Three

Protecting you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the end of the day, Yoseob was getting really exhausted from all the paperwork he had to do. Junhyung didn’t want to force him to do it but the smaller male knew that he sacrificed having a real secretary for Yoseob to be undercover and thus, he felt obliged to help as much as he could even if he wasn’t a real secretary.

Piling up a stack of files, he went out of the room so as to distribute the files to the relevant departments. He went to the Human Resource department, successfully avoiding Hara so as to not be held back by a long conversation on how Junhyung is her prince charming and almost knocking into Woohyun who scoffed when he helped to adjust the files on Yoseob’s arms. “That man sure knows how to throw his weight around.” Yoseob chose to ignore the spiteful remark and went on his way to distribute the files.

Two levels down he met Doojoon and Dongwoon, both of whom excitedly asked him to join for their next soccer game of which he agreed he would turn up to only if Junhyung was there too. After some chatting and more pinching of cheeks from Doojoon, Yoseob went another level down to the marketing and sales department.

The moment he set foot in the office, Hongki had ran up to him, hugging him as a form of greeting. “Yoseob! I heard that Jun came to work but I didn’t have the time to go up because I was stuck in a meeting! Maybe I can –“. “Hongki, finish up your report and submit it by the end of the day. Just because you are rich doesn’t mean you can avoid work.” A cold voice rang through the office, interrupting Hongki from completing his sentence.

Hongki had gave a soft yelp and ran off, muttering a ‘yes boss’ in the process. Yoseob stayed at where he was standing, his ears twitching at that familiar voice. The voice that he had not heard for years but was way too familiar for him. Turning to face the source of disturbance, Yoseob smiled and bowed politely, completely expecting to see him, “Hello, my name is Yang Yoseob and I’m Mr Yong’s newest secretary.”

A look of shock flashed past the man’s face but unless it was anticipated, nobody would ever noticed it. Yoseob was ready though and he smirked internally, knowing full well who it was.
An awkward clearing of throat later, the man gestured for Yoseob to enter his office which the smaller male gladly obliged. The moment the door closed, the man held on to Yoseob’s hand.

“What are you doing here? Weren’t you working as police man?”

Yoseob pulled his hands away, raising an eyebrow at him, “I decided I needed a change in my life and I wasn’t cut out to be part of the police force. So when I heard there was an opening and they paid well, with lodging and all, I joined.”

The man frowned and ruffled his hair in annoyance, “You’re staying with Mr Yong? Yoseob why are you doing this to me? You know how I would feel if you’re staying with somebody else, and all the more Mr Yong right?”

“Don’t read too much into this. We broke up ages ago and I’ve let you go ever since you left me.” Yoseob replied truthfully, cold and bitter at the thought of it but not the slightest bit affected by it anymore. “And no, I don’t know how you would feel and I don’t care how you would feel.”

The man sighed heavily, head bowed low as he whispered sadly, “You know the reason why I had to leave you. You know that if given a choice, I wouldn’t have left you. You know that I would always remember you.”

Scoffing slightly, Yoseob lifted an eyebrow and shook his head, “I knew the reason why you had to leave but no, you had the choice to stay or leave and you chose to leave. And the knowledge of me living in your memories does not soften the blow.”

“Yose—“

“In here, we are just colleagues so if there’s nothing more, I’ll be leaving, Mr Bang.”
With that, Yoseob left the room, closing the door behind him. He turned a little and whispered softly, “Mir, as much as you have disappointed me, I truly hope that you really wouldn’t be the one.”

------

Yoseob was sitting quietly in his room, thinking hard about the three suspects. Junhyung had explained why the three suspects were picked and Yoseob agreed that they were valid reasons. However, that did not bring any more clarity as to who was the most likely person. When the butler called Yoseob for dinner, Junhyung was already there and they sat in silence for a long while. Junhyung did not even lift up his fork and just continued staring at Yoseob. When the police officer finally withdrew from his thoughts and realised that, he placed his spoon down and cocked his head to the side, “What is it?”

Junhyung simply raised out three fingers for Yoseob to see. The police officer sighed and nodded his head, knowing full well what the older male was asking about.

“Yes, I saw suspect number three but I haven’t observed him long enough to figure out a motive. I know that you said that he was a likely candidate because of how he had always wanted to take over your role as the CEO. But honestly, he’s just the marketing head. Who in the right mind would promote him to be the CEO?”

The CEO nodded his head and begun eating, his eyebrows furrowed.
Suddenly he felt a light, constant patting on his back and he gazed enquiringly at Yoseob.

The police officer smiled comfortingly, “I know that you have strong reasons to pick these three and reading through your points that you wrote just now, I agree with them. But as of now, there are so many doubts I have for all three of them. Just give me a little more time to figure this out alright? Trust me on this. When we promised a maximum of three months to solve this case, it’s because we know we can. It’s not just to make you happy.”

Junhyung nodded mutely, staring blankly, until he felt something squishy pushing against his lips and he realised Yoseob was holding out a spoonful of rice, prompting him to open his mouth to eat it.
Opening his mouth, he ate it and smiled, ruffling the police officer’s hair and scooping a spoonful of soup for the smaller male who accepted it happily.

The fluttering of his heart started once again and there was the fear in him again. But

for now,

for tonight,

Junhyung decided to push the fear away for just a little while.

------

On the third day at work in the office, Yoseob was getting exhausted from all the work he had to do. Junhyung and he were too busy clearing his office duties and responsibilities that Yoseob had no time for his investigation work at all. Therefore, by the end of the day, he lay on one of the many couches in the living room, infuriated by his lack of progress on the case.

As he lay down, his eyes closed, his eyebrows knitted up and he was mumbling a whole string of grumbles and curses. Suddenly, his incessant stream of mumbled complaints halted as he felt someone gently lifting his head and placing it on something soft and warm, like he was on someone’s lap. Purring slightly as that someone had begun patting his head fondly, he opened his eyes only to meet Junhyung’s worried ones.

“I feel that I’m not doing enough for the case.”

Junhyung shook his, cupping his cheek and caressing it with his thumb before he bent down to give the smaller male a little peck on the forehead.

And there it was.

No words were needed, they never really were needed when it involved Junhyung.
But Yoseob felt his heart racing, his skin burning at the soft touches of the CEO, his eyes closing to stop himself from seeing the very face that invigorates him every morning.

The CEO seemed to have a calming effect on Yoseob and yet, at times, he made Yoseob’s heart palpitate at an unthinkable rate and it scared Yoseob so much, knowing the meaning of his pounding heart.
Behind his closed eye lids, Yoseob could picture the gentle smile of the man, the warm gaze of his and the perfectly shaped lips of his.

Seconds later, he felt Junhyung’s finger lightly tracing his face, from his eyebrows to his eyes, down to his nose, across his cheeks and dragging past his lips. It was as if the man was trying to remember the way Yoseob’s face was shaped and contoured and to feel it, to memorize it not just by sight but also by touch.

The smaller male closed his eyes tighter, telling himself, that

for now,

for tonight,

he would drop all professional responsibilities for just a little while.
------

Yoseob decided to translate his frustration at how slow things were progressing to something more functional and constructive. Thus, he decided to spend less time in Junhyung’s office and more at the suspects’ place. As the days passed, he found the likelihood of Hara being the murderer getting lesser and lesser as she was too simple minded and her emotions are so obvious for all to read. Junhyung had explained (more like written) to him, after his first day in the office, that the only reason why Hara would murder his parents was because his parents were highly adamant about Junhyung being with her. They had told her, nicely at first that she wasn’t suitable and Junhyung just wasn’t interested.

However, she had very rudely threatened to influence her father to withdraw from the business dealing if they don’t agree to their marriage. That was the last straw for Mrs Yong especially as she loves her son so much and will never want her son to feel forced into marriage. The night before their murder, Junhyung’s parents had set their foot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter