One

Protecting you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Do you know why you've been selected for this mission?"

  "Because I am smart and a good fighter?"   "Well, smart yes. Good fighter... I have my doubts."   Yoseob rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, "I can pull a few mean punches. You want me to prove it to you?"   "There's no need for that and besides, don't be rude. I'm your boss."   "Not of me."   "You're a police officer, I'm a senior inspector. Enough said."    "Whatever", Yoseob retorted.   Hyunseung chuckled for awhile before furrowing his brows and narrowing his eyes, "Alright, to be honest, you're the best person for the job. You don't look intimidating nor suspicious but you have the brains and yes, you can fight pretty well. You don't have a family or a lover, I'm sorry about that, but it also means you don't have any human liabilities  That's why we chose you for this.   I hope you understand how highly confidential your role is and that other than me or anybody else in my team, you do not reveal any information to anybody at all."   "Even him?"   "Tell him only what he asks for. I have no qualms about him knowing but make sure whatever that is shared is kept between the both of you only."   Yoseob sighed and started twirling a stray pen that was previously lying on the table with his fingers, "how long do I have to do this?"   "For as long as we arrest the murderer."   The petite sized policeman scoffed and pushed his chair back, casually flung the pen into a holder and stood up, turned his back towards Hyunseung and walked towards the door.   Bewildered, the senior inspector questioned, "Where are you going? You have no other questions?"   Yoseob turned his head slightly, his hands already on the door knob, "I've known what you needed me to know so now, I'm going to prepare myself."   "How?"   "Maybe by reading 'The basic guide to being a secretary'".    With that, he slammed the door behind him as Hyunseung laughed at the obviously exasperated man. 

------

Yoseob walked into what he calls the land of the rich in awe, muttering under his breath, 
"This is not even comparable to our headquarters. Do money grow on trees for this people?"
As he strolled in, he took extra caution not to step on the grass, keeping to the side of the road which he presumes people usually drive through in fancy cars.
He had decided to get his cab to drop him off at the main gates, because honestly, whose front door would ever be located so far away from the main gates? 
Therefore, when he was allowed through the gates and saw the unbelievably huge garden with its countless of fountains and perfectly chiseled statues, he felt completely under-dress and improper to even be allowed to walk in the path through the garden.

When he finally saw the front doors, he started to quicken his pace and slightly jogged towards them.
Just as he almost took a step out to cross the road path, a speeding sports car zoomed past him and literally blew him off his feet. He glared at the back of the car, oh wait, rather, the smoke left behind by the car, before sweeping the dust off his pants, stood up and continued his walk towards the doors.

The moment they opened, his jaw dropped as he scanned what he could see of the place. 
It was too big for him to take it all in in a glance.
The butler gave a friendly smile to him, but his eyes were still as wide as saucers, looking around disbelievingly as he followed behind the butler's footsteps.

"Young Master--, I mean Master Yong would see you in his study room." 

Yoseob could only give a single nod, continuing his stiff walk as he took in more and more of the place.
How this place could exist was beyond his knowledge. 
He always knew that there were rich people but well, he wasn't expecting this kind of rich.
Thinking of his small apartment that took him years to save up for, after paying off all his school loans, he frowned as a new thought struck him.
How lonely would this man feel now, in this huge place and having just lost his parents.

It was a ten minutes walk till they halted at the front of a room at the first level. 
The butler gave two soft knocks, announcing Yoseob's arrival, opened the door, pushed the small officer in and closed it, all within five seconds.
The police officer stood by the door awkwardly as his eyes met the eyes of the man that sat behind the study table.

Clearing his throat, he was about to speak when the man placed a finger on his lips and pointed to the door.
Yoseob turned to the door and wondered, who was there in the house who would eavesdrop on them and damn, this man couldn't even feel safe in his own home?
Locking the door, his attention returned to the man who was already on his feet, walking wordlessly to another, deeper part of the room. 

The policeman took that as a cue to follow and he did, closing and locking yet another door, this time a glass door, behind him.
As his fingers pushed the glass door, he frowned, it was soundproof. 
Now, his sympathy for this man has peaked. 
He knew from the case file all about this man's life and how he lead his life, but realising that feeling this insecure, this unsafe in your own home is just sad.

Taking his supposed place at the only empty chair in front of the man, he gave a grim smile, "You know what this is about right?"
The man nodded and passed him a file which he took and started reading through.
Only three pages into it, he slammed it shut and gazed at the man, "I can read this later. It's just what I should do while pretending to be your secretary yes?"
Another nod and he continued, "Who knows that I am a police man?"

The man pointed to himself and Yoseob probed more, "And?"
The man raised an eyebrow, his finger still on himself.

Yoseob nodded his head in acknowledgement, "So it's just you. You know the plan, I'm going to be around, even in this house.
I'll move in on the pretext that as your new secretary, I have plenty to learn. Since today is my 'job interview', I'll move in next week to not make it seemed too rush okay?"

The man nodded again and Yoseob sighed, "Jun--- I mean Mr Yong, I'm supposed to address you as that I assume. Would you ever talk again?"

An icy cold gaze fell on the police officer, causing goosebumps to rise on every inch of his skin which is really no easy feat. 
The man had stood up and walked out of the glass door, back to where he was sitting when Yoseob first entered, back to busying himself with work.
Yoseob sighed and excused himself out of the room, saying that he would see him again in a week's time.

When he emerged from the room, he walked for a minute or so and saw the butler smiling at and waiting for him.
Yoseob gave a small smile and thought, 'well at least there's someone here who's friendly.'
He reached the main living room area, eager to leave this large, empty space,  when he saw someone else settled comfortably on one of the exquisite which he doubted that he would ever dare to sit on. 

"Oh hi, I heard that you are here for an interview," the stranger gave an amiable smile and sauntered swiftly towards him with an outstretched hand.
"I'm Hongki, your possible future boss' best friend!" 

Yoseob took the hand but only for a second before he dropped it, narrowing his eyes at that unfamiliar man.
That smell. High end leather. One of the very few in the world. Undeniably...
"I'm Yoseob and please, next time watch out while driving."

"You were the one who fell down at the side of the road just now?! I'm so sorry! I didn't know anybody would be walking along there which was why I sped up!" 
Hongki exclaimed, grabbing Yoseob's hand and blinking his eyes cutely at him.

Snorting at the adult behaving like a child, Yoseob patted his head, "Forgiven. Just be more careful next time, Mr Hongki."

"So! Do you think you got the job? Junhyung never had a secretary that stayed longer than a month! Besides, he's the CEO now because of his parents' incident and so that means more expectations on being his secretary!"

"I got it", Yoseob stated simply, "I'm going to have to take my leave now and I guess I'll see you around when I start work?"

Hongki stared at him, mouth slightly agape, "You're hired?"

Yoseob turned and smiled sweetly, "Yes. So don't go speeding down that road again because now, someone would be walking along there and that person will be me."

Hongki gave a shout of laughter, the butler muffling his snicker behind his hand as Yoseob shut the door on his own, sashaying his way out.

------

A week later, Yoseob was in one of the many rooms of the mansion, unpacking his stuff. 
He glanced around his room, still amazed at how it was even bigger than his apartment.
Taking out all his clothes, he placed it in the wardrobe and muttered to himself, "My clothes can't even fill half of the wardrobe."
As soon as the words left his mouth, someone shoved him aside lightly and was hanging up a whole lot of other clothes, filling the wardrobe. 

"Mr Yong, there really is no need to---" Yoseob clamped his mouth shut as the CEO gave him a side eye and continued arranging the clothes.

"Master would like you to be appropriately dressed as his secretary and thus, he bought these new clothes for you."

Yoseob turned and looked at the butler who was holding a whole array of ties and cuff links out as the CEO continued reaching out for them and placing them in the wardrobe neatly in the different compartments.
"Why? Are my clothes too shabby?"

This time, the butler didn't reply but the silent man fixed his gaze on him and nodded firml
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter