Am I Offending You?

When Nothing Goes Right... Go Left

  After everyone finished their sit-ups evaluation, we had five minutes of free time left over of class. Since I was a new student, I didn't know anyone besides Mark, who, oddly, was inching away from me. I knew it was kind of a bold move to call him out like that, but what could I do? His gym grade would surely take a plunge if I hadn't done so.

     Seeing him sit on the edge of the bleachers by himself, I found it as the perfect opportunity to approach him and try to make things better. I began to take a few strides, but from the opposite direction, that dark haired guy was also closing in on Mark. Is that one of his friends? After all, he did try to help by distracting Mr.Yoo when Mark was about to collapse from the sit-ups.
     But not wanting to back down, I continued my strides and reached Mark at the exact moment the other guy did. Mark, who was staring at his tennis shoes the entire time, probably sensed the presence of two figures practically towering over him. He glanced up, startled, but didn't say anything.
     The other guy spoke. "Ayo, Mark. Get up and let's play some basketball. Me and the guys are shooting some hoops over there." He nodded to the right side of the gym. 
     Mark, turned the other way and wrapped his arms around his torso tightly. "It's alright, JB. I don't feel like playing today."
     I saw JB an eyebrow. "But you've never played. C'mon man! Give b-ball a chance!" he coerced.
      Mark hefted his shoulders and dropped them despairingly. "I guess today isn't the day that that's going to change."
     JB shrugged. "Ok, man. But we'll be there if you ever change your mind." Mark nodded. Heaving a sigh, JB his heels, but it wasn't until then that he noticed my presence. "Oh, are you a friend of Mark?"
     I gave a crooked smile and replied, "Sort of. We kinda just met today. I'm a new student."
      JB's mouth curved into an "Ohh" gesture. "I see, I see." He smiled, and his teeth seemed perfect. They were one of the clearest sets of teeth I've ever seen; I've always wondered how people keep their teeth so white all the time.
     "... name?"
     I snapped out of my thoughts as I heard the last few words of his statement. "Wait, can you repeat that please?" I chuckled awkwardly. "Sorry, I wasn't listening." So embarrassing.
      JB laughed it off. "Eh, nothing. I just asked you for your name."
      Mark peered up at Mark strangely. "Didn't you also just ask her for her number-"
       JB rammed a palm against Mark's lips to shush him up. "No, of course not." He defended himself.
      I didn't know who to believe. "Umm, I guess to start off, my name is Kyrielle. I'm a junior."
      JB's hand fell from the other's mouth. "Really? A junior, in a senior-level PE class?" he gaped. "Wow, you must be really good at sports then."
      I shrugged. "Not really. I just want to get my high school credits over with early." I seemed to have unintentionally caught Mark's attention. Strangely, I had almost forgotten he was still there. He was such a quiet fellow.
      JB nodded politely. "Ohh, in that case, Kyrielle, would you like to join me and the guys for some basketball? And if you go, that might give our little friend here some motivation to play too." He gave a sly wink to the other guy.
       Mark scrunched up his face in disgust. "Sorry, JB. But me and sports just Do. Not. Mix." He leaned back against the bleachers. 
       JB stuck out his tongue. "Boo, you're no fun." He turned to me. "Kyrielle, please tell me you'll join."
        As much as a friendly game of basketball was calling to me, I felt inclined to talk to Mark. I shook my head. "Thank you, but I'll have to pass." I plopped down next to Mark. "Have fun!"
       JB pouted, but in another second, he replaced it with a wink. "Ok, but I'll still be waiting!" With that, he jogged back to his group of five guys.
       Mark mumbled something under his breath, but I couldn't catch what. "Sorry, did you say something?" I asked.
       He looked startled. "Uhh, no... nothing. I- um, nothing."
      I chuckled and leaned back so that my elbows were resting on the steps behind me. "It's ok; I won't tell anyone," I joked.
       He furrowed his brows. "I didn't intend anything...bad."
        I nodded sarcastically. "Uh-huh, sureee. I bet you were muttering something about that JB guy, am I right?" I prodded an accusing finger in front of his nose.
        He rose up his arms to defend himself, but then just let them fall limp to his sides. "Yeah..." he admitted.
        I smirked satisfactorily. "See?" I poked his nose. "Now doesn't letting it out feel better?"
        He shrugged. "Not really. I'd rather have kept that to myself." Mark looked a bit dejected.
        I bit my lower lip. Shoot, did I just offend him again? The whole purpose of coming up to him this time was to apologize. Ugh, I probably just made things worse. I tried to change the subject, but I had no idea what subject would be okay to ask him. "Are you a senior?" That was a stupid question, but at least the topic was changed.
         Mark nodded. "Yeah. I mean, we are in a fourth year PE class, right?" he gave a small, barely visible, half-smile. So this guy did have a sense of humor.
         I decided to just give him the benefit of the doubt. "Yup, you've got me. I totally forgot about that."
        He just stared at me blankly for what seemed like forever. Was he not going to reply. I was about to change the topic yet again, when he simply said, "Those who hide what they know in the face of an enemy are the wisest."
       I was taken aback. Did he realize my intentions that quickly? Was I really that obvious? "I-"
       The bell rang to coerce everyone back into the locker rooms to change out into regular clothes.
        Mark stood up without another word. "Bye." He walked towards the guys' locker room.
        I sat back for a couple moments, contemplating how I would ever be able to have a normal, non-awkward conversation with this guy. And even as I made my way back into the crowded locker room, changed into my black tee shirt and jeans, and laced up my red converse, I was still trying to formulate a proper conversation with the guy. When I was done, not surprisingly, all the other girls were still too busy reapplying their makeup and redoing their ponytails. I mentally tsked at them and grabbed my heather gray backpack. The bell for next period rang, and I scrambled to exit the locker room. I still haven't memorized my schedule yet!
       With shaking hands and wobbly legs, I sprinted out of the locker room, my fingers struggling to unfold my crumpled schedule. B415...? Where the heck is that?!
       Unknowingly, most likely because I wasn't watching where I was going, I rammed straight into someone's back. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where-" My eyes bulged when I realized who it was. "Oh, Mark!"