Chapter 2

Frequency of the Wind

The Frequency of the Wind

 

Chapter 2

 

 

            Seungcheol was walking through the hill when he saw a tiny person standing on a big tree's branch, holding a rounded rope in his held and he was ready to jump. He didn't waste any second decided to run and jump out pushing the other to the ground. He was shocked and his mind was telling him that he did what was right to do. He didn't have to apologize after saving the other from falling to death. It was rather positive although his way seemed too dramatically done; he should have just approached the guy and told him it was not a good thing to do a suicide attempt instead.

 

            He didn't even realize he was yelling at the smaller kid, demanding for answer of the latter's recent activity. He saw the kid widened his eyes in shocked and trembled over his glaring eyes. He had feared the other out because of his tone. He instantly felt guilty and was about to apologize when suddenly, the other countered his words.

 

            Seungcheol wasn't in his right mind, that was for sure. Because out of nowhere, he didn't stop himself from exclaiming his thoughts louder after the throwback. His throat was getting even sore for spitting so much to make this kid's determination turned from 'to die' into 'to live'. Fortunately, after a short and hot debate, he succeeded to convince the kid. The kid finally surrendered, crying on his own stupid unreasonable intention. He finished his mission with a hug he gave to the kid. And the kid finally stopped crying, calmed by his warmth and loving hold.

 

            Soon later, he was the one at broke. They just talked about their problems, and he was immediately reminded by the ugly truth about his messy and decayed life. He shreded tears when his forgotten brother came to his mind, and at that chance, he was the one who was comforted. The kid enveloped him in a soothing embrace and a caress so soft that he thought it was a feather that fell on his back. He didn't find it disturbing, instead he was feeling so serene and peaceful. The other—didn’t want him to be overwhelmed by sadness anymore—even made him smile by the lamest joke he had ever heard before.

 

            "Choi Seungcheol." he introduced himself for the first time and presented his right hand in front of the small figure, which the other took gladly and responded by his own name too.

 

            "Jihoon. Lee Jihoon."

 

            For a minute, he was stunned by Jihoon's bright and sparkling smile. He had never seen a smile so sincere given to him in all his twenty years of life. It was too beautiful for him that he had gone speechless.

 

            "So, I guess I should call you 'hyung' since you're definitely older than me, am I right?" Jihoon started, feeling Seungcheol wouldn't begin the conversation judging by the blank stare the older is giving him. Seungcheol's thought was clicked by Jihoon's voice and he nodded, trying to compose himself again.

 

            "Yeah, sure. But you can call me without honorifics if you want. I don't really mind it as much as people do." He offered, and he swore he just saw Jihoon widened his eyes at that statement. "Besides, you are like… only a year younger than me. It's not a big deal."

 

            Jihoon bit his lips, pouted and fiddled the hem of his sleeves, looking away from Seungcheol in process. "It's not polite for me to call you by name only though."

 

            Seungcheol had to stifle his laugh at the statement when he saw Jihoon being as starched as a person could be. He patted Jihoon's shoulder, once again comforting the other's stiff position. He grinned ear-to-ear with his dimples shown clearly. The person facing him was definitely one of the most interesting person he had come across. With that baby face that everyone would expect to be a middle school student, Jihoon had the mentality of a robot in his last term of age. He even thought Jihoon was only twelve or something.

 

            "Polite in my perspective. So… Seungcheol it is." Seungcheol winked and thumbed up. Jihoon's stoic expressions once again turned so bright causing Seungcheol not wanting it to disappear.

 

            "Well, Seung..cheol…" Jihoon began again, hesitant if he offended Seungcheol, which the other in contrary responded with a simple nod. "What exactly are you doing here? I thought it's rare for people like you to know this side of the town."

 

            "People like me? What that makes me?" Seungcheol asked, chuckling at Jihoon's flat expressions that cameback in instant. Was his appearance really mighty that Jihoon expected him to come from a wealthy family? Or maybe Jihoon thought he was a guy that spends most of his time in a club, never in mind of resting his day off near a lovely hill with sunset in sight? Curiosity built after Jihoon stammered at his words, looked like he didn't have the words to explain what he really had in thought.

 

            But before Jihoon could stabilize his own voice, Seungcheol heard a yell from afar that called a name he was familiar to.

 

            "Jihoon-hyung! Are you there?"

 

            Less than a minute passed by, he caught the sight of a small teen; probably fifteen by age; running up the hill with worries scattered across his face. Seungcheol scanned the slightly-taller-than-Jihoon kid and noticed the kid wore the same uniform as Jihoon. With some resemblances with Jihoon, Seungcheol could tell that the kid was the 'brother' Jihoon talked about earlier. Seungcheol watched as Jihoon's brother approached Jihoon as he stabled his breath. Jihoon's face was paused in shock.

 

            "Jihoon-hyung… What the hell are you doing in here? When I told you I'll cook, you should just wait until I finish the dish, not running away without anything being informed!" he exclaimed to the older and Seungcheol gulped when he saw Jihoon gaped at his brother. He seemed like he didn't have a reason to be explained.

 

            "I-I… I was…" Jihoon stuttered before he glanced at Seungcheol, asking for help to save him. Seungcheol was about to say something, but stopped after he heard Jihoon's brother began to tear up. His cheeks puffed like a meat bun and his eyes were red. His nose sniffed like no tomorrow which he covered by his right hand. It was such a disgraceful sight that Seungcheol brought Jihoon's eyes to turn back at the younger.

 

            "I was really, really scared when you were gone. I thought you would run away from me and never comeback." the tears raged and wet the fair skin of his cheeks. Jihoon immediately walked towards the boy, hugging the taller with his face burried at the small shoulder. Even though it was muffled by the sweater, Seungcheol could hear him crying his heart out, following his brother to the endless sorrow.

 

            "I-I'm sorry, Chan… I'm so sorry that I make you feel lonely… I'm so sorry that I intended to left you alone… I'm so sorry…"

 

            "… It's okay, hyung… It's okay…"

 

            Seungcheol watched as Chan returned the hug he was receiving, and Seungcheol could only smile at the two high schoolers that finally got their calls. He wondered when he could be like that with his own little brother, comforting each other in their embraces without anything to be pride on. Although he knew, it was definitely impossible, judging by his actions towards the other causing him to build such a bitter relationship he didn't wish to have. It was pathetic.

 

            Chan was the first to let go of the hug and he looked at his older brother with his eyesmile. He wiped up his own tears to make a clearer view at the older. He mumbled in his cheerful tone. "You look like a mess, hyung."

 

            Jihoon responded with his seldom weak smile, ruffling Chan's hair that made Chan protested how messy his hair had become. Jihoon plastered a laugh at Chan's expression before looking at Seungcheol and waved his hand, which he responded with a grin to assure he was fine to wait. Seungcheol found Chan with furrowed eyebrows in confusion at his brother's action but the younger only brushed it off while shaking his head.

 

            "By the way, hyung, let's leave this place quick before you can catch a cold." Chan said which made Jihoon nod. He hugged himself, shivering could be seen.

 

            "It's  freezing out here. How could you be outside alone without anyone beside you?"

 

            Seungcheol's smile fell at the question Chan had uttered. He looked at the two figures in front of him and slowly looked down to his hand. Why's his body suddenly felt so transparent?

 

            "What are you talking about? Can you see Seungcheol beside me?" Jihoon was taken aback. He glanced at Seungcheol in an instant and was shocked by the sight in front of him.

 

            Seungcheol was drenched in blood and was seen through by his eyes. He barely had a voice to call out at the 'man' next to him. "S-Seungcheol?"

 

            Suddenly, Seungcheol's memory played before his eyes where he reviewed his past. He had himself walking on the street with his headphones in his ears, hip-hop music surrounded his brain and he enjoyed the feeling of listening to loud music in the midnight airs. He put up his hoodie to cover his head, preventing himself from the cold autumn air that blew. It shielded his sight and he didn't realize a flash of light approached him from his left as he crossed a big damn road by the zebra-cross. And it happened so fast, after that he didn't remember how he fell into the depth of the darkness where pain was the only thing he could felt. He closed his eyes; the flashback making him speechless rather than sad. He opened it up again and saw the look of shock stuck onto Jihoon's face. He realized something he did forget for a moment.

 

            "So I was dead after all."

 

 

+++++++++

 

A/N: I actually split this chapter into two parts, because it's too long. XD  and.. I update this fic too unconstant... Sorry :( 

By the way.. SUPPORT SEVENTEEN FOR MAMA AND MMA, GUYS~~