Final

Remember Me?

It had been an exhausting day-mentally and physically. Interviews, photoshoots and of course, evading whords of screaming fangirls was all in a days work for Park Chanyeol: 23 year old actor with a baby face and a wide, borderline creepy grin (atleast that's what his manager said). As soon as he was inside, his body hit the couch with a loud 'thump'. On days like these, he often wondered why he chose to have the world's most un-private job: a celebrity. Of course, we all have that one special dream when we're younger; a dream that is highly likely to stay one. For Chanyeol, it was always to be in front of the camera and be the centre of attention. He was the class clown, he was the one that people went to everytime they needed consoling, he was the the teachers pet and now, he was a the nation's most famed actor. His dream was lucky; it turned out to be his reality. But nothing is achievable without sacrifices and Park Chanyeol is no exception to that rule. 

"Get your lazy up and go and eat dinner." His manager-Kyungsoo-stormed inside and kicked Chanyeol to the ground. He landed with a pained oomphh and a hey hyung, I'm tired, leave me alone

No doubt it didn't work (it never does) and before he knew it, Kyungsoo was practically shoving a spoonfull of kimchi spaghetti into his mouth. 

"Hyung! be careful, this face is worth millions" He cried indigantly to which his manager just gave him one of his infamous glares and stalked off towards the kitchen. 

Just as he was about to swallow another spoonfull of Kyungsoo's heavenly food (though he'd never admit that), the doorbell rang. 

"Who the is it at this hour? Do people not have manners? I swear it if's one of the fangirls..." Kyungsoo mumbled angrily while stomping over to the door and peeking into the screen of the digital monitor that shows who is outside the door. It happened to be a boy wearing a plaid shirt along with skinny jeans and a snapback holding some sort of letter in his hands. 

"What is it?" Kyungsoo asked into the monitor, startling the boy behind it. He quickly gained his composure and stared into the camera,

"Nothing much, just wanted to meet Park Chanyeol." The boy answered back nonchantly.

"Well you can't. He's busy right now and doesn't want to meet anyone." Kyungsoo was seething at this point. There was something about this particular boy he didn't like, something that told him that he brought lots of confused feelings with him. 

"Just tell him that Jongin's here. Believe me, he'll want to see me." 

"Fine" the said boy's manager grumbled and went inside the kitchen to find Chanyeol. 

"There's a guy outside, he say's his name is Jongin and that he wants to see you." Kyungsoo muttered while walking past him. 

For a second everything froze for Chanyeol. His heart, his breath, even the piece of unchewed kimchi lay stand-still inside his mouth. Jongin...Baekhyun's best friend. He scrambled up from the chair and almost fell over in his hurry to reach the door. 

When he reached the door, he stood there for a minute contemplating whether or not to open it. Chanyeol didn't like to admit but it was true that when he became famous, he started neglecting his friends and now seeing one of them turn up to his door was almost as awkward as a Park Chanyeol from 5 years ago. 

Gathering up enough courage, he slowly twisted the handle to unlock the door and face his former friend. 

 

 

 

Jongin was never sad. He, just like Chanyeol, was one of the most happiest people one could meet. So when he saw him standing outside the door with a pained expression, it hurt and felt a bit confusing. 

"J...Jongin..what are you doing here?" It felt weird talking to his former friend again. The last time they had a decent conversation was nearly 5 years ago and Chanyeol could tell that Jongin had changed a lot since then. 

"Here" Jongin took out what looked like an envelope from his hands and handed it to Chanyeol "It's for you." And before Chanyeol could reply or even ask what was inside the package, Jongin took off and never looked back at him. All Chanyeol could do was stare at his retreating figure in shock. It had been so long since they had met and now, Jongin had taken off before they could even ask eachother how they were. 

You have no right to be angry, Park. Chanyeol quickly dismissed any incoming feelings of betrayel and sadness. The past is in the past. He decided with a firm nod of his head. 

After closing the front door, he quietly walked back inside into the kitchen where Kyungsoo was eating his dinner and scrolling through the daily tabloids. 

"I'm not going to ask who that was Park Chanyeol. But I'm trusting you enough to make sure that that boy isn't anyone who could ruin your reputation." Kyungsoo raised a brow at him in question. Chanyeol could tell that his manager was dying to relieve his curiosity but he also respected the younger's privacy- something that was like a rare jewel now. 

He shook his head and muttered "Nobody important."

Kyungsoo looked like he didn't believe him but carried on muching his food and scrolling through his phone. Just as Chanyeol was about to sit down and finish his dinner, the elder's voice rang out.

"You know...over here it says something about you and Sandara Park dating. Apparently they even have pictures of you two on a date."

Chanyeol lowered his head and sighed. It was true, they weren't exactly dating but they weren't exactly friends either. They were kind of just stuck in the middle. Chanyeol was planning to ask her out for dinner but he never had the time or chance to. 

"It's nothing. I'm going to bed now, I just feel tired." Without waiting for a reply, he got up and left the kitchen for his room. It was then he noticed that he was still cluthing onto the letter Jongin had given him earlier. He sat onto the bed and opened the seal with shaky hands. All of a sudden a strong smell of frangipani and vanilla hit him, igniting years worth of memories and a certain brown-haired boy. His eyes automatically filled up and he felt stupid for nearly crying over something that was finsihed years ago. 

With a heavy heart and sad eyes, Chanyeol unfurled the paper and started reading the letter.

Dear Park Chanyeol

They say that love at first sight doesn't exist and I used to believe them too until I saw you. To me, you were the most beautiful person I had ever met. Your heart was a jewel in itself; fragile, rare and utterly breath-taking. I can still remember looking into your eyes and getting lost within your universe. A 16 year old boy named Baekhyun had fallen in love that day. Never had I ever imagined that you might've liked me back, maybe if I had realised earlier we could've started dating then. But no! I was clueless of your feelings for a long time, all the while I was still hiding mine. I think Jongin was the first one to tell me that you liked a certain boy named Baekhyun and I was stupid enough to think it was someone else. If only I had known back then that that person was me, our time spent together could have been longer. How could I forget the time you asked me out on a date? You stuttered and stumbled over your words- something I wouldn't have expected from Park Chanyeol. Yet, your akwardness was adorable and before I knew it I was deeply and utterly in love. The time we spent together can't be replaced, it's precious and cherished. The memories you created with me are beautiful just because you were in them, you may never realise it but the way you changed my world has and always will have an impact on my life. You probably don't remember it but once you took me away from the city to see the stars at night and as I tried to take pictures of the glowing orbs, you took mine. When I asked you why you were taking pictures of the you replied with "you're taking pictures of the stars and I'm taking pictures of mine." It was at that moment I realised how scared I was to lose you. The 2 years we spent together were the 2 years of my life I won't forget. You taught me to smile more, laugh more but most importantly, you taught me to love more. When I found out that you wanted to go to Seoul and become an actor is when I realised that you were a free spirit. You were are like the wind: free and untameable and I did wrong trying to hold you down. Park Chanyeol, this is probably the last letter I will send to you. There were hundreds before this but I guess they got lost in the midst of your fanmail, this is why I'm sending Jongin now because if I leave without writing my feelings to you, I know I'll regret it. It hurts seeing your face everyday; on bus no. 28 -our bus-, on the banners at the subway, in magazines, newspapers everywhere. I guess you finally succeeded in fulfilling your dreams but because of that, I lost mine: you. By writing this letter, I'm finally letting go of you, our memories and past. You are and always will be my life Park Chanyeol, without you I can't function. I love you

Goodbye

Byun Baekhyun

Chanyeol didn't realise he was crying until he found splotches of ink on the letter from Baekhyun. He still remembered- how couldn't he? That night 5 years ago he made the biggest mistake of his life: leaving his lover. Baekhyun was right, Chanyeol was a free spirit and he couldn't bare the idea of staying in one place forever. So he left. He knew it was going to hurt both him and Baekhyun but the impact was worse than he thought. Everyday he would recieve messages from his then ex? lover and Chanyeol being the fool he is, thought it was better to not reply to them. Slowly they stopped and so did Chanyeol's heart. He stopped functioning and doing basic things like eating, sleeping or even crying. He needed to go back to Baekhyun but he stupidly thought that his ex boyfriend might do better without him. Now, he knew what he had lost and it hurt. Chanyeol's tears wouldn't stop and his heart was aching painfully inside his chest. He growled and whimpered and shouted until Kyungsoo came inside him room and held him. Chanyeol was thankful no questions were asked because right now, he couldn't even talk. 

"Chanyeol...y..you might want to look at this..." Kyungsoo's said for the first time since he came inside the room. He handed Chanyeol a small slip of paper that he hadn't even noticed was there. He took one glance at it and his heart froze.

You are invited to Byun Baekhyun's Funeral

Date: 4/09/2015

Time: 10.00am

Place: _________

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol never went. He knew he should've gone but he didn't have the courage to. He didn't want his last memory of Baekhyun to be with him in a coffin; silent, un-moving and...dead. For the first time in 5 years, he called Jongin and luckily, the other hadn't changed his number. There was a lot of tears and angry shouts (mainly from Jongin) until he finally told Chanyeol that Baekhyun had committed suicide. Baekhyun, his Baekhyun, the Baekhyun that was always smiling, laughing and putting up with Park Chanyeol had taken his own life? The saddest part was that Chanyeol knew it was because of him. On the day of the funeral, he sat cooped up inside his room and wondered if he was making the second biggest mistake of his life. Baekhyun was Chanyeol's life and now that he was gone forever, it seemed like the latter had forgotten how to fucntion. 

 

 

10 years later~

 

"Yeri-ah!" Chanyeol's 3 year old daughter was the naughtiest thing ever but then again, Chanyeol thought he was the one to blame since she had gone on him. Currently, he was in the middle of having a panic attack while trying figure out where exactly she disappeared to. 

"Yeri-ah come back please! Appa is scared." 

He looked around the amusement park in fear, if Yeri got lost then he would never forgive himself. Suddenly, a small form crashed into his legs and he breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that it was his daughter. 

"Yeri, do you realise how sacred appa was? Where did you go?" He questioned her while leaning down and checking her body for any injuries. 

"I wanted to get that balloon but then I didn't see where appa was and I got scared." She mumbled while looking down and shuffling her feet. Even though Chanyeol was kind of angry, he couldn't resist the aegyo from his daughter but beofre he could say anything, she beat him to it.

"But Yeri is okay because this nice oppa took care of her." She grinned and pointed frantically in the direction she came from. Chanyeol stood up and tried to glance for any particularly young looking boys but he couldn't see any. 

"Yeri-ah, I don't see any..." And there it was; the familiar tuft of brown hair. The boy was sporting a grin that brought back hundreds of equally painful and beautiful memories. Chanyeol could feel his body freeze at the sight of his ex-lover who was supposed to be dead 10 years ago. 

"That's him right there!" Yeri was pointing to the Baekhyun? look-alike and smiling. Chanyeol looked down at his daughter, then back up only to see that the familiar yet strange boy had disappeared and left in his wake a unique scent.

The scent of frangipani and vanilla