The First of Research

The Learning Act

Thank the creators of the internet for search engines!  Also, he thanked his company for the day off.  Of course, it was only a partial bit of the day considering the earlier hours had been filled with two shows.  They would all practice later when everyone’s schedule cleared up.  Currently, U-KISS was back in South Korea as they were preparing for yet another album.

Now, this gave him time to research and send emails to their quiet American fan.  At first, everyone had been skeptical as to whether or not Myra would out all of their secrets.  Well, most of them had been skeptical.  It seemed Myra had been helping Jun a lot with his English speaking and there wasn’t anything on the internet about the fact that she had been talking with members of U-KISS or even knew them.   She had mentioned going to the U-KISS concert and how fantastic they were live, but nothing more than any other fan posted when they went to the concert.  This ended up with the rest of them talking to her about their problems, food recipes, random music ideas, what she thought of certain fashions, her school work and so much more. Not one thing was ever mentioned or leaked or anything.  She stated that she tended to hide the emails as an added protection for them.

He started looking up women of various ethnicities and thinking about what he found attractive about each one.  A lot of times, he caught himself automatically being critical of their appearance or comparing them to some of the female idol groups and the standards of beauty there.  Now, he thought back to Myra. 

At first, he was skeptical to talk with her or get a bit closer to her because of stereotypes and media portrayals.  Even right now, he was starting to look up American news stories and he could rarely find anything good about people of her particular ethnicity.  Everything had to deal with various crimes and odd protests that didn’t even seem to make sense.  The videos he watched online showed people acting in mysterious ways or embodying some of the stereotypes that they were labeled with.

Again, this made him really confused.  Myra didn’t seem to embody any of these negative stereotypes.  She wasn’t overly loud and even spoke in mostly proper sentences, but he didn’t see saying “U-KISS is freaking awesome in concert!” as a bad thing.  She was also very helpful and apparently worked in her field while attending college.  Myra cared for things like politics and did her best to respect other cultures.  The girl wasn’t religious, but she was spiritual and even accepting of people who believed in other things as long as they didn’t try to force her to believe as they did.

He didn’t understand it and while he knew that not everyone was the same, it was odd for him to see such a vast difference in one person.  He could probably ask Eli or Kevin or even AJ about the differences in people from America, but he still wasn’t sure.  Actually, maybe he should ask her.  She was the confusing one after all and she seemed eager to help them learn new things or answer their questions.

In google translate he typed out an email to her and hoped she answered it as soon as she could.  He included the Korean translation as well since google wasn’t the most accurate.

Myra,

I was wondering if you could answer questions for me.  Why are you so different from most of the stereotypes?  I hope this is not offensive to you.  I am really just curious.

Hoon

In America, Myra was happy that she had finished her term paper and could relax the rest of the weekend.  She played a couple of her online games, wrote another chapter of fanfiction for a book series she loved, and then checked her email to see if she had any new messages.  Myra saw that she had a message from Hoon and wondered if he managed to complete the new exercise regimen he had started.  She read over the email and couldn’t help but smile to herself.  Those boys always had so many questions, but it was fun because she felt she was at least a friend or something to them.

Hoon,

I am different because well the media doesn’t really show the normal people like me who just live their everyday lives.  They show the criminals, the angry protesters, and typically keep feeding the flames of racism in this country for ratings.  There are people who embody those stereotypes and feel that they should act a certain way, but not all of us do that.   It would be kind of silly, don’t you think? I mean what progress would be made and how would people get to know us then?   Are you ok?  How is everything going?

Myra

 Myra smiled as she sent off the message and then blinked as she got another message from Jun asking her to help with an English phrase he had heard and if she could define it for him.  Myra glanced at the clock.  It was near three in the morning for her and roughly about four in the afternoon for them.  The American girl just yawned a bit, opened a bottle of caffeinated soda, and then started to help Jun with his work.   She would always be there when a friend needed her.