Patient is the Key

SuRene Drabble

Junmyeon feels like he’s in the air. Seeing Joohyun and Joonho with his parents together. This is what he has dreamt of for years. A happy family. He just can’t believe that he thrown Irene just for the sake that he doesn’t believe in a long distance relationship. What bull does he think then? He was so stupid. He knows that he will regret this for the rest of his life. For putting aside Irene and his child that time to pursue his master’s degree abroad. He suffered a lot when he was abroad. Suffer of missing someone. After all these years, it is still her, it is still Joohyun. His Joohyun.

Junmyeon just stare at Joohyun face while she’s talking to his mother. His mother are holding both of her hands. While Joonho are playing with his father. He don’t know what are they talking about, but it’s cute how Joonho is so talkative to his grandfather.

Now it’s Joohyun turn to look at Junmyeon because of what his mother just said. Mrs Kim said “I know it will took a long time for you to forgive Junmyeon. And I understand that. But I just wish that you don’t take it too long. Look at him.”  Junmyeon look at the view longingly. Joohyun feels a bit guilty for keeping about this for so long. But she knew deep down her heart that she forgives Junmyeon the minute they laid their eyes on each other a few months before at the mall, or is it that she forgave him a long time before.

Joohyun is still confuse and still on guard about her heart. She just don’t want to get hurt. That is why she build this invisible wall around her so it can protect her. Even though her friends has set her up with lots of dates, none of them catches her heart like Junmyeon does years ago. She don’t know is that a good thing or a bad thing to love one person after all these years. Maybe deep down her heart that she still have faith that Junmyeon will be back to her arms. But what is stopping her now? When Junmyeon is already there to catch her when she falls? She don’t even know. She needs time. But one thing that she knows, the love that she got for this man is still there after all these years. And Joohyun will never say it out loud but it is still burning and long for him. Joohyun just sigh, and nod at Mrs Kim.

Mrs Kim continued, “I’m so grateful to you for raising Joonho so beautifully. I just wish you had turn to us for help.” she said disappointedly. Joohyun just hang her head low and said, “I’m sorry. I was just confused and scared. I’m Scared of holding Junmyeon’s future back. I’m afraid that you and Mr Kim will probably dislike me for being pregnant.” she told truthfully. Mrs Kim just hug her tight and pat her on her back and sigh, “I’m sorry that you have been through a lot. And we will never do that to you. We love you too much. We accept you just the way you are. We will be happy to know that you are pregnant with Junmyeon’s child and yours. I’m sorry that you feel that way. You’ve been through a lot. You worked hard my child. I’m so proud of you. I’m so proud on how you raising Joonho alone all this time. I’m so so proud of you Joohyun-ah. You did well.” Mrs Kim sobs while still hugging the vulnerable mother. Joohyun just cried silently and hug her back.

Junmyeon heard what the conversation that Joohyun held with his mother. He is glad that his mother can say what that he should have said but doesn’t have a heart to bring it up. He just felt really guilty that the words that he needs to say to her all this time are just tongue tied. He was also proud of how she’s raising Joonho as a single mother, it must be hard on her. He just sigh. He can’t take this anymore. He just got up from his seat and he went to the kitchen to drink some water. He somehow choked up thinking about this. He is just overwhelmed and Joohyun can see at the corner of her eyes that Junmyeon is holding back his tears. She just silently sigh.

 

 

                                                   

 

After dinner, Junmyeon sent Joohyun and Joonho back but not without promises to comeback and his parents promise to visit their grandchild and Joohyun often. Junmyeon went back to his parents’ house because he knows that his parents have many question for him about the situation.

“I’m home.” Junmyeon yelled. He went to the living room and as expected, his parents are still there waiting for him with a cup of tea. He just sigh and sit at the couch facing Mr Kim and Mrs Kim. He look at them while sipping his tea. His parents just wait for him in silent. “Okay guys, I know you want to ask questions.” Junmyeon start putting his tea down.

“Are you going to marry Joohyun, Junmyeon-ah?” her mother starts eagerly. Junmyeon just sigh. “I want to omma. I really do. That is really my dream. To live with them, to love them, to have a new start. But it’s not that easy omma. You know Joohyun. She’s….” he stopped and take a big breath and continues “…hurt. By me. I let her down. Tremendously. It will take time for her to accept me back in her life. I’m just really grateful that she let me see Joonho and let me sleepover sometimes. It’s really a big step for her to open up. But I’ll try and I won’t give up. I won’t make the same mistake 5 years ago. I need them. I need my family.” He said desperately nearly crying but hold it back.

His father just smile, “We understand Junmyeon-ah. Just be patient. You will get her back. If you were meant for each other they will come back to you no matter what.” He just pat his son back.

 

 

Junmyeon is sitting in his office minding his own business when 1 of his cousins and 3 of his friends Byun Baekhyun, Park Chanyeol, and Do Kyungsoo, enter the room with a loud bang! Junmyeon is startled and looked up. Then sigh. “Here we go with the interrogation.”

“Yah, why don’t you tell us you have a daughter?” the eldest start it of first. He is Junmyeon’s cousin and yes, Jongdae’s little brother. All of his friends is looking at him. Expectations in their eyes and also excitement. Junmyeon let out another sigh.

The impatient one, Byun Baekhyun is also present and he said, “Yah hyung, when did you impregnate a woman? Aren’t you a ? I never saw you with any woman ever. Me, Chanyeol and Chen thought you were swinging the other side.” He babble. Kyungsoo just nudge him whispering, “Shut up, and let the man talk.” Even though he’s also the calm one, Junmyeon can see curiosity in his eyes.

Junmyeon can guess where they got the news. It can be Jongdae itself.

Junmyeon sigh again. And look at his friends. “Yes, my lovely friends. I have a 4 year old son that I don’t know about and I left them. And no it is not some woman. It is Joohyun, Bae Joohyun. The woman that I love since my university days at Korea. Maybe some of you can recall that I may have tell you stories about her.” Junmyeon said calmly.

Then another loud bang is heard at the door, and then came in Junmyeon’s siblings with their confuse face. “Yah Jun hyung, why I heard from mom that you have a son? A four year old son at that? Who do you accidentally get pregnant?” Jongin the younger one. “Jun oppa you have a son? Can I see him? I want to give him toys. Are you getting married? I want to spend time with sister in law.” She said dreamily, that is the youngest of the Kim’s household. Kim Yerim.

Junmyeon sigh yet again. “Guys, I’m sorry I don’t reach you guys over this matter. And you had to hear it from mom. But the woman is Joohyun, Bae Joohyun.”

Jongin and Yerim gasp. And simultaneously said “What????” out loud.

The 4 friends look confused, “You knew this Bae Joohyun?” Chanyeol asked.

The two siblings went, “OF COURSE!!!!” loudly.

“The only woman that’s been in hyung’s heart for years, even though,” he said “he left her...” in a small voice but the group still can hear it.

“OMG!!! Joohyun unnie is back?” They can see tears in Yerim’s eyes. “I miss her. She was so sweet to me back then. She always help me go through ty things throughout high school.” She said. “I was so confuse why she doesn’t see me anymore even though you two have broken up and you left. She was hiding her pregnancy.” She look toward her eldest brother.

Junmyeon just nod regretfully. All of the boys just listen of the siblings’ discussion.

“Yeah. I know. I’m at fault. I just don’t believe in long distance relationship. And I broke off with her. But she didn’t even stop me or I don’t even stay to listen what she had to say to me. I’m not blaming her why she hide her pregnancy at that time. I know she just thinking that with a baby, I will stop chasing my dream. She just wants me to be happy even though she have to let me go and struggle being alone with a baby.” Junmyeon cried. Seeing he cries, the group just kept silence.

“It’s okay Junmyeon. You can make it up to them you have time. I know you really regret it. Just show them how much you love them. And Joohyun will definitely come around. Seeing how she’s raising your child until now. There’s a chance that she might still be in love with you.” Minseok says wisely. And everybody agrees.

Junmyeon raise his head and look at Minseok with hopeful eyes. “Do you think so?”

Minseok just smile and nod. “Of course. We will help you along the way. Don’t worry.”

“Okay are you done Junmyeon oppa? Let’s meet our nephew! I can’t wait! What is his name? He must be sooooo handsome! Ughh with your genes and Joohyun unnie genes. Your kid must be a one hell of a handsome kid in Seoul!” Yerim mumbles. The group just laughs.

Junmyeon chuckle with pride. “He’s name is Joonho. Kim Joonho. He is handsome I must say, but adding up with his manners, Joohyun raise one hell of a wonderful kid. I can’t wait for you all to meet him and Joohyun too. But not now okay guys?”

They just nod eagerly.