9 to 5

antithesis

"," a loud and painful noise startled seungcheol, as the sound of his head colliding with a lamp post vibrated throughout his entire head.  

seungcheol was so focused on getting to the chinese takeaway restaurant as soon as possible that he didn't realise that he was headed straight into a lamp post. 

", , , , my life."

seungcheol was on his knees clutching his head for god knows how long until he heard a beep that unmistakably belonged to a car. looking up, he saw a good friend of his. well, someone who was a good friend of his.

“i was laughing so hard when we saw an idiot walk straight into a lamp post but” wonwoo wheezes between his fits of laughter, “but i didn’t realise it was an idiot we knew phahahhahahahahahahahahahaha”

seungcheol was still in pain but he didn’t want his pride to get wounded anymore. he used to think this prick was one of the hottest human beings ever with his deep voice and strong gaze but he realised that his life was nothing but a cheesy romance manga he reads before sleep. 

wonwoo finally calmed down and said, “so where’s this idiot off then?”

ignoring the insult and wonwoo himself, seungcheol his heel and walked to the direction of the takeaway.

“hyunggggggggggggggggggggggggg” wonwoo could be the whiniest child ever, definitely not seungcheol’s type, seungcheol liked short guys like around 162cm with the cutest upturn smile, soft eyes and soft skin… 

whilst seungcheol stopped and daydreamed about jihoon, he had given wonwoo enough time to catch up to him.

his friend then wrapped his hands around the olders shoulder, “come on hyung, we’ll give you a lift~”

‘we’ turned out to be two members of the popular crew at seungcheol’s school, which surprised him a lot since he didn’t know anyone he knew mingled with those obnoxious people who often spoke too much, too loudly, as if everyone was hanging on every word they said.

wonwoo nudged him out of his thoughts, “hyung, this is jeonghan hyung and jisoo hyung!!”

“a-ah, jeonghan-ssi, jisoo-ssi, thanks for the lift” seungcheol didn’t know why he was talking so formally but he didn’t want to make a bad impression on wonwoo, he was fond of him. 

jisoo chuckled, “come on seungcheol-ah, we’re all friends! no need to be so formal~”

jeonghan looked into the rearview mirror and locked eyes with seungcheol, “soo-yah’s right, feel free to be comfortable around us seungcheol”

wonwoo tilted his head, true to his puppy like stature, “do you guys know each other or something?”

remembering the common denominator in this situation, seungcheol turned to him, “ah, yes. they go to the same school as ji, young and i but i’m in the same year as these two”

wonwoo beamed, “aaaah that just means we can hang out more as a bigger group!!! i miss soonyoung and jihoon hyung! speaking of which, why are they not with you?”

seungcheol reprimanded himself for forgetting all about jihoon who was waiting for food! 

“oh crap, yeah can you take me to cottage imperial restaurant please?” jisoo hummed in response.

“we’re all at youngie’s house if you wanna come, we usually order enough for 6 people, trust me!” seungcheol was sure the younger wouldn’t mind, they hadn’t seen wonwoo in a long time and with more people, he decided it was better since soonyoung would have to attend to his guests and their needs which means he gets left with jihoon. finally.

seeing wonwoo’s eyes glint with happiness and excitement, jeonghan and jisoo knew they didn’t really have a choice, their dongsaeng’s happiness coming first. 

 

mingyu and seokmin were now at the crappy movie and junk food section of their sleepover. 

“it’s not a ing sleepover mingyu!” seokmin waltzes back to his cocoon of warmth aka his sleeping bag with some low percentage alcohol.

mingyu reaches out for the strawberry flavoured drink, “why can’t you just call it a goddamn sleepover? it is what it is seokmin-ah. i don’t see why you’re making it seem as if it’s degrading that we’re doing something that girls do on a normal basis!”

seokmin thought about it and decided he was indeed in the wrong to leave such a negative connotation on his wake. sighing, he knew better not to argue with mingyu on a topic close to his heart.

mingyu chuckled, he could read his best friends thoughts as they appeared. “you’re not to blame for all of it hyung, the patriarchal society that we were brought up in and live in right now is what’s influenced your way of speaking and thinking!” mingyu smiles at his best friend yet again, “no one was born perfectly aware of the real issues in this country, in this continent or on this earth, we all learn as we go hyung”

seokmin smiled to his best friend before turning to the tv. mingyu always came up with something deep and philosophical these days but not once has he made seokmin feel stupid and small. more often than not, he found himself thanking god for a best friend as great as kim mingyu even if he wasn’t the nicest person in the world.

 

 

jihoon hands were still playing with soonyoung’s hair on his lap while the latter read, and the former thought.

he smiles to himself, remembering how he and this man in front of him used to date. it was cute really, they were each other’s first kiss, first boyfriend. though it’s long over, he was sure that he nor soonyoung regretted it. they were young, they didn’t know better, they didn’t know the difference between romantic love or best friend love - all they knew was that they were both into the same and they tried and it didn’t work and that was okay. 

it was actually thanks to lee seokmin they got together, they were-

jihoon’s thoughts were disrupted by the idiot who was on his lap who got up so fast, jihoon was sure he’d have whiplash.

7 seconds later, jihoon saw his best friend fall in a manner nearly as ungraceful as seungcheol’s.

looking at his soonyoung and debating whether or not he should help, he heard an old friend’s voice calling his name.

“JIHOON APPA!!!!!!” wonwoo practically jumped jihoon before he could think anything more of soonyoung.

jihoon mentally thanks soonyoung for padding the summer house so the whole place was padded bar the coffee table in the middle.

normally, hugs weren’t something that the older liked but he let it go, as it has been far, far too long since he saw the other.

“hi kiddo, have you been well? i was starting to think you had forgotten all about us?” wonwoo shook his head so vigorously that jihoon had to physically restrain him from doing it before the latter got brain damage and end up as stupid as seungcheol or something.

wonwoo’s optimism shone through, as usual “i just had a lot of things to do appa, i’ve got something to tell you later!!! i can’t wait to tell you but i want to eat first with you and the hyungs because i’m hungry!”

soonyoung has apparently overcome his stupidity, joining jihoon and wonwoo by jumping on the youngest, “I HAVE MISSED YOU MY CHILD!”

soonyoung winked at jihoon, and they both laughed. they had met wonwoo when they were dating and soonyoung had claimed him as their child ever since. wonwoo may be the same age as them but when has anything ever made sense with soonyoung? 

jihoon belatedly realised, “oh, what do you mean the other hyungs? you usually only call seungcheol hyung that?”

wonwoo finally unblocked the view of.. was that jeonghan and jisoo?!

the two looked flustered at the eyes that were looking questionably at them, jeonghan spoke up with a small voice, “a-ah, we saw seungcheol and we gave him a lift to the cottage imperial and he insisted on.. us joining and wonwoo wanted us to meet you properly.. would it be okay if we stayed?”

making eye contact with them, soonyoung smiled and chuckled, “any friend of wonwoo is welcome to my house~”

the awkward atmosphere was more or less non-existent after that, the newly formed group playing board games have now moved on to a game of twister.

“hyungs, soonyoungie has ANY and EVERY game you could want!”

and of course, twister was a national favourite when paired with cocktails.

soonyoung was currently in a complicated mess of limbs, with his legs crossed and his back on top of jihoon’s chest who was resting on top of seungcheol’s legs.

the sound of a FaceTime request rang through the slightly tipsy air of the kwon’s, with wonwoo noticing it before proceeding to stick his hand in all of the current players pockets until he finally found the noise originating from soonyoung’s flat .

“who is gyutie and WHY DOES HE HAVE A HEART NEXT TO HIS NAME!!!!” wonwoo was whining and shoving the phone in soon young’s face before jeonghan grabbed the phone and answered it.

the phone was soon covered by mingyu’s face whose face couldn’t hide his shock, “jeonghAN HYUNG?! i-. i’m pretty sure i facetime’d youngie hyung?!”

jeonghan’s melodic laughter filled the air and jisoo decided to confuse the younger even more and joined him, “sup gyu! how are you?”

the previously lifeless cocoon next to mingyu came to life and stared at the screen and whispered next to it, “what the ?”

jisoo and jeonghan merely laughed, “sleepover? how cute hhhhhHhhHAHAHAHAHAH”

the oldest laughed even harder when they heard mingyu try to whisper to seokmin that he thought they were drunk.

jisoo smirked at jeonghan, kissed his cheek and said, “we are as sober as sailors!”

mingyu laughed, they were still cute when they were drunk.

“yah but how come you didn’t invite us drinking?!”

jeonghan grabbed the camera and spoke to the tall idiot, “we’re at soonyoung’s with everyone!!! they’re waaaaay more fun and nicer than all of you!” showing the camera around, they showed wonwoo spinning a colourful wheel, soonyoung and jihoon were a mess of limbs tangled on the colourful sheet and seungcheol was chugging beer in the corner, looking disheartened.

giggling, jeonghan and jisoo attacked everywhere with the phone to show mingyu what they were missing out on, when they finished bothering everyone - only the two playing twister were left so jisoo and jeonghan gave the camera to wonwoo to shoot for mingyu and the pair creeped up to jihoon and soonyoung and tickled the boys and the camera just showed soonyoung and jihoon on top of each other, laughing their hearts out.