EunHae 2

The Catwalk Series

Rating/Warning : PG-13 for angst and character deaths (not main char though)

And this is my first somewhat succesful attempt at angst. I don't think it could be called angst though, I'm not sure, my brain is a bit fuzzy about this....

 


 

The first time Hyukjae met Donghae was at the small chapel on Seoul Metropolitan Hospital.

Hyukjae needed time to get away for a bit. He needed some room to come to term with his current situation. His mother’s worsening condition was like a physical blow to his 15 years old body and his father’s sunken eyes only made the pain more tangible. As he roamed around looking for a secluded spot, he saw the sign for the chapel somewhere down the hallway. With heavy step, he made his way there and pushed the door open.

He sneaked in and went to the end of the last pew before he fell to his knees and prayed like he never prayed before. He felt tears slid down his cheeks and he fought hard to swallow the sob lodged in his throat.

Then he heard it. Another sobbing sounds from further up. Wiping his cheeks hastily, he slowly stood up and caught sight of a brown mop of hair of a boy around his age, hunched down with shaking shoulders. They were the only two there, and for some unknown reason, Hyukjae felt a sudden sense of camaraderie. There was another boy, too young and not ready to face the hardship of the world, just like him.

Hyukjae didn’t notice but his feet had taken him to the boy’s side. When he came to himself, he was already sitting beside the crying boy. The crying boy noticed him and looked up at Hyukjae from underneath his bangs. The boy noticed the tear tracks on Hyukjae’s cheeks and smiled deprecatingly.

“You too?” He asked with raspy voice.

Hyukjae nodded and rummaged around in his pocket, producing a handkerchief."Here." He offered it to the boy beside him.

The boy took the monogrammed handkerchief and used it to clean his face and blew his nose.

“I’ll return it to you after I washed it.” He said to Hyukjae as he pocketed the ruined handkerchief.

Hyukjae just shrugged. “You can keep it if you want. I have plenty at home. I’m Hyukjae by the way.”

Donghae nodded. “I’m Donghae, and my father is dying.” He blurted before fresh tears fell down from his chocolate eyes.

Hyukjae draped an arm around Donghae’s shoulder. “My mom’s too.” He croaked before he too started crying silently.

Hyukjae didn’t know how long they sat there in the silent chapel, his arm around Donghae’s shoulder and Donghae’s head rested on the crook of his neck. They cried together. His was silent while Donghae’s was heartbreaking with hitched breath and broken sobs.

They broke apart when Hyukjae’s phone rang. He slid his arm off Donghae’s shoulder and checked his phone. It was his father. He sighed and rejected the call.

“I need to go back to my mom.” He said apologetically to Donghae as he stood up.

Donghae straightened up and stood up too. “I’m going to check up on Aboji too.”

Hyukjae raised his hands and wiped Donghae’s cheeks. “We’ve had our fill of crying. Now stay with him, never leave his side. Let’s not have any regret.” He said with a small smile.

Donghae nodded and leaned into Hyukjae’s hands. “I will. You too. Stay with her and-“ Donghae couldn’t finish his sentence because another sob broke out of him.

Hyukjae understand nonetheless. He stepped closer and hugged Donghae briefly.

“Be strong Donghae. I’ll be strong too.” He whispered before he let go of Donghae and walked out of the chapel without looking back.

Donghae only looked at Hyukjae’s small back and grasped the handkerchief inside his pocket tightly. He send a quick thank to the other boy before he too walked out of the chapel.

After that, they never visit the chapel again. They stayed with their dying loved ones until the end.

Donghae was lying tucked beside his father on the small hospital bed when the older man breathed his last.

Hyukjae was sleeping on the uncomfortable chair with his hands holding her mother’s when she closed her eyes forever.

Donghae sobbed and Hyukjae cried silently. They had been there when their parent passed away, and they had been thankful, because it was one less regret and guilt to bear. They thought of each other for a brief moment and the memory of their shared times on the chapel made them just that little bit stronger.