Second grain of Rice

A Bowl of Rice

Second story

Characters: Jongup (only)

Genre: fluffy, work

Mrwyoo: It's a short story. I'll try to make the other stories longer.  

 


 

 

 

 

It was a lovely day today, the sun was rising and a nice summer breeze palpating the bare skin of Jongup, who was setting up the beach chairs for the tourists and customers, cleaned every one of them and placed them in order of the map in his hand. After the beach chairs, Jongup opened the beach cafe. He began to mix and pour the cold drinks for the first customers that were coming his way. The first ones to arrive was a couple who just got married, they come to Jongup and had a small chat. Jongup gave them a discount and pointed the couple to take their seats. The young couple appreciated it and moved on. The second group, a group of five active boys running and jumping their way to the beach made Jongup wanting to be young again, he misses his younger days when he was twenty-one, playing and going on vacations with his friends. But he was getting old for that now. Most of his friends got married and they eventually stopped seeing each other. It happens sometimes that they would come together for drinks and talks about the old times. Being married and being a dad is a heavy duty for them.

The beach was getting crowded with freshly woken up boys and girls. Every year Jongup’s place would be full of people and he would get a good amount of earn.

Jongup noticed something amiss up in the distance, he called one of his workers and placed him temporarily to watch over the drinks. It seems that a gang of boys was bothering a weak looking boy.

.

.

.

Any problem boys?

.

.

.

No, we were just talking. Right, my friend. Said one of the strongly built boys who put his arm around the weak boy and grind satisfying at what he said. Body muscle over brain was what Jongup thought looking over at the big guy.

 

 

Jongup snitched and walked to where the muscle boy was standing and threw his arms over the boy’s broad-shoulder. An overwhelming pain hit the body of the muscle boy as he let out a small cry, his body twisted and he automatically loosens up his grip from the weak boy. He may look strong but muscle isn’t everything, you need a healthy tight body. Not a pumped up body. The muscle boy was astonished by just a mere touch of Jongup.

 

 

.

.

.

Great. The one thing I hate the most is violence after a person sticking his nose in someone else’s their job and meddling with their business. Trying to be high and mighty. Why don’t I give you boys drinks, it’s from the house.

 

The other boys saw the look on the muscle boy his face and felt intimidated by Jongup. They put on a cheerful front and smiled awkwardly upon agreeing to Jongup’s proposal.

 

 

Jongup settled down the boys and went back to his bar. Minutes later the weak looking boy came and sat down in front of Jongup. He was signing heavy and looking down at his hands. He made an effort to try talking to Jongup for what he did five minutes ago.

 

.

.

.

Sir, thank you for back then. Was all he said and shut down, but did not leave his seat nor did he look at Jongup.

.

.

.

Not a big deal kiddo, it’s just that your lake of self-confidence is the main problem here. You need to have trust in yourself and stand your ground. You see, back in my time, it was all self-work. But nowadays you can take lessons for building up self-confidence and also you can take self-defense lessons, it might take you more time than others but it’ll work his magic.

.

.

.

My name is Jun and Thank you. The boy smiled and again did not look up at Jongup.

.

.

.

Well, Jun. The name is Jongup. How about looking at me first. Try to show that you are to be taken seriously. Jongup made circles around his face for him to look and to get his full attention.

.

.

.

Jongup smiled and placed a cookie in front of the boy, the moment he lifted his head. Jongup tapped his shoulder while yelling at the workers for goofing around.

 

The day was moving further to the afternoon, the warmest time of the day. A couple of girls came down to the beach. Lively youth, fresh faces giving the beach café a warm, soft and an exciting image. Jongup could smell danger and trouble arising. While the group of six girls marked their territory, the other troublesome boys made their way to where the girls dropped their belongings to settle down. One of the boys shoots the ball in their direction and another running to get the ball back, second after the clumsy kick. But the girl standing closest to the ball showed irritation on her face. She could guess what the next move will be and hit the ball so hard that the boy stopped from moving any further. All six the girls moved in de direction of the water.

 

 

After playing for 30 minutes the girls decided to sit at the bar for a drink to satisfy their thirst

 

 

Somehow Jun ended up taking a place behind the bar. All six of the girls came and sat just right in front of where Jun was standing.

 

.

.

.

Oh, hey Jun. I didn’t know you were working here. A girl with pitch black hair, as dark as her hair, she had mesmerizing deep dark eyes, said as she giggled and looked surprised.

.

.

.

It just happened. He showed a little smile as his eyes were looking for a hole to hide in out of awkwardness and nervousness.

.

.

.

Can we get something cold, how about six lemonades? The girls one by one ordered their favorite lemonade.

.

.

.

Jun prepared the glasses and poured the lemonades out long glass jugs. Jun turned around to put the jugs away and Jongup was staring at Jun, grind his teeth and shivered at how awkward one can be. Jongup shoved a bowl of ice cubes and Jun stopped it without thinking, Jongup was impressed at the fast reflection of Jun.

 

The girls wowed at Jun and wondered where the bowl of ice cubes came from, they turned their head to where Jongup was, leaning against the counter looking at Jun. Quickly one girl locked eyes with Jongup and felt her heart in , while Jongup was waving seductively at them.

 

 

After a long day with a warm weather, happy people and refreshing liquids were ending the day. It was almost closing time and people were packing up and leaving one by one. The young workers were busy cleaning up and setting the things that were needed for tomorrow morning. After the last tourists, Jongup counted the earnings for today. He had a huge profit on day one of the season openings. He called the young workers to come and stand in the line and for celebrating the great amount of money they brought in today, they earned themselves a small bonus. All the workers raise their hands and opened their hands. Jongup quickly walked passed them and at the same time gave them their bonuses. Jun was the last one to receive it too. Everyone looked in their hands but saw nothing more than one cube of ice, that was already melting.

 

.

.

.

Have a cool summer, kids. Now see y’all tomorrow. Jongup was leaning against the cooler and looked at the faces of the young workers, he was found of their expressions and chuckled. Naah, just kidding. I have decided to take all the extra cash and give them at the end of the summer vacation. I know you idiots will spend it out on random and useless junk, so y’all need to forget about the money you guys worked so hard for.

.

.

.

All of the workers nagged and complained as Jongup shooed them away. Jun stayed behind sitting on one of the crutches. Jongup came up and sat next to him.

.

.

.

Something the matter kid? ?” Jongup said as he ticked the boy’s shoulder. Those idiots already spending the money on stupid things, but they work hard and earn it themselves is better than staying at home doing nothing. It’s the same crew I worked with the year. They are good kids but they get distracted really fast.

Jongup grabbed Jun’s shirt and dropped the ice cubes. The ice cubes slide down leaving behind a wet track as it melted. Jun felt his adrenaline go up and made a funny gesture, he quickly pulled his shirt out his shorts and let the tiny ice cubes fall on the ground. Jun looked fierce, he glared at Jongup for what he did. But Jongup just cracked up and pushed Jun away.

That’s a scary face you made. Oh oh. Well, it’s time to go home kid. I’ll see you tomorrow morning 9 am.

Jongup waved and walked in another direction. Jun let out a little smile and started walking home. Maybe he will enjoy this summer vacation, it will go different other than getting beaten up all the time by bigger boys. He really had fun working behind the counter.

But what Jun didn’t know was that up in the distance five shadows lying still waiting for a pedestrian. A day that Jun couldn’t and won’t forget. Who would have thought that it will be coming to an end like this?