot!

Actually, wait. Holy…

How was that even possible?

“My head doesn’t hurt at all,” I replied in shock.

My head killed earlier… like I was considering removing it entirely from my body but now it doesn’t even have a tiny ache. This was all even weirder to me since I don’t think I can remember a day in the past two years that my head didn’t hurt at least a little bit…

Whatever drugs they gave me to get rid of it must be fantastic. She grinned again.

“That’s great to hear, but you did take quite a spill on stage when you passed out so you might have some bruising or tenderness for a few days. We did an MRI and checked for a concussion too, but it all came out just fine.” I nodded.

“That’s good?” I didn’t know if I was supposed to respond to that or not.

“Very,” the nurse chimed. She then asked if I remembered anything out of the ordinary during the evaluation, but nothing really stuck out to me.

“I don’t know? I just remember that guy telling me to take off my bracelets and then my head hurting worse and worse and now I’m here…” She nodded.

Hold up, did the bracelets have something to do with my head hurting so much?

Nah~, that couldn’t be right. It even sounded silly as I thought it.

“Hmm, so you don’t remember actually using your ability on Mrs. Park?” I shook my head.

 “Not at all,” I replied honestly.

“Yeah,” Hyoyeon added. “She freaked out when I told her a few minutes ago. It was hilarious.” Ms. B or whatever her name was sighed.

“I’m sure it was. I’m going to go get Doctor Snow and Hyoyeon you should be getting to class. I think we’ll be just fine on our own now.”

“But-“

“And I’m not going to write you another pass to skip.” Ms. B crossed her arms and Hyoyeon sighed.

“Fine,” she said angrily. “You’ll be okay, right?” I nodded. I didn’t see why not. I mean I’m already in a hospital bed, what more could possibly happen?

It was pretty strange for her to be so… protective of me like this though. It was odd, but I guess I did just pass out… and what did the nurse mean by another pass? I-

“Okay, see ya,” Hyoyeon said with a quick pat on my shoulder. I almost laughed.

Never mind.

Her ‘protectiveness’ just went right out the window.

“I’ll come back at lunch kiddo. Don’t pass out again.” Hyoyeon grinned and in a blink of an eye she was gone… literally.

Omo, speaking of food though I think my stomach just tried to eat itself. I seriously felt like I could eat a whole elephant… or like six pizzas.

Whichever was easier to get I guess.

If it really is morning like they keep saying it is I must’ve missed at least two meals, probably even three. No wonder I’m starving. Omo! Maybe the nurse could bring me back something since she’s going to get the doctor anyway?

Eh, it’s worth a shot at least.

“Can I-“

 “The doctor can answer all your questions in just a few minutes Taeyeon,” she said cutting me off.

Wow, talk about rude…

“I’ll go let him know you’re awake and ready.”

And hungry, I mentally commented.

“Okay,” was what I actually said though. I guess I’ll just eat something when they let me leave. It shouldn’t be too long now.

It wasn’t nearly as quick as Hyoyeon, but within the next few seconds I was completely alone in the bright white room.

I don’t know if it was me not being able to understand a single thing that was happening or what, but I think I had like quadruple the amount of questions I had before. None of this made any sense to me, like at all. Ugh, I was just seriously hoping this doctor person could clear up a few things for me.

In the meantime however, I had frEAKING ICE POWERS~!

Holy crap! I actually couldn’t stop thinking about it the whole time.

I opened my hands palm up and seriously couldn’t believe it. No wonder Hyo was so nice to me, ice powers were way cooler than being able to talk to dogs!

I created ice with these hands, like actual hard, cold ice and apparently a lot of ice too if I put that Mrs. Park lady in a block of it like Hyoyeon said.

Ugh, does it make me a horrible person if I say that I wish I could’ve seen it too? I mean it’s not like she was hurt or anything when I did it, right?

Whatever!

I just couldn’t believe it. I wanted to try to see if I could do it again, but where did I even begin?

How was I supposed to like… do it?  

I tried to close and then open my hands back up at different speeds to see if that triggered it, but nothing happened. Hmm… How else could I-

Ah-ha!

The next thing I tried to do was channel my inner Goku and Kamehameha it out. I didn’t yell or go super saiyan or anything, but I did put my hands together and really, really tried to focus my energy out through them.

After thirty seconds or so of nothing, I finally gave up.

Dang, I couldn’t even give myself a cold chill let alone make actual ice. I totally thought the Dragon Ball Z thing would work too. It was a little depressing actually. I just didn’t understand. All the superheroes on the news made it look so easy. Hell, even the students here did it without much effort it seemed… What was wrong with me? 

I let my head fall back against the pillow and-

WHOOSH~

Just kidding.

I pulled my head back up just in time to see a surprisingly young guy coming this way.

What?! He’s the doctor? I totally expected to see some old man with a grey beard walking in here. I-

“It’s good to see you finally awake Ms. Kim,” he said cheerfully. Wait… finally? “I’m sure your friends will be happy to hear it. They were in here almost every chance they had.”

Hold on just a minute now. I’ve let this opportunity pass by too many times.

“How long have I been asleep,” I asked immediately.  

I mean I figured since everyone was saying ‘morning’ it was just the next day. I guess I was still pretty jet lagged and I did pass out, so I feel like that’s kind of understandable, right? I thought I just kinda slept it off or something, but the way this guy said it made it sound like I’d been out for a month!

“Around forty-two hours,” he questioned while looking at his watch. I- Omo.

Forty two hours?! Holy, that’s…

“Almost two days,” I asked in disbelief. He nodded.

“Yes, and your friends and sister have been in a ton to see you,” he grinned.

“Her roommate left right before she woke up actually.” The doctor smirked again.

“I believe it. She’s a firecracker that one.” The nurse smiled along, but I was so confused.

What the hell was going on?

Why were these two chatting like I hadn’t just been asleep for forty two hours?! Is that a normal thing around here or something? They’re not on the same drugs are they?

“Right,” the doctor said with a quick change of tone. “I’m Professor Snow and I’ve been the one looking over you.”

Huh, I thought she said he was a doctor? Like a medical doctor…

I know doctor and professor kind of meant the same thing, but wouldn’t a medical doctor introduce themselves as doctor whatever? Especially when they were about to give medical advice?!

“Oh I am a medical doctor as well, Taeyeon don’t worry,” he grinned. “I just think doctor sounds a little more pretentious, don’t you think?” I internally scoffed.

And Professor didn’t?

This guy must be totally full of- wait.

“I guess you’re right,” he laughed.

How did he-

“You can call me whichever you want Taeyeon.”

Oh my god.

I was seriously mortified. I could feel my face heating up and I truly wished I had Yoona’s ability right about now. I couldn’t believe myself. Did I seriously just say all that out loud? Holy, I knew I hit my head and all but-

 “No, you didn’t.” I-

“Huh,” I questioned aloud… I think. Wait… “Then how- OH my gosh!”

It hit me. Hard.

I was so dumb.

“You… you can read minds?” He nodded with that tooth paste commercial grin again.

“Guilty.”

Oh my gosh I am so stupid. Why did I have to go and say… er, think that?

“It’s okay Taeyeon, I get it all the time,” he probably lied. “Telepathy is actually one of the rarer abilities. There aren’t that many of us out there so it’s safe to assume that not every super human you meet can read your mind,” he chuckled. “But there is something very curious about you.” I automatically gulped.

Curious? Curious?!

That didn’t sound very promising…

“Oh no, it’s nothing to worry about Taeyeon,” he assured. “It’s just interesting to me.”

Crap, now I’m interesting too? Interesting how?

 “Well for starters, I could tell you what Ms. B here had for breakfast every day for the past year. I could probably even tell you exactly what she wore on her tenth birthday too if you wanted to know.” Ms. B almost giggled, but I was lost.

I… Uhm… okay? Why would I ever want to know that? How did any of that even kind of have to do with-

“Sorry, I was just trying to use it as an example because with you Taeyeon I can’t read more than your current thoughts.”

Huh, why not?

Oh god, was there something wrong with me? I mean it’s not like I wanted him to go delve into my brain or anything, but if he could do it to her why couldn’t he do it to me?

“That’s what is interesting to me too. Even though you displayed cryokinetic abilities with the ice blast you created during evaluations, I think you might have a latent telepathic ability as well,” he explained.

What the-?! He thinks I’m telepathic too? As in ALSO?! How-

“Yes, I believe you might be,” he responded to the question in my head.

Okay, so no matter how cool mind reading sounds, it’s definitely beginning to get on my nerves. Can’t a girl think by herself for a minute? Jeesh…

“Right sorry,” he apologized again. “This is all just so interesting to me.”

“How,” I asked aimlessly. Err... “I mean why… Why do you think I’m telepathic? I can’t read your mind and you’re sitting right in front of me.”

“While that is true, you’ve never been taught to use it, let alone control it.” I nodded.

That made sense I guess, but then why did he think I was? Shouldn’t I be-

“That answer is easy… Sorry it’s the last time I promise,” he grinned. “But the reason I believe you are is simply just because I can’t read your mind.”

Uhmm… okay. Now he really lost me.

“Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I have been recognized as one of the top telepaths in existence... amongst Level One users obviously.”

I nodded like it made any sort of sense to me, and thankfully he continued.

“I’ve also had the liberty and pleasure to meet a few other Level Zero users and I was able to read the minds of all of them except for one… who was also a telepath. That’s why I believe you are one as well. I think since the ability is there within you, you’re subconsciously blocking me out of your mind without you even knowing it. It could be part of a defense mechanism or just the ability itself giving you almost complete telepathic immunity. It’s truly fascinating.”

Heol… That actually made complete sense to me… who knows nothing about any of this! Wah~!

“Of course it could all be a huge coincidence, but I’ve been able to read every mind I’ve ever come across except for yours and the other Level Zero telepath… even your fathers, however briefly.”

While I’m sure that was supposed to mean something important, I just couldn’t get past the fact that yesterday, well I guess a few days ago, I didn’t even think I had one ability and now I potentially have two?!

Two awesome abilities that I have absolutely no idea how to control…

Ouch.

That made me feel even worse than I already did about it all.

What the… what’s the point of-

“Don’t worry Taeyeon, that’s why you’re at our fantastic school full of students and teachers just like you. With your classes and training you should be able to use your abilities with ease in the next few months.”

I felt a little better after his mini pep-talk, but I was still not convinced.

I remember my mom saying that her ability came to her when she was really young, not fully developed of course, but she could still spontaneously grow claws whenever she wanted… and Hyo has been attending these school since I could even remember! Why couldn’t I do a single thing?

“Which reminds me,” he said pulling me from my thoughts. “Now that you’ve woken up and I see that you’re doing just fine, you can start attending your classes today if you’d like.”

My classes?! Oh my-

“Or I can write you another pass for today, but you’ll definitely have to attend tomorrow,” he laughed. “You’re being discharged from the infirmary!”

Great. Just great…

I decided to take option B in the end and just go straight to my new room… where ever that was.

Thankfully Professor Snow- crap, I guess professor really does sound a little better than doctor after all… ugh, whatever!

Mr. Snow told me that I probably needed to stop by the main office and get my schedule too so I did just that. The lady behind the desk gave me it and exact directions to my room. She even drew me a mini map… although it didn’t seem like it was that hard at all. Oh well. I picked up the paper with my schedule on it and quickly folded it in to my pocket.

I really didn’t want to think about going to class yet. Instead I walked past the cafeteria like the lady said and out the door on my right.

It was hard to pass up the delicious smelling food when my stomach was practically begging, but I didn’t know how all that worked yet and I really didn’t want to add it to the list of things I don’t have a clue about right now… and besides I totally packed my favorite candies from home in my suitcase. I was going to try to make them last at least until our first school break in a few months, but who am I kidding?

They were too delicious to pass up!

I pushed through the double doors on the dorm building that was a short distance from where I just was and headed straight up the stairs to room 227. Unlocking it with my newly received key, I was finally able to see the room I’ll be staying in all year.

It was nothing fancy by all means, two beds, two desks, two dressers and a mini fridge, but it was definitely a lot nicer than I pictured… and a hell of a lot more pink.

Ho-ly cow.

I didn’t know who my roommate was, but I could definitely tell what their favorite color was.

Hint; it’s not blue.

 

________________________________________

 

Whoooops this chap is like twice as long as usual, but I guess I just got caught up in it!
 

I'm really impressed with all of your guesses though! Some of them may or may not be partially right too!^^
We'll have to see~!

If you have any suggestions/wishes/wants for the next chap please don't be afraid to tell me! I'm always open to advice!

I'm thinking Tiffany's POV next? Or maybe Jessica's??
Let me know what you think!
 

Thankyou for all the subscribes/comments/votes!

<333