Awkward Small Talk

When Nothing Goes Right... Go Left

    “Everyone, line up!” Mr.Yoo’s whistle sounded twice and the mass of students fell into order. Three other PE classes rowdily formed a somewhat straight line, but for Mr.Yoo’s class, everyone stood as straight as a pin, afraid of the wrath that would ensue the stringent teacher. Mark was already situated as number 13 in line, due to his last name, Tuan. He couldn’t help but notice how that number fit his life so well.

    “Hello.”

    JB was startled when a small voice sounded next to his right ear. His body jerked, and he did an obvious double take when he took in the appearance of Kyrielle, who stood next to him in line, dressed in the proper PE attire of black basketball shorts and a white shirt.

    “H-Hi…?” he stammered. He never really knew how to properly say hi or make small talk.

    Kyrielle gave a bold smile, showcasing two white rows of teeth. Mark unconsciously noticed how two of her side teeth were tilted just slightly, giving her an innocent and cute image. She said, “I’m Kyrielle Tuan. And you are?”

    Mark’s eyes bulged. No one around here had the last name “Tuan” besides himself. He had always thought people deliberately avoided that last name just so they wouldn’t have to stand next to him in roll call. “I’m Mark.”

    She nodded politely. “Oh, I know a few Marks.” She counted on her fingers. “Three others to be exact.”

    Mark chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “Oh…”

    Mr.Yoo scanned the line with his clipboard and checked off each student, saving Mark from the task of trying to reply to her. How was he going to survive this kind of small talk every day for the rest of the year? By the end of the line, the teacher his heels and blew his whistle. “Take two laps and meet back here for the sit-ups evaluation!”

   Mark’s mind instantly dropped at the notion of having to run those dreaded warmup laps, but, he was reminded of his grades. Releasing a sigh of defeat, he willed his legs to kick start into a brisk jog. It wasn’t until thirty seconds later when he realized Kyrielle had been jogging next to him the entire time.

“I just don’t want to get mixed up and accidentally merge with the other gym classes. I hope you don’t mind.” She smiled.

He wanted to open his mouth to dismiss her worries, but keeping up this pace was already tiring enough, let alone speak. Where was Jae Bum when he needed him? So instead, since he was basically handicapped, Mark just shook his head from side to side, hoping that she would understand the implication. His heart pounded in his chest as she laughed. He guessed she understood him.

The two laps seemed to finish a lot faster than usual, because sooner than expected, the entire class was now in the mat room. Everyone had ragged breaths that made Mark feel like the atmosphere was getting clogged up. “Last names N through Z, you’re up first. Lie down in alphabetical order.”

Kyrielle glanced over at Mark. “Is Mr.Yoo always straightforward like this?” she jokingly asked.

Mark gave a short chuckle. “Somewhat.” He found a mat labeled 13, and squatted down, waiting for further instructions.

“Everyone, lay on your backs, hands on the tape, and legs on the edge of the mat. If I see anyone cheating or not doing a proper sit-up, that person will get an automatic point deduction. Am I clear?”

“Yes, Mr.Yoo,” the class replied in unison. He had that scary effect on others.

Mark crawled into the proper position on the mat and laid on his back. His face pointed to the ceiling. The passing count for a senior guy was 30 sit-ups. Mark closed his eyes. He could barely do ten. Let’s get ready to be embarrassed.

 

YOUR / KYRIELLE’S POV

     Mark’s posture was a bit off. His hands were way too outstretched to be considered on the tape. His back was too arched, and his feet were too close to his body. Mr.Yoo was about to start the counting, but I called out to stop him. “Wait, please, Mr.Yoo. I think I need to help Mark adjust.”

     Mark seemed startled that I would call him out like that, but I disregarded that fact. He would thank me later for this, I smiled satisfactorily. Leaning over to his mat, I grabbed his hands and adjusted them to where his fingertips were aligned with the tape, and I pressed down a bit on his stomach to lower the arch. I disguised my smile with a small cough, but I couldn’t suppress it. His abdomen was soft, unlike those guys who worked out excessively. Finally, I told him to straighten out his legs before I returned to my mat and got into position. “Sorry for the interruption, Mr.Yoo. We’re ready now.”

     My eyes have left his face, but from my side, I could hear Mark gulp. Was he that nervous for the sit-ups? I peeked at him from my peripheral vision. He seemed to be sweating. I bit on my bottom lip nervously. I hope I didn’t embarrass him in front of the class. I just wanted to help him…

     Mr.Yoo called out to begin, and so we followed his voice and count. By sit-up number 20, I heard some straining by my side. Mark’s face was bright red and beads of sweat were clearly visible along his forehead and jawline.

     “Come on, Mark!” A guy from the back called out. He was tall and had dark hair. “Only ten more!”

     All the while, I continued my row of sit-ups, not really feeling tired yet, despite the fact that girls only had to complete 20 sit-ups to pass. I decided to continue them so that I would be there to encourage him. “Come on, Mark,” I willed. “I know you can do it!”

     We were on number 27. Only three more.

     I matched my pace with his.

     28.

     He seemed to almost want to pass out.

     29.

     His entire body shook as his abdomen folded another time.

     ...30…

     Halfway up, Mark rolled onto his side, in deep heaving breaths.

     Did that count? I anxiously thought. Please say that counted; he tried so hard.

     When I glanced in Mr.Yoo’s direction for clarification, I was surprised to see that the blonde haired guy was sparking up a conversation with the teacher.

     “Jae Bum, please return to your spot. I’m trying to monitor the class.” It was then that Mr.Yoo’s attention returned to the people doing sit-ups. His eyes latched onto Jae Bum, who was crippled over in anguish. I had already stopped my sit-ups as well. “And how many have you two done?” our teacher questioned.

     Mark opened his mouth to answer. “Twe-”

     I cut him off. “Mark and I both did thirty,” I declared.

    Mark turned to me and whispered, “But I couldn’t finish the last one.”

     I placed a discreet finger to my lips. “I gotchu.”