Prologue

Frequency of the Wind

"Jihoon hyung? Are you sick?"

A deep but soothing voice called Jihoon out of his dream. He opened his eyes, trying not to be shocked by the light that came straight into his orbs. He looked at the ceiling above him and found a young man was staring in worry. Jihoon rubbed out his eyes as he sat up, finding himself was sleeping on the sofa in his house's living room. The man instantly hesitated when he realized Jihoon was actually having a slumber nap just a minute ago.

"Oh, you don't have to get up if you are actually sick, hyung!" he panicked. Jihoon glanced at him, not grumbling about how he was sleepy, instead he was smiling softly at the younger, assuring he was okay.

"It's okay, Channie. I'm not sick.", he heard the other sigh in relief. He could tell the other was worried about him. 

Chan was still in his full attire, with the scarf their mom made especially for him when he won the school talent competition. His cheeks were still red by the cold weather storming outside their small house. He was even still wearing his shoes. That shoes Jihoon bought as Chan's thirteenth birthday with the salary of two months part-time job. Jihoon wondered why Chan didn't bother to buy a new pair of converse. Chan had the money by his first rank at school if he remembered well.

"You look sick enough to me." Chan carefully put his palm on Jihoon's covered forehead, pouting when he felt the heat conducted to his skin. He took off his scarf as he put it around the older's neck. Shifting the scarf to make it more comfortable, Chan brushed the bang over the forehead of his brother. "I guess it's between 38 to 39 degrees. You should get a lot of rest today, if necessary tomorrow too. Drink a lot of water and don't endure to eat."

Jihoon forced a weak smile. He started to feel the wave of unidentified warmth spread across his body. Although he didn't realize he was sick, he knew he had to trust his brother for this health problem. His brother is smart, so much smarter than he was. For what was his brother given a subsidy from the school for skipping a grade then if not to study things like this.

"Yes, yes, Mr. Doctor." Jihoon brushed his fingers through Chan's spiky raven hair, receiving a frown from the latter.

"I don't want to be a doctor, Jihoon-hyung… You know my dream is to be like Michael Jackson-sunbaenim." 

Jihoon laughed by the response, followed by a quiet sneeze. Chan instantly got up and reached out for the tissue box, giving it to his brother which Jihoon accepted gladly. Chan observed his pale-looking brother before he pushed his brother into laying position. "Don't push yourself too much to accompany me, Hyung. Just get some sleep for now. I'll make you porridge and your favorite earl grey."

Chan undressed his coat and shoes beside the sofa, stormed to the kitchen and wore the apron his mother usually attached on. He looked over his shoulder, scanning the short guy who began to close his eyes to follow his instructions. He smiled, decided he had to think what kind of porridge that would make Jihoon felt better. 

Chan remembered the memories when he was still a spoiled kid that always annoyed his older brother. He used to put salt on Jihoon's bread when it was breakfast time, hide the elder's shoes when he was going to go to school, or hack the laptop's password so Jihoon couldn't get into his own desktop. But it was in the past, when their parents were still by their side, listening to their bickering to each other like no tomorrow. It was different from the reality now.

It was all began when a cruise ship accident occurred, and their parent's didn't get to save themselves. The two of them were left alone at the huge house, crying over and over again to overcome the amount of sadness spread across them. It was such a relief that their aunt was kind enough to pay for their living cost and school fees, although they had to leave from the house they had stayed for ten years long. Fortunately, Chan's a genius in brain so the scholarship program gladly took him in place, even made him skip one grade. They were lucky to live a normal life once more.

Not until a rumor about Jihoon was flowing around the school area. Jihoon was caught up having a crush on his classmate, that was Chan had heard from people. As long as he knew Jihoon, Jihoon wasn't a homoual. But the wind said the otherwise and he couldn't care less. He believed his brother more than anyone. He believed Jihoon could explain things to him. The unexpected thing was it was all true, that Jihoon had a crush on guys. Nevertheless, he didn't care and hate that part of his brother and still love him like he always do.

Despite his careless stance over the rumors, Chan was faced by the amount of hate and negative comments scattered at his identity. 'The brother of the homo' or 'He must have been a homo too like his brother', was the two ultimate mocked he would always get when he arrived at school. At that rate, his cool personality began to show up slowly and slowly that his ear was covered completely by the follow up rumors. He knew it was for his developing mentality. He knew it would turn into a good thing at the end.

That was what he thought when he heard Jihoon's name being mocked as he walked throughout the school hall. 


++++++


Hansol opened the door to his mansion only to find it covered by darkness and sickeningly quiet. He didn't even bother to overcome his phobia of the dark as he the light, guessing the hall to be empty like there hadn't been human lived in there. The carpet was full of dust and he could see a spiderweb nesting on the corner of the room. A stack of dishes rested untidily on the counter, clearly unwashed by the amount of flies floating to surround them. The newspapers laid on the floor never have been cared by the people that lived in the murky mansion.

Nonetheless, he had already used by this atmosphere. He always arrived at home cheered by the situation perfectly the same. He knew his schedule was too busy to spend the time relaxing at home, maybe searching if his look-up rappers have already got a comeback or playing the video games his friends usually talked about at school, like Starcraft or League of Legends. He used to play Final Fantasy after school hours when he was in primary school, but not anymore since he got his side job as a rapper and a model. 

He never had thought he would be a celebrity though he did all of them to pay for his school bills, considered that his father was at broke in the meantime. His father was a famous writer when he was little. The wall came when Hansol's mother faced death because of unexpected heart cancer in his twelfth year of life that his father didn't even had a good mentality anymore. The father that usually stayed at home, welcomed him home, had became a drunk ahjusshi you'll find on the street. It was even worse with his brother did not give any single effort to look after his father's bad behavior.

He had had a brother. A man named Choi Seungcheol that was his respected role-model when he was toddler, only three years apart if you counted his age. Hansol had to be honest he did have a brother-complex for sometime in his childhood. Who wouldn't have if his brother was a good-looking, good at sport and fatherly man with a great score listed on his report form and an amazing ability in music. The elder and Hansol liked to hang out together, listening to overrated hip-hop music and competing basketball Seungcheol bragged about his godly ability. Only it was years ago before the man was encountered by his said disgusting father that he turned into a monster.

Seungcheol didn't go home or do things with him again, and if he was at home, he just ignored Hansol like he was a stranger. He sometimes even had Hansol do the chores with the punishments if he didn't do it Seungcheol wouldn't pay his school bills. The economic management was given to Seungcheol since he was the eldest after his father, but Seungcheol never had a care to manage it well. Hansol always asked why the amount of money in the back could decrease significantly although he had already got his salary from filming a CF or thousands photo-shoot he had to do. But Seungcheol's answer didn't cover his curiosity. 

Listening closely if someone could be home, Hansol walked towards the room at the back, the room he should see a man sleeping in his mid forties. He opened up the door, heaving a sigh of relief the middle-age man had gone to sleep instead of drinking some wine or soju. Sounded so slumber, Hansol decided to close the door and turned his attention to the other room he would guess it was lost by presence. He pushed the door and heard the creaking sound like it was in a haunted house. He gazed over the dark room, nodded when he knew it was definitely empty. 

He was about to dismiss himself to his assigned room when he was surprised by the loud ring of the phone he had on his pocket. He instantly reached out the phone and furrowed his eyebrows when he didn't recognize the number who called him. He shrugged his shoulder and answered the phone with his usual tone, not hesitancy was left. 

"Yeoboseyo. This is Choi Hansol answering."

He could hear a crowded noise roamed against his ear and people screaming, like they were panicking over something important. He listened for a voice that seemed like the caller and found a familiar tone to slip into the noisy background. He wondered why it was like an earthquake was occurred at the other line. Not long after, the familiar voice finally made his way to the phone and answered Hansol.

["H-Hello…? Hello...? H-Hansol-ah…? Are you there?"]

"Yeah, I'm here. Is there something wrong, Junghan-hyung?" Hansol shifted himself on the couch of the living room and put down his bag. His heart beat faster when he caught a crying tone came from Junghan, his brother's best friend. He was prepared for the worst that could come from the older's mouth. Then he heard the phone was passed to another person, who Hansol could guess it was Jisoo, that usually was with Junghan and Seungcheol. Junghan's crying still could be heard even though the phone was already in different person's hold.

["Hansol… please don't be panicked, okay. This is urgent and you have to go to town hospital as soon as possible. Don't wake up your father, he could be in a heart attack if you bring him here."] Jisoo's voice was as serious as he could be. 

Hansol's fingers began to tremble that his minds started to think of bad things that his brother could face. Tears formed under his eyebag and flowed down his cheeks. "W-Why… should I go… to the hospital?"

["Hansol…"] Jisoo called out his name, like he was in the urge not to cry as well. ["…. Seungcheol was hit by a truck tonight…"]

 

+++++++

 

So that's the prologue! It's mostly from Chan's and Hansol's POV, but the actual story is from Seungcheol's and Jihoon's POV. It's a little long.. okay it's very long for a prologue but it pictures everything you should know before understanding the plot of the story, so please read it, please? :D