chapter 2

Breakwater

When kyungsoo returned lee teuk the cafe owner was frowning at him on the coffee shop doorway, his arms crossed tightly on his chest.

He was in his late thirties oval shaped faced and angry eyebrows , congenial but he didn't like scenes.

" did you call the police?" kyungsoo asked

He shook his head. " i don't like the police. This friend......" lee teuk seemed to exaggerate his korean accent " she's crazy?"

 

" no. I know it looked that way just now , but no, she's not crazy. We haven't been that close lately-- since i left justice."

 Leeteuk's eye widened "she's a lawyer?"

 

"yes , but she hasnt been in a courtroom since law school. Im sure she didnt go to work today not looking the way she did just now." and acting, kyungsoo thought. "she's been borrowing my cottage for weekendd. She said she was a little burned out at work." 

" a little?"

"maybe more than i realized."

" drugs , she's on drugs." kyungsoo didn't argue with that.

 

 

 

 

 

Wedged on the floor of the car's back seat, tae yeon twitched and sobbed, no real words coming out, at least none that byun baekhyun could distinguish. He was in the back with her trying not to show the nazis up front how upset he was. He worked at the justice department with tae yeon. He was her ex... If he'd had his way though they still would be together. Lately though, he hadnt had his way about much of anything. And now whatever would happen baekhyun wanted to believe taeyeon would be okay.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Something was wrong.

Kim minseok paused to do a few leg stretches, a couple miles in his mid afternoon run. He'd come to a narrow road, a short spoke of the loop road that encircled the small chesapeake bay village of the yorkville , ia. In his forty eight hours there, minseok had discovered that getting around the village didnt take impressive navigation skills. 

Most of the houses-- year-round or second home -- were built in the 1940s and 1950s.

The cottage where kim tae yeon had spent the weekend was the second of the two small , older cottages on the dead end road.

He kept his pace slow , following the wider yet still quiet , road along the water , feeling the humidity building in the afternoon air.

He came to a small , old fashioned motel with its own dock. A couple of old guys in baseball caps smoked cigarettes on two benches above the water, watching fishing boats tie up for the day.

At firsr , even minseok didnt recognized kim jong in, his partner and back up , also an undercover agent - also a korean - looked as if he'd been fishing the chesapeake bay his entire life. He hopped off his boat on the rickety dock wearing a cargo pants and a beat up boat shoes. His brown skin and black hair set off a killer smile and killer eyes. Women and guys liked jong in. But he and minseok both swore off of live until they were back home their current assignment behind them.

Jong in was posing a guy who'd taken a month off to fish to get over his recent divorce, a cover designed to explain why he kept to himself. Locked in jong in's boat , minseok knew were state of the art communications equipment , tactical gear and weapons. If things get bad in breakwater minseok knew that he could count on jong in to help him kick and stay alive.

 

Minseok pretended to pause and catch his breath, although it would take more than a five mile run to really wind him. He worked his off on a regular basis to stay in shape.

 

Standing next to him, jong in tapped out a cigarette, then held up a pack to minseok. Minseok just shook his head. " smoking would kill you."

 

" so will women , or men if you roll that way , but the knowledge of my impending doom doesnt stop me." jong in replied.

 

In his regular life jong in didn't smoke , he was a nuts and seeds type of guy. He pulled out a lighter and lit a cigar as they were exchanging infos pointing here and there or at the water as if discussing some fishing methods and stuff.

 

Back in Washington , kyungsoo rang the doorbell to taeyeon's first floor georgetown apartment for the third time. But she instinctively knew her friend wasnt there.

 

Kyungsoo noticed the flower boxes on the front windows, which last spring tae yeon had planted with a mix of bright flowers but now were filled with dead leaves and stale, dry dirt. She loved her home. Jobs and men might come and go , she'd say, but she always would have her refuge. the neglected window boxes were just another sign, a trivial one , of tae yeon's mounting burnout. Before tae yeon suffered from depression the medication didnt agree with her but the therapy itself did the trick. 

 

Debating what else he could do. He walked down the street and finally decided to check on his cabin maybe its not too late to drive there.. He checked his watch. 4:30 pm with luck he could be there by 8..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The osprey...

Cold rain pelted onto taeyeons bare head and her red kayak, into the cockpit, drenching her to the skin. Lightning lit up the grey sky, followed by a roar of thunder. The waves had kicked up , frightening her. 

Sobbing , shivering, she tried to slow her racing thoughts and control the rush of panic , the sudden spasms in her arms and legs. Especially her legs. 

"why am i here?" she screamed.

Her words were lost in the wind, the rain , the pounding surf. She couldn't see. Everything was gray. Where was the land? Where was kyungsoo's cottage?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------

Work and life's been a little y so sorry guys.. 

Hope you like this chapter :)