Hogsmead

Orchideous
 

It was Saturday. The day all the fifth years (with permission from a parent or guardian) would be able to leave the school grounds and go to the near by village of Hogsmead, where they could enjoy themselves with little to no restriction. 

 
Jonghyun woke up early after only two hours of sleep, thankfully it was still dark. He could begin his morning routine. He moved the open books on his bed aside; grabbed a small leatherback book and left his bed. He changed into his signature 'two sizes too big' clothing and concealed the book and a pen within them. He left the common room with a cloak draped over his shoulders. 
Jonghyuns appearance and personality often gave others the idea that he was a 'good boy' but Jonghyun regularly snuck out early morning and escaped to the astrometry tower, his favourite tower in the castle. 
 
It was easy for Jonghyun to sneak around the castle. His mischievous  mother gave Kibum and himself their very own invisibility cloaks for their eleventh birthday, Kibum barely used his, while Jonghyun used his frequently. Ironic considering Kibum came from a house priding themselves on being cunning and stealthy. 
When Jonghyun arrived at the top of the tower he let the cloak slip, he stood there in silence; playing melodies in his head as he waited for sunrise. He loved night but sunrise and sunset were something different, they inspired him. Jonghyun watched in awe as the sun rose and everything was orange. the sky, the trees, the castle, subconsciously Jonghyun reached for his book and a spare pen. he began writing, he wasn't sure what he was writing but the colors were too beautiful to not write about.
 
Jonghyuns secret passion was music, He sang beautifully, was very skilled at playing multiple instruments and was a promising lyricist. No one knew of his talent except for his family and his dorm mates who would often hear him sing in the shower. He remembered the first time they all heard his voice in first year. Jonghyun returned to his dorm to see them all looking at him in amazement, Baekhyun was the first to speak "Jonghyun you sing like an angel!" And the others profoundly agreed apart from Minho who was still in shock. Since then they were always trying to persuade him to join the choir but failed every year. Jonghyun was too shy. He was extremely talented but extremely humble. 
 
No one knew that he could actually compose music though, not even his parents. They often caught him playing unknown music on the piano in his room but assumed it was just something new, they never kept up with modern music. 
Jonghyuns father was the first to push him towards music, hoping it would make his son more confident but after years of Jonghyun excelling musically but remaining the same socially he began to disapprove. When Jonghyun was thirteen he remembers his parents fighting about it. Jonghyuns father claiming he would "end up weird" while his mother supported him and after that she bought Jonghyun every instrument he ever desired. 
 
Jonghyun wished to be a professional musician. muggle or wizard it didn't matter to him, he just wanted people to listen to his music but was so afraid of rejection that was out of the question. 
Jonghyun became sad at the thought but channelled the energy into the paper expressing how he felt the only way he knew how. 
 
After some time Jonghyun draped his cloak around himself and returned to the gryfinndor dormitory, he saw everyone was still asleep, he crept back into bed and waited.
Five minutes later; always the first to wake, Chanyeol began to stir. 
 
*
 
"Come on pretty boy! It's time to get up" 
Taemin groaned and moved his head under his pillow to block out the sound of Kai's voice when suddenly he felt cold, Kai ripped his covers off of him. Taemin groaned louder. 
 
"Let's go, sleeping beauty we've got to do today" 
Taemin thought to himself "let's see how long I can stay like this before he actually drags me out of bed"
He waited five seconds before he felt a pair of hands on his ankles as he was dragged across the mattress and onto the floor. 
Taemin realised it was time to get up.
 
"I was just about to get up you didn't have to be so pushy" "bull" Kai laughed and Taemin pouted. 
 
The pair got ready in an empty dormitory and then they headed to the great hall with Krystal in tow. The plan was for them to eat breakfast and then head to the tiny village of Hogsmead where they would stay until dinner. Taemin was eating his breakfast when his eyes wandered until they landed on Jonghyun, a very tired Jonghyun. He was drifting in and out of consciousness, he was resting his head on Choi Minho's shoulder; Taemin brushed aside his jealously for concern. 
 
He always saw the dark bags under Jonghyuns eyes during their study sessions but he assumed that was some kind of makeup trend, he remembered a ravenclaw with the same kind of style. To him, Jonghyun was too bright for the dark circles to be caused by fatigue but seeing him like this now "there's so much that I still don't know" he wasn't eating which also made Taemin worry. He noticed that Kibum slipped a clear liquid In Jonghyuns pumpkin juice and raised the cup for him.
 
After drinking it Jonghyun raised his head; sat up properly and smiled at Kibum and Minho reassuringly. Taemin didn't even know that he was staring until Jonghyuns eyes met his. His eyes were big in surprise before he smiled at Taemin the same way. Taemin couldn't tell if he was smiling back or not, his face began to heat up.
It was frustrating for him that no matter how callous or cold he was around others, his expression changed whenever he was around Jonghyun. His eyes would always subconsciously try to pick him out of a crowd and despite Jonghyuns size they always managed to find him. Taemin went four years without caring or even knowing about Jonghyuns existence but now it was as if he was a magnet and he couldn't escape the natural pull towards the blonde gryfinndor. 
 
Taemin has had "crushes" before on both boys and girls but this wasn't that feeling. After being around the person for more than two weeks Taemin became bored with them, Kai and Krystal were the only exceptions but now it seems that Jonghyun was also a part of the exception. 
"Jonghyun is my tutor. Nothing else" he thought but the moment he did Jonghyuns face fell and he looked down in confused sadness. 
 
After a few weeks of the other helping him with his school work, Taemin has barely learned anything about Jonghyun apart from his interests in school and what subject was his favourite (charms). "we're barely friends" "who's barely friends?" Krystal asked with full so it was more of "hers barly frands?" "Gross" Taemin thought as Krystal spat a little in her attempt at speaking. 
"No one, I was just quoting from a song I've had stuck in my head" "smooth tae, smooth"
 
It wasn't technically lying, Taemin really did have a song stuck in his head all mornings but it was more of a tune; without lyrics and it was completely unrecognisable.
 
 
*
 
Jonghyun brought this upon himself and he knew it. No human could physically function for more than a few minutes with two hours sleep. He tried to get himself out of bed the second time but when his limbs didn't move he panicked. Minho immediately rushed to his side at the sound of his distress and managed to sit Jonghyun up right. 
 
After calming down Jonghyun tried to get up only to be pushed down by Minho.
"You're going to Madame Park" he said sternly, Jonghyun never knew when to admit defeat, it was one of the qualities that made him a gryfinndor but also one of the qualities that irked Minho more than anything. "Min don't be silly, I don't need a nurse I just need this" 
 
Jonghyun held up a glass vial. Minho knew what it was and scowled, it was one of his potions; not his prescribed ones he was supposed to be taking to make him sleep but the ones he bought himself to take when his insomnia was taking a tole on his body. "He wouldn't need that if he just took what he's supposed to take"  
 
Minho was frustrated but held his tongue as he watched Jonghyun take the smallest sip of the liquid. It wasn't enough to get him through the day but it was enough for him to wash and dress himself.
Kibum was waiting for them outside their common room, he was picking at his nails when he saw Jonghyun looking paler than usual. Jonghyun could barely make it past the first flight of stairs before needing minho's assistance and by the time they got to the great hall Jonghyun was using both Minho and Kibum for support. 
 
Kibum always used to nag Jonghyun about his potions but he could never get through to him. He wasn't Jonghyuns mother and even their own mother couldn't talk Jonghyun into realising forced sleep is better than no sleep. It scared Kibum to death whenever he saw Jonghyun like this. Just the thought of him fainting while walking up or down stairs "and neither one of us being there to help" Kibum looked at minho and saw a similar expression on his face. 
 
By the time they sat at their table Jonghyun was fading in and out of consciousness. It was even a mission for him to lift his head. He had Kibum mix his potion into his drink, it was enough to keep him going until lunch. They were meant to go to Hogsmead that day and Kibum felt as if he needed the extra energy so he poured more than necessary into Jonghyuns drink. 
 
When Jonghyun was back to normal he tried his best to reassure the two that he was fine but he felt eyes on him and grew more and more paranoid he scanned the hall to see if  he was just seeing things. He saw Taemin looking right at him. After a few weeks of knowing Taemin it was easier to talk to him and to look at him without getting flustered. He saw Taemin was frowning and he recognised that was a look of concern. 
 
His heart stopped 
 
"Taemin is worried about me?" Jonghyun was overjoyed with the attention but realised how wrong that was "I made him worry"
 Jonghyun smiled the same reassuring smile at Taemin and saw the slytherins cheeks turn red "how cute" Jonghyun thought as he smiled wider "he must've been caught off guard too"
 
"Tutor and nothing more" Jonghyun  heard echo in his head. His smile dropped. they didn't sound like his words but they still struck a nerve. Jonghyun had the habit of getting attached very quickly and Taemin was no exception. To lessen the pain "that shouldn't be there in the first place" Jonghyun hummed the melody of his latest composition in his head. It was something he was immensely proud of and it took his mind of Taemin. 
 
*
 
All fifth years meet in the courtyard with their permission slips in hand. Taemin's parents ignored him but they never excluded him from his peers and gave their signature whenever it was necessary. 
 
After stopping by his favourite herbology shop Taemin, Kai and Krystal walked into a crowded honeydukes, their ominous black clothing were a contrast to the colourful interior of the sweet shop (Kai and Krystals hair however blended in perfectly) 
Taemin was busy picking out his favourite sugar quills when he spotted a terrified looking Jonghyun pressed against one of the walls on  the other side of the shop.
Taemin pushed through crowd to reach him and acted as a shield for Jonghyun so one else could crush him.
 
Jonghyun looked up, his eyes were rimmed with kohl, Taemin assumed it was to cover up his obvious exhaustion. Jonghyun opened his mouth but before he could say anything Taemin grabbed his wrist and pulled him out of the shop.
 
"Sorry you just looked like you wanted to get out of there so I-" "thank you Taemin" Jonghyun said calmly, without stuttering a single time. Jonghyun smiled and bowed slightly to show his gratitude and Taemin felt his heart flutter. 
 
It was autumn so the students began to dress warmly to prepare for the colder winter season. Jonghyun was wearing all white and was wrapped in a scarf that covered half his face, he had to pull it down in order to speak clearly. 
"Hi Jonghyun" Taemin heard a voice behind him and saw Krystal and Kai with smirks on their faces. Taemin realised they have been there the entire time and went bright red, Jonghyun on the other hand returned the greeting with a smile and wave "Jongin! Soojung! H-How are you two lately?" 
Taemin was shocked to say the least as he saw his best friends and his ......... His "Jonghyun? My Jonghyun? Well if that doesn't sound possessive then i don't know what does" having a casual conversation. "Wait so you all know each other?" Taemin pointed a finger accusingly between his friends and Jonghyun. 
 
Krystal sighed and Jonghyun giggled "honestly Taeminnie you're so thick sometimes. We're in the same year even some of the same classes! And besides" Krystal folded her arms across her chest "you think gossip goes around and I won't hear it? I mean our years best student" she said as she ruffled Jonghyuns platinum blonde hair "is tutoring our years worst student" She reached to ruffle Taemin's hair as well but he resentfully dodged it. 
"It's a hot topic" she added.
 
Taemin was never interested in gossip and from the looks of it neither was Jonghyun. He never took notice of what people were saying around him but now knowing people were talking about him and Jonghyun, it made him a little uncomfortable. He couldn't imagine what Jonghyun must be feeling.
 
"Sooo Jonghyun, why are you all by your lonesome?" Kai interjected. 
"A-ah well it's my fault really, what happened is that Minho and Kibum went to the front to go pay and I decided to stay behind and not get in the w-way but the shop got very full very quickly! And I suppose It was hard to see me over all those people" 
Jonghyuns voice grew quieter and quieter "they probably thought I left *gasp* they're probably looking for me now!" Jonghyun almost ran off but thankfully Kai was blocking his path.
 
"Jonghyun relax, you're not a baby, are you? You can handle being without them for a minute right?" That's where Taemin lost his cool "what the hell Kai?! Don't say that stuff to him! It's offensi-" "it's okay Taemin!" Jonghyun interrupted. The slytherins looked at him in surprise, it was the first time they really heard Jonghyun properly raise his voice.
 
 
"You're right, I'm not a child but I wouldn't want them to worry about me so if you'll excuse me" he stepped back, looked at all of them with an unreadable face and left in search of his brother and friend. 
Taemin turned to his friends who were looking apologetic "you told me that if I found a tutor I should be nice to them and here you guys are doing the opposite" 
 
"Listen Tae I really didn't mean anything by it" Kai said sounding genuinely sorry. "I'll go after him" Taemin said thinking "maybe I was the one to overreact, maybe Jonghyun doesn't care
He waved to his friends before turning in the same direction Jonghyun did.
 
*
 
Jonghyun was sitting on a bench outside his favourite non-muggle musical shop, Dominic Maestro's. The truth was he wasn't offended at all, he often heard people call him a child and dependent on his friends and it used to be hurtful but he developed a thick skin for words like those. 
 
He was just incredibly tired, his potion was wearing off and he needed to drink it mixed with something else to dilute it. It was far too strong in concentrate "But going to the Three Broomsticks by myself?" It was too great of a task for Jonghyun. 
 
He felt a presence beside him but didn't look to see who it was. He already knew. 
"I'm sorry if Kai offended you earlier he's really sorry and-" "I'm not offended" 
Taemin blinked at Jonghyun in confusion, "he wasn't? Then why did he run off?" Taemin's question was answered when Jonghyun began to yawn and he remembered the image of that morning, an exhausted Jonghyun and a potion. "Are you a light sleeper or something?" "What?" Jonghyun asked in between yawns. 
Taemin explained himself "you seemed really tired this morning and you always have dark circles under your eyes-" Taemin stopped himself when he realised he was being rude. 
 
"Yes, I guess I am but I'm not like that because of a bad nights sleep, I'm like that because I don't sleep. I can't" "cant sleep?" "Yeah it's my insomnia, I suppose it can be quite severe sometimes" Jonghyun continued not even realising he answered a question Taemin asked in his head. "Sometimes it just really gets to me and today is one of those times" he yawned once more.
 
"You never told me that" Taemin said as he was trying to process what Jonghyun had said to him. Jonghyun looked down not knowing what else to say other than "you didn't ask" 
 
Taemin was about to ask more when Jonghyun went limp, his body fell onto Taemin's side. He would've panicked if Jonghyun wasn't obviously breathing. 
 
"Taemin-ah?" "Hm?" "Will you help me get some water? I need it to take my 'medicine'" Jonghyun normally wouldn't ask for help but he didn't want to faint in the middle of Hogsmead. 
"Of course" Taemin said sounding sincere. He sat up from the bench and gently shouldered Jonghyun while he gripped his arm. To onlookers they looked like a couple, Taemin's face burned at the thought but continued on, walking slowly.
 
When they arrived to the three broomsticks it was filled with other students, too immersed in their own conversations to notice the blonde pair. As they sat down again (this time in a booth rather than a bench) Jonghyun slumped against Taemin's side, the waitress approaching them cooed at the "couple" while she took their orders. Jonghyun was too tired to correct her and Taemin didn't correct her for reasons he didn't know.
 
"Taemin-ah, I have this vial, could you please pour it into my butterbeer?" Jonghyun said desperately as he handed Taemin a glass vial. Taemin did as he was asked with no complaints. Jonghyun drank but still remained on Taemin's shoulder, he couldn't tell if the potion took long to show its affect or if Jonghyun didn't notice. He didn't mind either way, Jonghyun was unusually warm; he would've mistaken it for a fever but Jonghyun's face remained the same colour. It was a pleasant warmth, a comforting warmth, a warmth that he was pulled away from when he heard someone call his name.
 
"Yo Taemin! Jonghyun" Krystal and kai greeted in unison, they sat across the pair and Jonghyun lifted his head and created a slight space between then. much to Taemin's disappointment. Before they could even respond a panting Kibum and Minho rushed to their table "Jjong! Are you okay!?" They were expecting to see Jonghyun curled into himself, scared and on the brink of collapse; not comfortably curled next to Taemin. It was suspicious but their concern overshadowed their prejudice. 
"I'm fine, bummie, Minho, why don't you sit?" Minho was the first to sit in the booth, Kibum was apprehensive but refrained from making a face. 
 
To say it was awkward was an understatement. Kai and Krystal exchanged small talk with Kibum and Minho while Jonghyun chimed in every once in awhile. Taemin remained silent, he saw no need to contribute. Jonghyun was still radiating his calming warmth and Taemin was subconsciously inching closer to him until they were touching once again. Jonghyun didn't flinch or turn away as he normally would with sudden physical contact instead he smiled and whispered "don't you think it's nice? They're all getting along" Taemin didn't even realise his friends and jonghyuns were slipping into casual conversation. Kibum and Krystal were laughing and were speaking in hushed voices; obviously gossiping. Kai and Minho were talking about quidditch and were in a debate over who would take the house cup that year. 
 
It was nice. Two sets of people brought together because of what exactly? It looked like the two groups had nothing in common but here they were speaking as if they've been close for years. 
 
He would never say it out loud but he was truly grateful for meeting Jonghyun in the library, without him Jinki would've have paired him with some random ravenclaw that would call him stupid and get easily frustrated with him but lucky he had Jonghyun. He was smarter than any ravenclaw he knew and was understanding. When he first met Jonghyun he thought his brash nature would steer the gentle Jonghyun away but it seems they matched quite well. Taemin reached over the table and covered his hand over Jonghyuns. He wasn't surprised and his smile looked as if he was expecting it, Taemin smiled back and joined in the conversation.