of

Game Changer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

      The bus ride made the girl a bit uncomfortable, solely due to Jackson’s presence. At least this time he gave her a bit of space when she put earbuds in. Once they came to her normal stop, Yejin was the first one up. She waited as all of the boys piled off the bus, talking and playing with one another. She still had headphones in, but her music was paused. The girl let the boys lead the way as she stayed towards the back of the group and slowly trailed along, feeling out of place.


 

      Upon arriving at Youngjae's house, the group waited near the doorstep as the boy unlocked the front door. Yejin had never been over a guy's house before, but kept herself calm knowing that it was with a group and they'd only be inside for a second. The interior was a replica of her own home, so the girl felt comfortable. The boys kept talking amongst themselves about who knows what as they threw their bags on or near the couch in the living room.


 

      "Are you all hungry? My mom just went grocery shopping," Youngjae said to everyone as he was walking out of the room and into the hall. The boys let out sounds of agreement and wasted no time following their friend to where the food was. Yejin decided to pull out her earbuds and tuck her phone away in her bag. Youngjae was over in the corner rummaging through a cupboard as the other boys were at various spots in the kitchen foraging for whatever they thought looked good. The girl didn't feel comfortable ransacking someone else's kitchen, so she sat at the dining table and watched as the guys collected what they wanted.


 

      "Yejin, what do you like to eat? You can take anything, I don't mind," Youngjae called out from the other side of the room as he was opening up a box of cheez-its.


 

      "I can cook for you, I'm an amazing chef," Bambam said as he grabbed fruit from the refrigerator. Yugyeom looked at his friend and made a face as he grabbed an apple from the bag Bambam was holding.


 

       "How come I've never seen you cook then?' the taller boy said as he bit into the fruit. Yejin stopped paying attention to them when Youngjae and Jaebum sat across from her at the table with their own snacks. Soon enough Jinyoung joined them with his bag of chips. Youngjae slid the box of crackers towards the girl as Mark pulled out the chair beside her and sat down with a sandwich.

 

      

      "Here, eat this," Jackson said once he joined them and took the seat on the other side of the girl. He sat down two cups of instant ramyum and handed her a set of chopsticks. He started eating and peaked at her when she pulled back the lid and saw the melted cheese on top of the noodles.


 

      "Thanks," she said quietly before mixing up the noodles and picking some up to eat.


 

     "Look at Jackson being thoughtful for once," Jaebum said while munching on a handful of pretzels. The youngest two came and stood near the end of the table since there were no more chairs left.


 

     "Of course you're going to be nice to someone you like," Bambam said as he took a sip from his water bottle. Yugyeom elbowed him, telling him to shut up. Yejin rolled her eyes as she chewed her noodles. Jinyoung brought up the topic of basketball and the boys began to plan out what type of game they would play.

 

      

      "We can do 4 vs 4. Yejin, how good are you?" Jinyoung said. The girl shrugged her shoulders as she scraped around the bottom of the cup to grab the last bits of food.

 

      

       "She's as bad as me. We played against each other yesterday and she didn't get a single point," Youngjae said with a laugh. Yejin looked at him and shook her head, chewing her last mouthful before speaking.


 

       "You only made one basket. And that was because it was the last one so a higher power must have felt bad and made you not so terrible for a second," she said. This made a few of the guys laugh.


 

       "So they won't be on the same team..." Jinyoung said, taking mental notes.


 

       "You can be on my team, I'll show you how to make free throws every single time," Jackson said as he took both of their dishes and threw them away and put the chopsticks in the sink.


 

       "So, Jackson and Yejin on one team. Who is the next best?" Jinyoung asked.


 

       "Me of course," Yugyeom said with a touch of excitement.


 

       "Being tall doesn't automatically make you good," Mark said. Some of the guys ooohed at this. The group kept going around and talking about who was skilled in what until they came up with two teams. The first consisted of Jackson, Yejin, Jaebum and Mark while the other was made up of Jinyoung, Youngjae, Yugyeom and Bambam. They went outside and Yejin mimicked some of their movements as the boys stretched and warmed up for the game. Wanting to keep it simple and fun, the current rule was whichever team earned ten points first won. The girl didn't know much about these boys, but she hoped they weren't too competitive.


 

       "The is the first time in awhile that we haven't had a ref." Mark noted as they were about to start the game.


 

       "Yeah, it's also the first time in a while that Youngjae gets to play instead of being the ref," Jaebum said as he picked up the ball and started dribbling.


 

        "Yejin, you can just pass it to me if you want, okay," Jackson said to her. She knew he was trying to not imply that she . The girl just nodded at this and kept it in mind, not wanting to jeopardize her team's chance of losing, even though this game was just for fun.


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter