Two - [U]nderstanding

Beside you, together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Try our restaurant's new lemon cake", Doojoon instructed as he placed the dainty plate on the table and sat opposite Yoseob.

Yoseob gave a little huff and cracked his knuckles subconsciously, "I don't really have the appetite."

"It will bring your appetite back. Try it." The chef insisted, excited for his friend to try his new creation as he had recently expanded his skills to baking and pastry. 

The small male took a small bite of the cake to satisfy the persistent man and smiled in acknowledgement of the taste.
"Not bad. It leaves a sweet aftertaste though. Isn't this lemon?" 

Chuckling mysteriously, Doojoon leaned back against the chair and crossed his arms together, "I'll give you the answer if you tell me what's troubling you."

Yoseob furrowed his brows and fidgeted on his seat, "I'm not troubled."

"Oh please, you came here even before my restaurant is even open on a normal working day. So obviously, you took leave from work.
And judging by how your boyfriend is not leeched to you, it's highly likely that he is the source of your troubles."

Unable to lie or deny anything, the smaller male nodded his head as he stared at the cake, trying to focus on it rather than think about what happened the previous night.
He had reached home at dawn, his eyes all swollen and he knew he wasn't in the mood to go to work. 
He had taken a long shower, trying to prevent himself for crying more and changed out of his dirty clothes.
After preparing and having a simple breakfast alone, he called in sick, only to receive a call from Junhyung a minute later.

Junhyung had told him that he went drinking, not that Yoseob had no idea, and was too drunk so helpful Mr Son had drove him back to his place for him to stay the night.
Yoseob had mustered all his courage and will to keep his voice bright and chirpy, acting like nothing had happened.
However, the moment he hung up, he glared and scoffed at his phone. 
That Mr Son sure was helpful, too helpful in fact.

 

"So... what happened?" Doojoon asked gently, leaning forward now and patting Yoseob on the head.

"There's this really important CEO that Junhyung is working with on a huge project.
For the past week, he has been caught up with the project and we barely spent any time together.
I'm okay with that but just yesterday when I went to look for Junhyung for lunch, I can't help but feel that the CEO might be interested in Junhyung.

Then, Junhyung promised to be home by 9 to finally spend some time with me.
However, a little after midnight when I called him for the nth time, that CEO picked up his phone and told me that Junhyung was drunk in a pub.
When I arrived there, they both were making out.
And when I say making out... I meant passionately.

I was such a coward. I ran away after that and well, here I am."
Yoseob's voice became lower and softer as he spoke, tears glistening in his eyes as the image of Junhyung kissing another man surfaced in his mind once again.

“That idiot”, Doojoon cursed under his breath, seeing how broken and hurt Yoseob looked but also knowing that Junhyung was probably really drunk and did not know what had happened. He tilted Yoseob’s chin to look into his eyes, “What’s your plan now?”

Yoseob shook his head as the tears flowed out of his dark orbs, “I don’t know. I don’t blame him but I can’t get that image out of my head. Doojoon ah, that man was touching Junhyung publicly at places that even I get shy about when touching. It’s… It’s hard to not think about it.”

“Honey.”

“What?” The smaller male asked weakly, too drained and tired to guess what Doojoon was talking about.

“Honey. That’s what left the sweet aftertaste even though it’s a lemon cake.” The chef commented without a hint of a smile, as if he was saying something easily comprehensible and important in the middle of such a conversation.
He gave a toothy grin as he see the confusion lingering on the smaller male’s face.
“I promised an answer if you told me what’s troubling you. So that’s the answer. Honey.”

The younger man could barely move his head to produce a nod, still unsure of how to react to his strange friend who was concerned about him at one moment but have now seemingly moved on to a whole new topic.

“Aren’t you going to ask me anything? Like why did I choose honey instead of other sweet stuff like caramel? Or like how did I add it to the cake, did I drizzle it on or did I mix it with the essence or what? Not going to ask me anything?”

“Should I?” Yoseob was thoroughly confused, puzzled as to why Doojoon was so insistent on talking about the cake at this point of time.
Sighing exasperatedly, Doojoon grabbed Yoseob’s shoulders and shook it, “Do you not get what I am trying to imply?” He groaned when Yoseob shook his head timidly. “Ask! Yoseob ah! Ask the questions that you need to ask! If you are to continue sitting here, guessing this and that, thinking of this and that, your imagination will run wild! So rather than speculating, go and ask Junhyung about this issue. Clarify it with him!”

“But… I don’t want to come across as a crazy, insecure, easily jealous boyfriend.”

“Gosh, who cares if you are? If that’s who you are, he has to know what he is up for. And the fact that you saw him having a full blown making out session with someone else but all you did is cry shows that you are not that terrible a lover.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter