Too Close

When Nothing Goes Right... Go Left
 "It's actually Tuan Mark, not 'Oh'," he stated.
         I shrank back. I did it again. I just offended him. "I'm sorry, I meant, well, 'Oh' as in 'Oh! It's you!' I know you're 'Tuan' since I'm 'Tuan' too, and..."
 
MARK'S POV
        I'm honestly so stupid. Why did I say that? I meant it as a joke. Of course, I understood what she meant. Oh my gosh, I am going to strangle myself.
       "Again, I'm super sorry about running into you like that. That won't ever happen again." She ducked her head in embarrassment. 
         "It's ok," I mustered out. I went with a short phrase, afraid I'd make a fool out of myself again if I said more than three words.
         All of a sudden, Kyrielle's eyes widened. "Oh my gosh, I'm going to be late to fifth period! I have no idea where my French class is!"
         My breath hitched. I had French next too. Do we have the same teacher? I wondered. I asked her for her schedule, and she gratefully handed it over. I examined her schedule, lingering even over the locations of her other classes. You know... just in case something were to happen.
       "Umm, Mark?" 
        "Yeah?" I glanced away from the paper to face her. 
         She fiddled with her fingers. "Didn't the bell just ring for passing period?"
         I raised an eyebrow and handed back her schedule. Did it ring? How did I not notic- "Ohhh, that was the five minute bell." When I saw her confused expression, I added, "Our school has a five minute warning bell before the end of each class. It's useless, but for some reason, they still keep it." It was true; I always ignored the sound.
         Kyrielle sighed. "Whew, that's a relief. By the way, did you see where my class was?"
         I almost facepalmed myself. By focusing on all her other classes, I had forgotten to look at her next one. "Oops, I forgot." Since I had idiotically given back the paper, I stepped closer to Kyrielle so that I had a better view of the schedule. Our shoulders were touching, and I noticed how she was only as tall as to my chin. It wasn't until too late that I realized I was actually staring at her instead of the paper. I quickly diverted my eyes, hoping she didn't notice. She probably did, with my type of bad luck.
         We had the same class next. Same subject, same teacher. This was just right.
         The real bell rang this time, and everyone started pouring into the hallways like bulls in a stampede. Out of instinct, my arms went out and intrinsically wrapped around her frail shoulders. I didn't know what came over me. Was it because, all these years, I knew what it felt like to be unprotected in a sea of people? Or was it that I wanted to protect Kyrielle? I lost track of the time, and finally backed away to check on her. I found my voice and asked, "Are you okay?"
         She gulped. "Um, I think so." I wasn't aware of our proximity until she stepped away slightly. I shuffled my feet. I probably made her feel uncomfortable. Before I could say anything, she said, "I should get going. It's ok that you couldn't see where my class is. I'll just ask someone else." She smiled reassuringly and started to walk away.
       Before she could get any further, I called out, "W-Wait! We have French together next!"
        Kyrielle turned around. "Omg, are you serious? No way," she gasped cheerfully. 
        This was the first time someone was excited to have a class with me. "Yeah..."
        A burly looking guy who was sprinting to gym class shoved people out of his path aggressively, and one of those people happened to be Kyrielle. Instinctively, I extended my arms to catch her just in time. Since when did I become so reflexive?
         She steadied herself and regained her breathing. She shifted her eyes among the mob of students, and ducked her head a bit as she timidly stated, "Can I... if you don't mind... hold onto you so that we don't get split up?" I was shellshocked. A girl? Holding onto me? Numbly, I guess I had willed my head to work, because then, I felt a soft hand enclose my own. My face started heating up and I didn't even dare look at our hands, afraid that the physical confirmation would just make me more flustered. I couldn't believe that a girl who could easily do more than thirty sit-ups in under a minute (yes, I noticed her back there) had to hold onto my hand to feel safe. What was this strange feeling?
         The 2 minute warning bell sounded. "Darn," I murmured. Our class was nearly across campus. Without saying or warning her, I gave her hand a tug and we broke into a run. Danggit, if I'm late, my perfect attendance will be stained forever.