Fourth grain of Rice

A Bowl of Rice

Fourth story

 

Characters: Daehyun (only)

Genre: Horror

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Daehyun was a married man with no children. He and his wife were happily married to each other, with both having a great job and nice neighbors. They had a two-story house and a large kitchen and lovely living room. It’s been two years ago since they moved in their house. Unintentionally the wife became pregnant and with a lot of thinking and consideration, they decided to abort the unborn child and quickly move on with their lives.

 

 

Daehyun and his wife were talking about work, and the wife said that she would be coming home late tomorrow so that Daehyun shouldn’t wait for her. So did Daehyun. The moment he came home he went straight to his bedroom and duck into bed. But he saw that his wife was already in bed sleeping, and he didn’t want to make her wake up and laid down next her. He was about to fall asleep and suddenly his phone vibrated, he was too tired to answer the phone. It rings again and this time, Daehyun sits up straight to answers the phone.

 

 

“Hi honey, I finished my paperwork and I’m on my way. I’ll be home about five minutes. See you soon, bye. “

 

 

And the phone got disconnected. Daehyun felt his heart racing and froze on the spot. He got a phone call from his wife that is lying beside him in bed right now, how is that even possible. A sharp pang pierced through his heart as he leaned in to see what was under the sheets and so close to him. The grave feeling, he had was enormous, he forced himself to uncover the sheets. But without him doing so the thing under the cover moved and rise up. Daehyun backed away by reflex with his eyes glued at the unknown bulb. It was just his wife. Daehyun was taken aback, seeing his wife in front him made him laugh. The lovely wife prank calling him. But her face says something else. There is horror in her eyes, she had a disturbing expression and was about to cry out loud.

 

 

“Daehyun? “

 

 

“How did you do that? Did you record it before I came home? “ Daehyun didn’t give in and ended the deadly silence that filled the room.

 

 

“Daehyun… That was not me that you were talking to just now. “

 

 

“What do you mean that that wasn’t you. It was clearly your voice. Are you joking with me right? “ Daehyun was waiting for an answer.

 

 

The wife did nothing but stare at Daehyun and shortly after the dead silence, she shook her head in defense against his words, to make it clear she is serious about him.

 

 

“I got a call exactly the same as you yesterday, but it was in your voice. And the day before too. But you were already home so I didn’t give in and didn’t talk about it. So I waited for the right moment to tell you about it.”

 

 

And it went silent again. She was clenching her fists so hard that Daehyun took her hands in his hands, palpating her upper hand for his wife to relax. She inhaled and let her lungs fill with oxygen before losing up.

 

 

“It must be someone knowing us and prank calling us. Don’t worry, I’ll just ask about it tomorrow and will find out who it was.” Daehyun tried to reassure his wife. But both had this sinister feeling creeping up.

 

Not too long after that, Daehyun got a call. The caller id is the same as when his wife calls him. He still takes the call, holds it to his ear and waits for the worrisome voice.

 

 

“Hi honey, I’m standing in front of the door, but I see that I didn’t take my keys with me. Can you come downstairs and unlock the door for me?” With that, the connection died. Daehyun put the phone on the bed and got up without saying a word. The wife knew he had a call again from the same person and tried to stop him and told him to call the police and that it was not a friend.

 

Daehyun climbed off the bed and got up, he was ready to go down and meet the person face to face. Still feeling obnoxious from deep inside. His wife warned him not to do it. But he didn’t waiver, still planning to go take a look. He took his phone and left the horrified wife behind.

 

Daehyun struggled with each step he took going down the stair until he found himself standing in front the massive wooden front door. His body quivered as a cold wind blew and touched his neck. Gathered up all his courage he went to the door, unlocked it as it made an eerie sound from the hinges. Light from the lampposts penetrated. Daehyun kept his distance and looked down at the light if he could see reflections of a person standing outside. There was nothing and now the door was wide open. Daehyun’s heartbeat dropped, he let the door handle go and pushed the door, closed it and locked it.

 

It didn’t take long for Daehyun to relax and let down his guard. He received another unknown call and quickly answered the call. Before he could say something.

 

 

“Hi honey, I luckily got inside through the back door, I'm standing in the kitchen right now.” The phone call ended with a vile laughter.

 

There was a basket standing next to the entrance with two pairs of an umbrella and a cane. Daehyun went for the cane and twitched it in his hand to find a good grip in case he needs to use it.

 

He didn’t lose his poise and walked motionless to the kitchen. His eyes fixed on every inch that became visible the more he came closer, he didn’t want to overlook anything that moves. Daehyun felt his adrenaline increase intense the closer he came. He was standing between the door frames and everything was so clear. Then that person standing in front the countertop and Daehyun could hear water dripping from the sink faucet. It was humming to a child song. Not something that he was familiar with, not yet.

 

She stopped and so did Daehyun his breath. She didn’t do anything for couple seconds. Her body moved and turned in the direction of the door where Daehyun is standing. Her dark back disappeared, and now they are facing each other. Her face became clearer as Daehyun could make out her face. Her eyes that had seen death, the death itself, yellow-red colored. The grim darkness of her skin, the way her face with full of ominous. She was only staring at him and nothing else. That’s when Daehyun noticed that it wasn’t the sink faucet dripping. Her eyes changed its color and became utter black that her teeth were standing out as she bobbed her head to the side, her smile was so grotesque that it made Daehyun gag which made him look away for a second. It was too late for Daehyun to know he made a big mistake. As soon as he looked back, she was there no more. He searched for the whole kitchen and looked at behind him, nothing. Could that thing go upstairs for his wife?

 

He felt a firm grip on the cane and as the reaction, it made his turn back to the kitchen, it was so cold and vague but those yellow eyes looking at him made him stop in his track. That thing closed the distance between them, it was so hard to breathe. Daehyun clung on the cane and tried with all his might and lash the cane, but he was struggling, it was stuck. That morbid face was the last thing he saw before his vision became blurry and eventually out.

 

 

Daehyun came back to his sense, he had this maddening headache. He tried to grab his head but had difficulties to do so, until he opened his eyes back in the continuing horror. Lying spread over his own bed, both his arms tied on each side, defenseless looking at the back of her wife. That thing was nowhere. Soft sniffing noises came from her to get his wives attention, Daehyun hummed just enough to have her attention. She stopped and quickly turned to look at Daehyun and with a split of a second she looked away. Her whole face was covered with makeup, saliva, and tears and only one thing left to do and that was to get out of this bed.

 

Daehyun remembered to have equipment beside the bed for emergencies. The only problem is, how to grab it. Both his hands are useless now, the legs need to do the work.

 

 

Both of them stopped breathing, after hearing the door crack in the hallway. The strange creature walked in quite relaxed with, the still grim smile on her face. It made Daehyun’s heart race again. The sinister creature turned her attention to Daehyun by slowly climbing on the bed.

 

His wife couldn’t take it and gathered up all her courage. She took the chair and swing it in the direction of the hideous monster. It made her disappear. The wife quickly picked up a nearby scissor and made her way to Daehyun. With panic and all, it took her some time to set him free. But it didn’t take long for them to be at ease. This sudden heavy sleep made them drowsy. Soon they drifted away into a never ending nightmare.

 

 

Daehyun woke up to a high screech, like the one a baby would make. He rubbed his eyelids and got up. He followed the ear-paining noise. The further he comes the worse it gets. The cry was enormous behind a red door. Daehyun pressed down the door handle and stepped inside only to find his wife with the grotesque monster in her arms. Daehyun looked closer and saw blood everywhere on his wife. Her stomach was open and her hands covered in blood.

 

 

“Look at how big our baby has become, dear.” She had a forced smiling.

 

Daehyun came closer and eventually stopped walking. He had difficulty to breathe and grabbed his chest. He was about to collapse but that thing appeared in front him.

 

“Dad?”

 

Breathing became unbearable to Daehyun. His legs gave in and he found himself on the floor kneeling for the monster. A monster they created. It became all clear to him. A small life they were given which they took that life and threw it away. He regrets it now. But it’s all too late.

 

Daehyun looked up and saw her also kneeling down, she was smiling. But shortly it changed to sadness. Her eyes drifting into darkness. And soon Daehyun felt something warm and soggy. He looked down. It was moving and leaking all over Daehyun. His heart had been ripped out of his chest. It slowly died and soon gave up. That’s when a high pitch kept repeating inside his head. It was making Daehyun dizzy and miserable. He was looking at his wife that had already stopped with breathing. He looked at her chest for any motions, but nothing. That was the last thing he saw. And her unforgettable words. “Our baby

 

Daehyun closed his eyes.

 

“Bye daddy.”